Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 pounds gone and a life recovered!

I am a success story for sure and as some others have said, my only regret is not getting the lapband years ago. I didn't have the usual health problems of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol,sleep apnea, etc. that many obese people suffer from. I was very healthy from that standpoint, but my body was breaking down. My knees swelled and ached all the time and I was told I was headed for total knee replacement surgery at 54. I have severe spinal conditions and need a huge surgery and that kept me in total pain all the time unless I was laying in bed. I was at the point where most days just walking from the bedroom to the kitchen caused me extreme pain and I was spending more and more time in bed.

I got the lapband in November 2008 and within a year I had lost most of my weight with only 3 fills. 9 months after getting the band, I was diagnosed with early cancer and had to have a radical hysterectomy. I was unfilled for that, but did not regain weight and got back to my "sweet spot" with two fills. I continued losing slowly through April 2010 when I reached my current weight. I am about 6 pounds under what I feel is right for me and I do go up and down those 6 pounds. I keep that as my safety net!!

I lost weight slowly and steadily with the lapband with no real plateaus along the way. I averaged about 8 pounds per month after the first 6 weeks and the pre-diet. I did not exercise much at all as it is so difficult with the spinal problems. I did keep up my Physical Therapy exercises at home. I now can walk quite a distance without pain, can stand for longer periods without pain, and need less pain medication. I realize I will need the back surgery one day, but for now I am so much better I am happy. The best part is that my knees never hurt any longer, not ever!! And that was getting so bad that I could not sleep some nights.

I have gone from a size 22/24 to a size 6 jeans (first time in my life under a 14) and a med. shirt. I do have a problem with clothing as I had a breast lift with implants 10 years ago and the Dr. went a bit overboard with the size. My breasts still look good, but are really big for my body and I have to wear mostly stretch knit tops. I would like to get some plastic surgery on my stomach, but it is surprisingly not too bad for that much weight loss and no exercise and with a shaper under clothes I look great. I would much rather get a facelift when I get the money to put a younger face with my sexy body! Perhaps one day there will be money for both!

I did follow band rules for the most part, but did eat ice cream or a couple Cookies now and then along the way. I found Chef Jay's Protein Cookies and brownies and took care of extreme cravings for chocolate with those and got my Protein too! I now eat what I want, but do try to keep it healthy. I can eat anything I want because I do not eat too much. I still have to keep sweets and certain foods that are triggers for me out of the house or I would have problems. When I do gain a couple of pounds, they come off easily. I did find recently when I tried to start taking celebrex again that it greatly increases my appetite. It took me a couple weeks and 5 pounds to figure out why I was so hungry and eating so much. Once I stopped taking it, my appetite went away so I think we do have to be very careful about the medications we are taking as they can sabotage all of our efforts and then we blame ourselves for having no willpower.

I think that with a competent Dr. placing the band, a good support system, and a great desire and motivation to lose, the lapband will work for most people. I know I am elated with my results and after maintaining for 9 months, I am ready to say I was successful! I hope everyone might have success with their lapband as well!

WOW! Thanks for posting this. I am so happy for you! This thing really does work! You have done a great job and your life is better.

Congrats on your success! How inspirational! I can't wait to be a size 6! I can't even imagine it. Thanks for posting :)

Let me offer my congratulations as well. Those numbers are awesome! You've given all of us a goal to shoot for.

Dave

Awesome awesome awesome. Well done, and thank you for sharing!!! laugh.gif

Congratulations to you!! You have done so great! I hope your really enjoy everyday of your life. I agree with you about the medications, some can cause weight gain or slower weight lose people should be aware of that. Great job!!!

Cheri

well done! i'm at the point where i'm down from a size 20 to a size 10 -- still a little ways to go, but it certainly feels good to be this far. nice to hear that others are doing well...

How wonderful! Congratulations on your weight loss! A size 6!

Thank you for your post and Congratulations! I am just 4 weeks out from surgery. Getting my first fill next week, and a lot of the posts I have read are so negative that I am getting scared that I will not succeed at this. I am looking forward to my first fill and yet going with little expectations of any great, significant changes in the way I feel. I realize that the band is a tool and I still need the self-control to get me to my sweet spot. Thanks for the encouraging post. Hope I, too, can be a size 6 some day.