Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,i also posted this in the men forum,but no responses,

this is my first post. i have a surgery date for the lap band on 01/27/2011, i just went to a post op meeting, and that most of the people there had the Gastric bypass or the Sleeve, i currently weigh 314lbs and 6' 2'' and would love to be down around 200lbs. but with that said the group didn't talk very highly about the lap band, that it is the hardest way to lose weight and easier to gain weight, and that very few will keep it of.. they were telling us future banders. go with the sleeve, now im really confused, thinking i might be making the wrong decision.. did y'all men or women go through this guessing game too???

thanks cliff

I had the same doubt after attending my first seminar, but what helped me make this life changing decision is, the band is reversible and if god forbid any complications arise it can be adjusted. Also, there is no manipulation of your intestines or other digestive organs. It's just a band on your stomach. Now having said all that, it is a tool, you still have to do some work to be successful with weight loss. The band has been successful for me so far, since my surgery on Dec. 14,2010 I have lost 20.9 lbs for a total of 29.8 so far since I started this journey in late October. But trust your decision weigh all the odds and research every possible option and you will make the best decision for your personal situation. Best of Luck!

Good Response by Banding12. The sleeve and bypass are so invasive so personally, I would only look at those options seriously if your health was in jeopardy right now. You don't sound like you are that heavy that a surgeon would recommend the bypass. I'm sure one would still do it if you wanted though! Good luck, think hard about it!

I was offered all three options and was told I would have to choose between sleeve and gastric bypass because of a potential Lupus diagnosis. Fortunately the Lupus diagnosis was not made and was able to choose what I wanted.

I chose LapBand specifically because I do not want to lose quickly. I want to lose slowly and steadily to ensure time to keep my skin in order and to learn how to adapt myself.

For those considering the more extreme procedures, remember, once you get sleeve or gastric bypass you won't have any more options and if you gain back you'll be in a worse position.

Start with LapBand and see how well you do, then if you can't handle the necessary changes you can make a more informed decision.

I never had the back and forth...I did my research and decided a band was best for me. Even when I went to a seminar and 2 of the doctors staff were trying to convince me to do the sleeve, I kept my ground and went to another hospital...they were really pressuring me. Do your reasearch then talk to your surgeon. The choice is yours, but make sure that it is an informed one..

Good luck!

Many sleeve and bypass people are going back in to get the band...because the band does what neither of those two will do...eliminates hunger.

The band works by putting pressure on the vagus nerves, which tell the stomach to stop producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Before a meal we get normal hunger. When we're at our sweet spot (cessation of hunger), the additional pressure of the food on that banded area makes the vagus nerves tell the stomach to stop producing ghrelin...and the hunger is abated for 4-5 hours. The cessation of hunger helps us choose to put down the fork, choose the right food, choose not to eat between meals. Sure it's hard work to make that choice, but the band is not a magic bullet. Bypass and sleeve aren't either.

All you have to do is go to the various boards where the predominant weight loss method is sleeve or bypass to see how many of these people *never* lose all their weight. They only lose what they would have as a result of surgery. In the case of bypass, they expect 2/3 of the excess weight to be lost as a result of surgery. The rest is up to the patient. It's rather horrifying how many bypass patients actually regain all their weight plus more. Ask them why and they say 'hunger'...because bypass does not control the hunger.

With vertical sleeve, they remove the stomach that produces the ghrelin but within a year of surgery, the body learns how to start producing it again...but the experts believe by a year post surgery the person will have lost the vast majority of their excess weight making them healthier than they were prior to the surgery. In both of these surgeries, there is low expectation for the person to ever achieve total weight loss.

I think if you look at the statistics (wishing I had kept the link to the website but I'm still looking for it), you'll find that at the end of 5 years, the prognosis for bypass and sleeve is no better than band. It's just that the initial loss is greater.

My surgeon also tried to talk me into the gastric... until he got to know me now he feels comfortable with the band. I think the concern is if you have alot of weight to lose that with the gastric you will lose more initially and with the band you have to be more compliant with behavior modification. I think the band is smarter in the long run. Bottom line we need to learn to eat healthier and be more active no matter what method is chosen. With gastric after a couple years there is no more "dumping" syndrome thats the time when alot of those patients start regaining and the stomach starts to stretch again. The band will not change shape you just have to be dedicated to keep up with the fills.

Wow, that's scary to know then that doctors will actually perform the bypass and sleeve on so many people who don't "need" it. By need, I mean, those whose immediate health is not in real danger due to their weight. I'm just never ceased to be amazed at the medical profession......

