Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does getting a fill hurt?

Okay, I never thought of this before, but now that I can tell where my port is, (it kinda hurts randomly) I am envisioning a needle going in there and wondering a couple things.

1. Does it HURT????

2. How does your doctor know exactly where to place the needle?? Is it like getting blood drawn and he might miss, sticking you over and over til he finds the right spot?

I tend to get faint if I get stuck with needles when it hurts! Yikes. Thanks to anyone that can give me some idea what to expect.

:) Disclaimer: I approve this question and if you don't like it because it's been asked before, don't reply. Thank you.

Ha! I just love you to death Mattie! You and your disclaimer. Love it! I was wondering the same thing. From what I understand it doesn't hurt that bad if your dr or nurse knows what they're doing which I'm positive they do. Hopefully we can hear a response from an experienced bandster that will not shake their finger at us and talk down to us like a child. How lazy and dumb of us to not search for this in this imaginary search box (from my iPhone there isn't an option).

I had my first fill yesterday and it was not bad at all. My surgeon does his fills under flouroscopy so he can see the port and watch the fill process.

He begins by numbing the area with a shot. Then, he inserted the needle for the fill. I just felt a little pressure. He had me drink some of that nasty stuff so that he could see how the liquid was going down. Once he began inserting some saline, he had me drink a few more times.

In my opinion, the worst part was the table moving me from a lying down position to a standing position. I felt as if I was going to fall off!! Oh, I got a nifty picture of my stomach, band, and the restricted area!

Iv had 3 fills...its never "hurt" the first time is was s cinch...didnt feel anything and was over in seconds..the 2nd was crappy...he had to stick me several times and move it around alot in side to get to the center of the port (where they stick the needle in) that felt very uncomfortable..not painful just a wierd feeling I didnt like...and I made it worse by getting really nervous and tensing up...the 3rd fill was simple like #1....not sure why the second one was bad..scared me for a minute but all in all as long as you have a good doctor it should be painless and quick!

hahahahaha!! I was afraid to post the question.....for about a second. LOL

I can't wait to hear the responses. I hope my doctor doesn't hurt me!

hahahahaha!! I was afraid to post the question.....for about a second. LOL

I can't wait to hear the responses. I hope my doctor doesn't hurt me!

Fill.. Piece of cake... lol! Guess I shouldn't say "cake" on this site! Good luck and God Bless!

Mine hurts just a little bit. I have a fair amount of scar tissue in there so that is what hurts. They can feel the port--that is how they know where to put the needle.

Even though it hurts a little bit---it isn't bad at all! It is just a pinchy kind of hurt.

When I was heavier they had to stick me a few times and move the needle around in there and that was no picnic. Further incentive to lose weight - when you have the fill the port sticks out so you can't miss it. I could do it myself if I had to. I wouldn't worry at all. A minute of discomfort for great payoff.

LOL!!! Love the disclaimer!!!:lol: I have not been on here for a while due to computer issues, and when I finally get back on, it seems things have gotten a little "tense" between some posters. Sad! I hope those of you that are newest posters will not let this discourage you. It has generally been my experience the majority on here are ready and willing to help when they can...that said I'll try to answer your questions.

1. My experiences with fills have not been what you would call "painful". The nurse numbs the general area before the fill. The numbing stings, but isn't too bad. My 2nd fill was a bit of an adventure...my port flipped. The surgeon made several attempts, but no go...this was the most "uncomfortable" experience, but this could partly be because that WHOLE visit seemed to be bad. I had surgery to correct the flip, and have since had my 3rd fill. It was not bad at all. I will tell you that you might mention to the nurse that you have a fear of needles and get faint at times...this way they can take precautions if they need to.

2. The first fill I was sent for an ultrasound and marked with a pen where the port was. Some I think use fluoroscopy to identify placement. My last fill the surgeon palpated the area, I did have some seroma(like a liquid bruise) which he aspirated but he was able to get in with no problem.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your journey!

