Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Approval With Low Bmi???

Adrea & Adrienne,

I JUST got approved literally last week so I haven't met my surgeon yet. I think you'll both get approved, if I got approved with Tricare Prime you guys will too! Good luck dolls!

Adrea & Adrienne,

I JUST got approved literally last week so I haven't met my surgeon yet. I think you'll both get approved, if I got approved with Tricare Prime you guys will too! Good luck dolls!

So your referral to see a surgeon has been approved or have you been approved to have the actual surgey?

I just opened a letter of approval from my insurance company!! I hadn't opened my mail in a week and there it was. I kept waiting for the dr.'s office to call and they still haven't. It looks like the approval was made the day after my original appointment! So I guess I will call tomorrow and find out the details...excited and yet nervous!!!!B)

I just opened a letter of approval from my insurance company!! I hadn't opened my mail in a week and there it was. I kept waiting for the dr.'s office to call and they still haven't. It looks like the approval was made the day after my original appointment! So I guess I will call tomorrow and find out the details...excited and yet nervous!!!!B)

Thats awesome,. how exciting! I would have been checking my mail everyday lol! Good luck:)

Adrea, my insurance has agreed to cover the cost of my surgery, that's what I mean by approved. I'm meeting my surgeon for the first time later this week.

Adrea...If I'd known it was coming via mail I would have too LOL...I had it in my head I would get a phone call so I was waiting for that!

Adrea, it sounds like you have everything you need to get approved! I'm 5'5" and 200 lbs, BMI 32. I live on Camp Pendleton in CA, so good to meet another military wifey! My doc told me that sometimes Tricare requires therapy before you get approved so they can make sure you're motivated and stable enough for the lifestyle change. I was in therapy when I was younger so I think that had something to do with me getting approved. To be honest I did wear heavy clothes when they weighed me because most days I'm around 196-197 but after I eat a big meal I'm 200ish, so I wore heavy clothes so the scale would read 200. I think with the info you told me there's no reason you wouldn't get approved!

Hi there. I am also a Military wife, up in Washington. Do you know how your Surgeon got the approval? Tricare just denied mine. I am 5'3" and weigh around 210. I have gone through all of the pre surgery work ups, and have medical issues to boot. Acid Reflux, sleep Apnea, RLS, but they just denied it. I don't know what I should do now. From what you are saying, it should have been approved. HELP!!!!!

Hi there. I am also a Military wife, up in Washington. Do you know how your Surgeon got the approval? Tricare just denied mine. I am 5'3" and weigh around 210. I have gone through all of the pre surgery work ups, and have medical issues to boot. Acid Reflux, sleep Apnea, RLS, but they just denied it. I don't know what I should do now. From what you are saying, it should have been approved. HELP!!!!!

OMG! I'm so sorry! Can't believe you were denied. Well there is an appeal process in which they can reconsider your case, I wouldnt know how to do that, you'd have to talk to your doctor or to tricare. Keep trying! Don't give up!

Hi there, just wondering if there are many people out there with a low bmi (below 40) and no co morbidities that got an approval?? Just needing some positive information here :huh:

so my BMI was only 35 but i've been struggling ever since i was a kid! so my primary doctor wrote a real good letter to my insurance company stating all the diets and all the fitness, gym and alllll other things that i have tried so far. i actually got 2 letters from my primary doctors and send those in ... it TRUELOVE help and i was just approved!

in a way put yourself in the Insurance shoes and try to convince yourself why they should pay for your surgery. you have provide evidence and make them to realize that you NEED to have the surgery it's not a WANT.

my whole packet was about 50 pages of all kinds of receipts, gym memberships , Lindora, Weight Watchers and whole other diets that i've tried so far.

good luck! : )

so my BMI was only 35 but i've been struggling ever since i was a kid! so my primary doctor wrote a real good letter to my insurance company stating all the diets and all the fitness, gym and alllll other things that i have tried so far. i actually got 2 letters from my primary doctors and send those in ... it TRUELOVE help and i was just approved!

in a way put yourself in the Insurance shoes and try to convince yourself why they should pay for your surgery. you have provide evidence and make them to realize that you NEED to have the surgery it's not a WANT.

my whole packet was about 50 pages of all kinds of receipts, gym memberships , Lindora, Weight Watchers and whole other diets that i've tried so far.

good luck! : )

Who is your insurance provider

After the second appeal, Tricare finally approved my Surgery!!! YEAH!! My surgery date is January 3rd. I guess my New Years resolution to lose weight won't be just talk and failed attempts anymore!

I am so Happy for YOU! I go the 6th to talk with the surgeon and have 50 to 60 lbs to lose. But I have high BP, high cholesterol and have just been diagnosed with diabetes. I am VERY hopeful that I can have this surgery. I will look for you on this forum. Best of luck as I am rooting for you!!!!

I had a first appointment with a surgeon set up for next week, but they called me back and said my insurance won't cover it yet because my BMI is 38.1 - I need a comorbid condition before they can see me. They told me to have my PCP get me tested for sleep apnea. Doesn't matter that I have chronic low back pain, knee pain, heart murmur, reflux, and the list goes on. BCBS apparently has a very strict list of what they consider a secondary condition if your BMI is under 40. I'm really frustrated right now.

I had a first appointment with a surgeon set up for next week' date=' but they called me back and said my insurance won't cover it yet because my BMI is 38.1 - I need a comorbid condition before they can see me. They told me to have my PCP get me tested for sleep apnea. Doesn't matter that I have chronic low back pain, knee pain, heart murmur, reflux, and the list goes on. BCBS apparently has a very strict list of what they consider a secondary condition if your BMI is under 40. I'm really frustrated right now.[/quote']

Keep appealing! And, get the sleep apnea workup. For the second appeal, it becomes a legal thing and your case is reviewed by a law firm. If they deem the surgery is a medical necessity, then BCBS will be required to pay for it. Back pain, joint pain, reflux...ALL co-morbidities! Keep fighting. But, if they say you need sleep apnea, get it checked out. Most likely, if you are a snorer, the sleep clinics don't hesitate to diagnose sleep apnea. Good luck!