Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the heck!!!! Weight going up

Hi I have been having steady weight loss for the past 2months with no fill and no hunger. I still don't get really hungry but I can eat a bit more. I mainly eat Protein. Lately I am nibbling out of boredom and head hunger. I was 173 2 weeks ago. Now I am 176. I have lost inchesduring this time. My clothes fit lose. I have not had a period in 2 months by the way. Not pregnant. I am really getting depressed. I don't feel like I need a fill because I am pretty satisfied with my meals. I eat under 1000 calories a day. Please help. I hate seeing the scale go up.

Try upping your calories to 1200-1300. I've found that when I try to limit myself to 1000 and below, my body goes into starvation mode and I hold onto every calorie I take in.

Being able to eat a bit more and nibbling and increased head hunger are actual signs that you might need a tiny increase in Fluid in your band.

Not having a cycle in 2 months is a bit worrisome. If this continues, you need to schedule a visit with whoever does your gyn care. An excessive build up of endometrial lining can over time lead to very serious problems. (I know.. btdt) And this might also be contributing to the scales going up.

Protein is good, but sometimes when I get the need to chew, but I'm not really hungry, I try baby carrots or celery or something like that. Those little Sunburst yellow tomatoes are very good.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi I have been having steady weight loss for the past 2months with no fill and no hunger. I still don't get really hungry but I can eat a bit more. I mainly eat Protein. Lately I am nibbling out of boredom and head hunger. I was 173 2 weeks ago. Now I am 176. I have lost inchesduring this time. My clothes fit lose. I have not had a period in 2 months by the way. Not pregnant. I am really getting depressed. I don't feel like I need a fill because I am pretty satisfied with my meals. I eat under 1000 calories a day. Please help. I hate seeing the scale go up.

Christina,

Are you keeping track of *everything* you put in your mouth in something like fitday.com? Sometimes when we 'nibble', we can rack up several hundred calories without even realizing it.

Are you drinking enough Water (64 fl oz per day)? Our organs need it to function efficiently and I've found that not only am I more tired when I don't drink enough, but my weight loss stalls.

You may not be eating enough calories. Some people can lose weight at less than 1000. Some of us don't. Our bodies become very efficient at hanging on to those calories. Try upping your calories to 1100 and see what happens.

You may also be more sensitive to carbs. Try keeping your carbs under 60 at least.

You are so close to your goal weight (unlike those of us with over 100 pounds still to lose) that the difference between the calories needed to maintain your current weight vs. your ideal weight are probably only a couple hundred calories. You can see what that is by going here. First put in the info for your current weight. Then your ideal weight. You'll probably only have a couple hundred calories difference.

Instead of reducing calories to create a bigger deficit, you can also increase your activity.

Being so close to your goal weight, the key here is *consistency*. You have to *consistently* create that deficit on a daily basis. If you have one day at 1000 and another at 1300 and another at 900 and another at 1600...it is very possible that you won't lose and, depending on your bodies needs, may even gain.

You just have to keep tweaking things until you find what works for you....and quit nibbling out of boredom. ;)

I track my nibbling as well. I use loseit.com . I my be carb sensitive. My ObGyn knows about me period irregularity and wants me to start minera birth controbto regulate my cycle and shed the lining. I drink 72 ounces of Water a day. When I nibble it is 1 cookie or who's wheat crackers ( 60 calories). Maybe I should up Protein. I get about 70 grams. I dont eat much at a time. Breakfast is 1 veggie sausage and 1 egg. lunch is sardines or tuna salad with ww crackers. dinner is 1 or 2 pieces of chicken and sometimes 3slicesvof baked potato. snack is Brie cheese and ww crackers. What do you think?

I track my nibbling as well. I use loseit.com . I my be carb sensitive. My ObGyn knows about me period irregularity and wants me to start minera birth controbto regulate my cycle and shed the lining. I drink 72 ounces of Water a day. When I nibble it is 1 cookie or who's wheat crackers ( 60 calories). Maybe I should up Protein. I get about 70 grams. I dont eat much at a time. Breakfast is 1 veggie sausage and 1 egg. lunch is sardines or tuna salad with ww crackers. dinner is 1 or 2 pieces of chicken and sometimes 3slicesvof baked potato. snack is Brie cheese and ww crackers. What do you think?

Just my .02 but I'd up the calories a bit and watch the carbs..try to keep them under 60. I eat 2 eggs and 2 sl of bacon for breakfast (or a low carb/low cal Protein shake with half a banana and a Tbs of peanut butter) and then 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup rice or potatoes for lunch and dinner. I have had Brie and a slice of french bread as an evening snack but when I do that, it's planned and I don't eat the rice or potatoes at dinner.

Your 2 cents is gratly appreciated. I will try to increase calories. Do you think I need a fill, elfie?

Today the scale went up another half pound. everyday it goes up a bit. 2 weeks ago I was 173 now It says 176. I am really depressed and ready to cry. I don't know what is going on. I try to get more calories or Protein but I really am not hungry. HELP Please

please don't cry....look at that ticker! You've done great so far. :) Keep hanging in there! Can you call your doctor for an appt to discuss the possibility of needing a fill? I know you are watching your nibble food but maybe pull back from that a bit til the scale starts moving again. Are you exercising? Maybe if you can throw a routine in or try a new one that will help jump start your metabolism with the change you are making in your calorie intake.

I would really put down the crackers and the potatoes. That could be what is causing the problem. Also, I think you weight gain has more to do with that is going on with your period than what is going on with your food intake. You might have noticed that weighing around your time of the month sometimes makes your weight higher/stay the same. Always take that into consideration. If you are losing inches, but not pounds, it probably means you have quite a bit of Water weight going on. Also, please don't let anyone convince you that not eating enough calories puts you into starvation mode. It doesn't. Starvation mode is a myth! http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Good luck and definitely talk to your gyno. He may have some ideas of what might be able to help.

Gyno wants to put me on iud. I swear I look smaller. Even my husband thinks so. There is no way I can be up 3 pounds. I am going to take your advice and forget the crackers and potatos. I will try adding salad. Will salad go down ok? I really have not tried many different things yet

I cannot do salad very easily. The lettuce just doesn't cooperate very well. I know some people that eat it all the time though. We all are different. I like steamed broccoli and carrots. I just carry them to work with me in a container and throw them in the microwave with a little Water for a couple of minutes. Chili is my go to food though. It is good for you and easy. It has carbs, but they are good carbs. It is just a process of elimination. I do have a general rule that I go by: Nothing with over 3-5 grams of sugar. Not for a whole meal, but for each individual item. This helps keep the bad carbs out of your diet, as well as high fructose corn Syrup and bad sugars. I can really tell a difference doing that. Good luck!

Remember, women can gain up to 10 lbs a month (then lose it) just because thats how our bodies work. Even if you're not having your period it could still be a temporary gain based on your cycle.

As long as you're losing inches, you're fine.

Try upping your calories to 1200-1300. I've found that when I try to limit myself to 1000 and below, my body goes into starvation mode and I hold onto every calorie I take in.

I have found the same but it does best if I "shock it" into moving by having a few days at 1100 or so and then throw in an 800 calorie day.

Not to be sarcastic.....but how often are you weighing yourself? It is normal for our weight to fluctuate, even within the same day.

I know if I get on the scale too often, I get discouraged. Sticking to once a week at most has really helped me.

Jackie