Ive been filled and unfilled and filled again it has never hurt more than just a twinge.I have alot of belly fat so it was hard the first fill.He tried twice missed and then I went to the hospital the next day for xray and he got it first try. Then I got sick and had to have most of it taken out for a couple of weeks and when he did that in the office he got it first try ( I had went down 3 pants sizes by then). Now Im better and filled back up. Word of advice, I was trying to suck my belly in thinking he could reach it better.NO, not the case!! push out on your stomach. It pushes the port closer to him. I was able to feel him hit the port with the needle. I knew when he was in. You feel a little thump.Good luck and Im glad you got your answer here and not through past post that you had to search for.

I've probably had close to a dozen fills (and one unfill, same process, just in reverse) in the 22 months I've been banded. The only one that was really uncomfortable was the first one. And that was likely due to that I was still rather tender over my port area.. and the tenderness due to my being stubborn enough to try to continue to sleep on that side, even while still healing.

Even though it was really uncomfy, it wasn't bad at all. I don't get a numbing shot (I don't see the point.. it's an extra needle and the fill doesn't hurt that much). The doctor or nurse uses ultrasound to locate the port, they do a quick stick, pull back to see how much saline is in the band (this is good practice to check Fluid level each time) and then push it all back in with the additional of what they planned to add. Then the needle removed and bandaid applied.

All this is done while lying down. Then they sit me up and give me Water to drink. If it goes down OK, then I'm free to continue on my merry way. Water has always gone down fine, but if it didn't, they'd probably want to remove some of the saline just installed.

My post fill diet is liquids till that evening, soft or mushie foods (the one time I let myself have mashed potatoes) and back to regular as tolerated the next day. If anything gives me trouble to back down to liquids and advance diet a little more slowly.

I've had the nurse not be able to find the port right off the bat a time or two. It's not a stick over and over, they move the needle just a tad while still in your skin. It doesn't hurt, just feels strange. If they use ultrasound or fluoro, it shouldn't be an issue at all. They don't use either on me now as I've lost so much. a NSV for sure!!

And I totally understand being anxious. I was asking everyone and everybody about skin numbing preparations.. lol. I was plain out scared! It will likely be a lot easier than you can imagine.

Hope this helps a little.

P.S. I LOVE answering questions from newbs, oldsters & inbetweens. I learn from everyone and every question.

Thanks everybody! I will definitely warn the doctors they might have to revive me! I also better be sure to have a full stomach so less chance of seeing stars. :)

Right before surgery, the phlebotemist came over and took my blood .He wasn't very good so it hurt. Then they stuck me with the big fat IV needle, then gave me a shot in the stomach, all within about 2 minutes. Right about then I thought "Oh boy, I'm going down....." but they managed to keep me conscious. How I pray this doesn't happen to me with a fill!!!

LOL! about searching past posts.....

Ive been filled and unfilled and filled again it has never hurt more than just a twinge.I have alot of belly fat so it was hard the first fill.He tried twice missed and then I went to the hospital the next day for xray and he got it first try. Then I got sick and had to have most of it taken out for a couple of weeks and when he did that in the office he got it first try ( I had went down 3 pants sizes by then). Now Im better and filled back up. Word of advice, I was trying to suck my belly in thinking he could reach it better.NO, not the case!! push out on your stomach. It pushes the port closer to him. I was able to feel him hit the port with the needle. I knew when he was in. You feel a little thump.Good luck and Im glad you got your answer here and not through past post that you had to search for.

I too, love your disclaimer :) I had my first fill a couple weeks ago. I was very nervous and shared these feelings with my surgeon who reassured my that I would be ok. I asked him if he was going to numb me and he said that no he wouldn't, but I wouldn't feel any pain. He had me do a 1/2 crunch to raise the port and with one little stick he put 3 ccs in me and then had me drink about 4-6 oz. of Water to make sure it went down ok, and it did. It really did not hurt at all, and I am not even nervous for my 2nd fill which will be Wednesday. Good luck!!!