Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting so I will apologize ahead of time. Anyway, I was banded on Jan 5th and I am feeling ok, no major issues just tired of the same old liquids....it is so great to have everyone here to talk with. My weight when I started this process was 249 and the day I went in for my surgery I was at 233. I am having a really hard time drinking the Protein shakes...yuck, yuck! But hopefully, seeing everyone else's stories will keep me motivated! Good luck to everyone! :rolleyes:

Hey there, I was just banded on Jan 3rd in Richmond, Va at MCV with Dr. Kellum.... {Dr. Kellum and his entire staff were phenomenomal!!!}

Everything went great, went home the next day...a little sore, but managable until Friday afternoon (Jan 7)...holy smokes, I thought that I had reached a new level of Constipation (I know I know TMI), but I was doubled over with pain until I couldn't take it anymore, went to the ER....had an exam....(embarrasing) and after it was all said and done GAS!!! I've never beeen in so much agony with gas.....Doc gave me some over the counter product, I sipped on it for about 40 minutes...and I now I am all good.

It has been a week.....today. I have a hard time eating/rather drinking....just don't have an appetite.....I am drinking these horrid Protein shakes, I actually became over the Protein shake during the 2 week pre op liquid diet. I started at 291 and was 278 when I got banded. Now, I'm 273. I feel good.....I actually don't feel as though I have a band at all.... I had a perception that directly after surgery that I was going to have some issues with drinking....I suppose that is going to come after my first band fill...I'm doing the sipping, but have no trouble just drinking....is that normal....oh well...this is my first time...I'm stoked about my journey and look forward to meeting others that are on a similar path!!! :D

Hey January newbies! I was banded on 01/06/11 and am totally new to the whole blogging concept.

Today is the first day that I haven't had to suffer through the constant hunger pangs. I've done pretty good on the 1st week Fluid only part. Was eating Tomato Soup this past week without andy trouble. Even though they said it needed to be liquid - I also had cream of chicken. My husband would just strain the veggies/noodles from chicken noodle and I drink the broth - then at least it had flavor without me having to doctor it.

Today is the first day I started mush/soft foods. Had cream of wheat for BF, tried skim milk but was too full after the cream of wheat to finish it. I've had cabin fever so today I was able to get out. I had mashed pots/gravy for dinner and lunch today.

What are some mushy soft foods you all are starting to eat? Looking for some variety as well as not too high in calories/fat, etc. I didn't have any Protein shakes today - but I am not feeling too much of that starving pain.

Looking forward to continuing this journey with the January Newbies!

What are your chief complaints so far? Also what are you enjoying so far?

Rumor: I haven't had trouble drinking either and feel like i am doing something wrong because i am not only sipping 1 oz per 15 minutes but instead drinking a few ounces at a time when i read on here about people not being able to sip an oz at a time. I am going to chop this up to Water not filling the pouch and just slidding through due to less swelling than some.

I get to start Full liquids tomorrow which includes ONLY the following : yogurt, milk, Protein shakes, pudding, soupy grits, and strained cream Soup (and clear liquids). I have been on Clear Liquids since Sunday (1 day before surgery). My Atkins shake never tasted so good and i am looking forward to some grits tomorrow morning.

My only complaints are the tightness, hunger pains, gas, and the diarrhea (TMI). No one told me about the last one. I guess it is a given; liquid in...liquid out. I can wait to start mushies on day 15. It was worth it though. Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey January newbies! I was banded on 01/06/11 and am totally new to the whole blogging concept.

Today is the first day that I haven't had to suffer through the constant hunger pangs. I've done pretty good on the 1st week Fluid only part. Was eating Tomato Soup this past week without andy trouble. Even though they said it needed to be liquid - I also had cream of chicken. My husband would just strain the veggies/noodles from chicken noodle and I drink the broth - then at least it had flavor without me having to doctor it.

Today is the first day I started mush/soft foods. Had cream of wheat for BF, tried skim milk but was too full after the cream of wheat to finish it. I've had cabin fever so today I was able to get out. I had mashed pots/gravy for dinner and lunch today.

What are some mushy soft foods you all are starting to eat? Looking for some variety as well as not too high in calories/fat, etc. I didn't have any Protein shakes today - but I am not feeling too much of that starving pain.

Looking forward to continuing this journey with the January Newbies!

What are your chief complaints so far? Also what are you enjoying so far?

