Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to loose your first thirty or fifty pounds?

How long did it take you to loose your first 30 or 50 pounds?

How long after you had the surgery did you notice the weight loss?

I lost 45 after 2 months after I was banded but keep in mind this is not the same for everyone. Some lose quicker, others slower. I noticed around 20-30lbs lost when I was dropping clothing sizes.

I lost almost 30 lbs pre-surgery (I put myself on a strict Atkins-like low carb presurgical diet for a month and a half). I have lost 50 since surgery, which was 4 months ago, so that's a total of 80+ lost. No one really noticed I was losing weight until I was down 60 from my high, but I noticed as soon as my clothes started fitting differently at about 20 down.

Keep in mind that I am a "lucky" one and I know a lot of people who had surgery the same time I did, who have had more fills, and have not lost anywhere close to what I have. One of the biggest depressing downers is when you compare your weight loss to the one or two people who do phenomenal, assume that is the norm, and then are completed crushed that you're not losing at the same rate. Resist doing that-- as long as you are following doctor's orders, the chances that you will lose weight eventually are very very good.

1-2 lbs a week is healthy and normal, but I've seen lots of people who are losing 1 lb week upset because they are losing slow-- they aren't, they are losing at the expected rate (that's 4-5 lbs a month). It's the super-losers who are doing something strange and unusual but because we all want to be the super fast losers, we set them up in our minds as the norm when they are not at all.

As some others have mentioned DONT compare your weight loss to others just focus on doing everything right and as long as the numbers are going down and not up you are on the right track. It took me 8 months to lose the first 50 pounds and I noticed it when my clothes started being to big.

1-2 lbs a week is healthy and normal, but I've seen lots of people who are losing 1 lb week upset because they are losing slow-- they aren't, they are losing at the expected rate (that's 4-5 lbs a month). It's the super-losers who are doing something strange and unusual but because we all want to be the super fast losers, we set them up in our minds as the norm when they are not at all.

I think that's a point a lot of people forget. The way I found it to be was if you want rapid weight loss go with gastric bypass (you will lose more initially than gastric banding), but if you want long term and body adaptable weight loss go with gastric band (where you choose if it works for you or not, and yes I know that could incite a flame war).

One to two lbs a week is a calorie deficiency of 3,700-7,400. If you were eating 2,200 calories a day prior to surgery then reduced yourself to 1,500 calories a day that's a loss of 5.28 lbs/month. So those people who are losing 20 lbs/month are both drastically limiting their calories and working out to expend more calories. Unless you do the same, don't expect those results.

I am five months out and am down 25. I religously measure out my Protein try to eat healthy and exercise 7 days a week. I'm just now starting to get restriction and yes am a little frustrated. I had been on a strict diet 8 months prior to surgery so I don't know if that is why I'm a slow loser.

Good Point bandsters!!

I agree 100% with your postings. I believe it's better to loose the weight slow and keep it off than loose it fast and have a rebound. Our body needs to adjust as we are loosing the weight.

I was banded Dec. 29th and have lost about 23 pound. I feel great with the weight off.

I don't think it is a matter of comparing ourselves to others who have lost the weight fast or slow but rather a motivation that keeps us focus on our goal without really worrying about the time we take to get there. My intention of posting this questions was for everyone to see that no matter how much time it takes to get to 30 or 50 we have a hope of getting there. It could be in a matter of weeks, months or even a year but the good thing is that we will get there just like it happened the fast loosers or the slow loosers. The band has given me that hope that had been fading with every failed attempt. I know now that I will loose the excess weight and reading your posts motivates me and helps me reasure that my descision of having this surgery will work for me as it has worked for the majority of people.

Thank you for your postings and keep them coming!!!!!!!

With lots of loveeee

Chicaband

I lost almost 30 lbs pre-surgery (I put myself on a strict Atkins-like low carb presurgical diet for a month and a half). I have lost 50 since surgery, which was 4 months ago, so that's a total of 80+ lost. No one really noticed I was losing weight until I was down 60 from my high, but I noticed as soon as my clothes started fitting differently at about 20 down.

Keep in mind that I am a "lucky" one and I know a lot of people who had surgery the same time I did, who have had more fills, and have not lost anywhere close to what I have. One of the biggest depressing downers is when you compare your weight loss to the one or two people who do phenomenal, assume that is the norm, and then are completed crushed that you're not losing at the same rate. Resist doing that-- as long as you are following doctor's orders, the chances that you will lose weight eventually are very very good.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

You are truly a motivation for those who are struggling!!!

I am five months out and am down 25. I religously measure out my Protein try to eat healthy and exercise 7 days a week. I'm just now starting to get restriction and yes am a little frustrated. I had been on a strict diet 8 months prior to surgery so I don't know if that is why I'm a slow loser.

The good thing is that you are loosing and at the end that's all it matters. Having the band is a hope that some day we will be close to or at our ideal weight. Keep it up because aside from loosing the weight you are helping your body to become more healty. The changes you have made after the band will help you live longer and enjoy life to the fullest. Think about it, did you use to measure your proteing intake or escersise months prior to the surgery??? Probably not but I truly believe that those changes in your lifestyle will help your heart, and all important and vital organs to work to thier capacity for you to live a better life.

Congratulations!

I first noticed I'd lost weight because my face looked thinner within a couple of weeks after surgery, and my double chin is gone. But the kicker came when I was dressing for my first workday back, after three weeks off to recover from surgery. I fastened my pants and they about fell to the floor. I put on my favorite belt, only to discover I needed to punch a new hole in it, inches smaller than the previous hole. I went clothes shopping, and bought shirts all a size smaller than the size I wore previously (2XL instead of 3XL), and now i'm finding some of those may be a tad too big. If I'm actually nearly down to just an XL shirt size, that'll be smaller than I've been in about ten years. OMFG!

Dave

I started the presurgery diet on 11/23. I lost 22 lbs. Since surgery on 12/9 I have lost 27bs for a total of 50 lbs.

Keep in mind every one is different. A gal I met at the Dr office was banded the same day as I and she hasnt lost much since the surgery... she is going for her 2nd fill tomorrow and I havent even had a fill yet.

I was banded Sept 13, 2010. weight on day of surgery 277 today's weight 258. I admit I have not been trying at all what with the holidays and all. Seems like I am at long last able to stay the same and not balloon back up to 280-300 range. if nothing else my band is helping me keep the weight off, i still eat too much surgeon said she didn't think i needed a fill i probably do but I am afraid...maybe I am not ready, i do not want to damage my esophogus by continuing to eat too much. good luck

How long did it take you to loose your first 30 or 50 pounds?

How long after you had the surgery did you notice the weight loss?

After reading other postings, I came across one that caught my attention. For those of you that need to re-start or need a jumpstart other members are sugesting the 5 day pouch test diet. The diet is for five days and they guarantee you loose between five and ten pounds. Check it out!

google : five day pouch test diet