Many sleeve and bypass people are going back in to get the band...because the band does what neither of those two will do...eliminates hunger.

The band works by putting pressure on the vagus nerves, which tell the stomach to stop producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Before a meal we get normal hunger. When we're at our sweet spot (cessation of hunger), the additional pressure of the food on that banded area makes the vagus nerves tell the stomach to stop producing ghrelin...and the hunger is abated for 4-5 hours. The cessation of hunger helps us choose to put down the fork, choose the right food, choose not to eat between meals. Sure it's hard work to make that choice, but the band is not a magic bullet. Bypass and sleeve aren't either.

All you have to do is go to the various boards where the predominant weight loss method is sleeve or bypass to see how many of these people *never* lose all their weight. They only lose what they would have as a result of surgery. In the case of bypass, they expect 2/3 of the excess weight to be lost as a result of surgery. The rest is up to the patient. It's rather horrifying how many bypass patients actually regain all their weight plus more. Ask them why and they say 'hunger'...because bypass does not control the hunger.

With vertical sleeve, they remove the stomach that produces the ghrelin but within a year of surgery, the body learns how to start producing it again...but the experts believe by a year post surgery the person will have lost the vast majority of their excess weight making them healthier than they were prior to the surgery. In both of these surgeries, there is low expectation for the person to ever achieve total weight loss.

I think if you look at the statistics (wishing I had kept the link to the website but I'm still looking for it), you'll find that at the end of 5 years, the prognosis for bypass and sleeve is no better than band. It's just that the initial loss is greater.

My dr didn't try to convince me of getting anything else. I'm happy for that. I wouldn't want to do any other surgery. Lap band is what I'm stuck on.

ElfiePoo: very good points.

I did my research prior to surgery and for five years prior to that and watched as the procedures changed. I kept an eye on people who had the various surgeries and found that gastric bypass, and now sleeve, because of their malabsorptive properties work great initially but result in a lot of left over skin (due to the rapid weight loss) and don't encourage the person to change their diet and eating habits enough because they're able to stretch their stomach back to it's former size and eventually, as mentioned, the negative effects are dampened.

It's a personal choice. I believe if people do the research and if they're able to talk with people who have had the various procedures they can make an informed and educated decision. Doctors don't always know best, as we've surely all experienced at one time or another.

I chose the lapband, because it seemed so much safer and because it is reversible. I love my band. It is quite an adjustment (obviously), but totally worth it. Everytime I get depressed because I'd like to eat more than what I can, I just remember why I got the band in the first place. Remember that it is your choice. I say get the band. Good luck to you.

Hi there,i also posted this in the men forum,but no responses,

this is my first post. i have a surgery date for the lap band on 01/27/2011, i just went to a post op meeting, and that most of the people there had the Gastric bypass or the Sleeve, i currently weigh 314lbs and 6' 2'' and would love to be down around 200lbs. but with that said the group didn't talk very highly about the lap band, that it is the hardest way to lose weight and easier to gain weight, and that very few will keep it of.. they were telling us future banders. go with the sleeve, now im really confused, thinking i might be making the wrong decision.. did y'all men or women go through this guessing game too???

thanks cliff

Cliff, I am a woman and I am not banded yet. But I do have two male friends who have had the band and have had very different results.

I have one friend who didn't want to tell anyone what he was doing and is hiding it from everyone. He in turn doesn't have any support system and should lose about 150 lbs. His lap surgery was about a year and a half ago and he has only lost 60 lbs. He eats everything he wants, and never exercises.

My other friend is about 10 months post op. Started at 350lbs and with in 9 months was down to 220. He runs every other day, watches what he eats but still enjoys a treat now and again. Has a huge support system.

I think like with everything we all have opinions what we think is best. However really the only person who knows what is best for you is you.

Good luck!!!!

hey there,

im just amazed by all the great responses, all of them were great thanks so much. i will probably 100% go with the band over anything else, like for sum of y'all said, it's all the love and support that helps you get through the difficult times...surgery date is still schedule for 1/27/2011. but with all the support i will get through the emotional part of it... well thanks alot for y'all input and info. take care and good luck.

thanks again.

cliff

I don't agree with the statement that having a support system is necessary. If that were the case people would stick to their New Year's resolutions.

I personally have no one who could be in a support system, the only people I know in this country I work with and they are very negative about weight and people who are over weight and have said many times that peole who use surgery are failures and taking the easy way out. Would you want support from them?

I'm doing this for me, not to prove anything to anyone else. If I don't stick to what I need to do and if I overeat or eat food I shouldn't, I'm only harming myself. No support system can be around you 100% of the time. You're only accountable to yourself.