Hello, I was also banded 1/6/2011 I was told by my dr.s that I need to do full liquids for 14 days then I can start on mushy foods. Also they told me never skip the shakes because you need the Protein. Week 4 they said I can start to eat regular foods start soft and move on from there. Right now I am good doing the shakes,jello,chicken broth ,water and diet snapple once in awhile. I am countaing the days till I can eat :-) but I know my nutronist stressed PROTEIN , I think you should still do your shakes. Your lucky they letting you do mashed pototes already, I am not allowed til next week :-/ well anyway glad we have the same band date now we can chat!!! Best of luck to you!!!

Hi!! This is also my first time writing here. I was banded 1/11/11 and I'm still pretty sore. It's hard to get up and down and get out of bed!! And I was a stomach sleeper and Its very hard to sleep on my back!! Being on the liquid diet it feels like it hasn't hit me yet that I actually went through with it- I don't think it will until I start eating real foods. Today was better than yesterday, I'm pretty gassy an have bad cotton mouth so nothing tastes right but other than that I'm excited for what's going to come!!! Nothing like starting this year off this way!!!

Congrats!!! It will get a little better each day, I am 8 days post op and I am still swollen but the pain is almost nothing just itchy, my strips just fell off today except in my belly button. I am still on liquid diet, I am hungry but counting the days till I can start mushy foods ..

I was just banded Jan.10th.:D Stayed overnight at the hospital and on the way home Tues. It hit me. I really did it. WOW. I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery (protein shakes, creamed Soup etc.) and I was hungry especially after Water aerobics. Will be on liquids for the 2 weeks after surgery too. The good news is I'm not hungry :P. I imagine that might change later but I do have some Fluid in my band already so who knows. I do a Protein Shake in the morning to make sure I get enough Protein and I usually blend in a fruit like a banana so it's pretty thick. I can't just suck down thick stuff like I used to but I see no difference in the thinner liquids like V8 or crystal light. So far I'm sore and have the gas to deal with (feel like a Macy's parade balloon...lol ) Overall I am excited to be starting on my journey and I'm wishing all of us good luck.

I had my surgery done yesterday (1/13/11). I stopped taking my pain med today because I think I am having an allergic reaction to the morphine. My stomach is so swollen that I could pass for being prego. I am starting to feel more gas pain - both ways. Is there any tricks that anyone can share or is this just something I need to let it take its time?

Thanks!

I was banded Jan 7. I am on 'soft solids' so anything that can go through a straw, even though I can't use a straw :). I used a hot Water bottle for the gas pains. I still have a little in my shoulder but it is not unbearable. I did get some gas and bloating stuff at Whole Foods and that seemed to help.

I am eating mashed potatoes with the unflavored Protein added, I made this Egg Bake that was in the packet they gave me, and it is GOOD! And as a plus I have a weeks worth of breakfasts in the freezer. I am also doing refried Beans with mozz and avocado mixed in and I tolerated that really well.

I had to get the natural vanilla and chocolate. I just got some Protein Shots to add to my Water that I drink throughout the day to make sure I am getting enough Protein. Tastes like watered down grape Kool-aid and they are expensive but I will be on solid foods in I think three more weeks, so hopefully I won't have to buy them too long.

I have been adding the chia seeds to the yogurt and that seems to help with the 'regularity' issue.

I am not a back sleeper either, so I have been sleeping in the recliner all week. At least the pain medicine is helping me sleep! Glad to see that everything I am going through seems completely normal.

BAD NEWS: I'm Stinky!!! I'm 9 days post op and I have the stinkiest ketosis breath known to mankind. My urine stinks and I pass gas, which makes me stink. I'm grossing myself out.

GOOD NEWS: I put on my favorite jeans and they are loose!!!

I guess that I will have to put up with the BAD in order to enjoy the GOOD.

I'm sorry, but that is funny! :lol:

I am 15 days post op. I have finally been able to get into those old sweaters that I swore some day I would get back into!! So glad I did not give them away!

BAD NEWS: I'm Stinky!!! I'm 9 days post op and I have the stinkiest ketosis breath known to mankind. My urine stinks and I pass gas, which makes me stink. I'm grossing myself out.

GOOD NEWS: I put on my favorite jeans and they are loose!!!

I guess that I will have to put up with the BAD in order to enjoy the GOOD.

Your lucky they letting you do mashed pototes already, I am not allowed til next week :-/ well anyway glad we have the same band date now we can chat!!! Best of luck to you!!!

I'm surprised ya'll are allowed potatoes at all. I was banded on 1/17/11 and just today started on solid food. I didn't have to do mushies. Doc said as long as I chew, chew, and chew somemore. I have been instructed to eat Protein and vegies/fruit and yogurt/skim milk. She said no carbs are bad..:)