Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone else just starting-seminar stage?

There is a seminar Jan. 4th that I will be attending with my husband. I am beyond ready to get started but am also patient at the same time. My insurance Anthem Blue Access requires the 6 month supervised diet period. At first I was discouraged by that wondering what if I lose too much weight and now longer qualify...then the yo-yo, and I put it back on. I'm over that now and looking forward to what I will learn with the dietician that I don't presently know. Hopefully this knowledge will help me be successful with my choices after I am banded. I am already starting the process to my new life!

Is there anyone out there in my stage of the process? I would like to have some prebanded friends to go through this with.

Thanks, jj

Yes! This is awesome to find someone else in the same stage. My husband and I are going to the seminar in Lexington, Ky on Jan 4th. Glad to meet you on here! Looking forward to hearing how you are progressing.

Karen

I am in Louisville, KY! I go to a seminar on Jan 22nd. I havent even started the insurance stuff, technically my Anthem plan does not include obesity related surgeries but I know there are ways to get help getting approved. My BMI sure is high enough! I have to be honest, if they make me do a 6 month diet, i will be BEYOND discouraged. My doctor has been trying to convince me to get LapBand for years, and i just realized I needed to get over my fear of surgery and do it. So i dont want to wait for 6 months. Not one bit.

Hello girls. Thanks for the replies! Karen, is your husband looking into the procedure also or is he your support? My hubby is attending for support but also looking at changing his lifestyle also. He needs to drop about 25 lbs that he's gained over the last 15 years. I can't wait for the seminar to know more about my Dr. process and the support team that is available to patients. Let me know how your seminar goes!

I felt the same way about the six month diet at first Morgandonor. I want to get started so badly, but I am afraid if I don't learn how to do things differently, then I will just do the same thing and regain the weight. :( I definitely don't want that. Keep me posted!

jj

Hello,

I go to my information session on 1/13 and I am beyone ready to start!! I've been going back and forth for a couple years but NOW it's time! I need to lose 150lbs. I'm from Boston!! I hope to keep in contact with people that are starting out like me!!

-Kim

Sorry, no my husband is just going for support also. He does have some weight to lose though. We are both middle aged and it just isn't easy. I think he's hoping to gain some knowledge while at the seminar too. I posted a venting session.lol I'm feeling a little down today, I had a doctor's appt and may have to have surgery and this may postpone the lapband. Anyway, I'll stick around the site to keep learning about the band and watch others success that are inspiring me. Gives me hope.

Hello Everyone,I went to my siminar on Dec 2nd and I will be having my first Dr Visit on Jan 10th

I will keep you all posted as to what they are looking for,I heard about the 6 month weight Management program

I have already gotten 3 months complete,they only want you to be aware of your weight and that you will have to cut way back on your intake,but If you do loose a lot of weight they will tell you that you can do it on your own,so from me to you just try like you have been trying but remember you dont want to be set way back so Just make your self aware of the problem that we all have and try to cut back,Instead of a whole meal eat haft of it and eat the other haft later but dont eat past 6:00pm...I have a lot of my stuff complete before they ask for it (the heart doctor)and another few doctors that I know that they will ask you to go see get it done ahead of time,when you go to your siminar ask the nurse what all does it consist you to do and start doing it..and dont forget after the siminar call the next day and schedule your conceltation with the doctor and the neutritionist even if they tell you to wait do it any way,I was told to wait and I was glad that I didn't because I would have never gotten in......please keep posting because we all need the incurragement...thanks camille01

I had my initial Doctor's appointment yesterday and I have the Kaiser "Weight Loss Surgery Overview" next week on the 11th here in California. The Doctor has already put in my referral for surgery in San Francisco but she also had me sign up for a 14 week series with Kaiser. I understand now that it's not required but I will take it anyway because knowledge is power right? I'm just hoping that it moved forward quickly!

I keep an eye on this blog for my 20 yo daughter who is just starting process as well - hopes for surgery in May after 6 mo. supervision/dr. visits, etc. We have Anthem as well. As a mother trying to learn as much as I can; she is less interested in the info. although we are going to a support meeting this week of 1year plus banders and will try next month to go to one for under a year banders to learn as much as we can that way. I called Anthem the other day to ask about "requirements"and they said there wasn't any the service person could find. Going to have surgeon's office check in a couple of weeks (when we get back from vacation) - haven't actually scheduled surgeon consult. yet. When do you expect surgery?

There is a seminar Jan. 4th that I will be attending with my husband. I am beyond ready to get started but am also patient at the same time. My insurance Anthem Blue Access requires the 6 month supervised diet period. At first I was discouraged by that wondering what if I lose too much weight and now longer qualify...then the yo-yo, and I put it back on. I'm over that now and looking forward to what I will learn with the dietician that I don't presently know. Hopefully this knowledge will help me be successful with my choices after I am banded. I am already starting the process to my new life!

Is there anyone out there in my stage of the process? I would like to have some prebanded friends to go through this with.

Thanks, jj

I went to the seminar it was very informative and helpful have sent admin fees in waiting on next step

Thanks, jj

I have been to the seminar in col ohio found it very helpful have paid my admin fee and Im waiting for my appt with the surgeon, any one else have ohio carpenters? ohio mutual

I'm going on the 10th to a seminar. I think with my BMI and other health problems, I will be approved. I'm hoping my insurance BCBS/Blue Options doesn't require a six month wait time---that feels really discouraging.

Good luck!

Scuff

I feel the same way. If I could diet successfully for 6 months, I probably wouldn't be here. And I have a ginormous bmi and also lots of health issues related to it.

HEy Don't get discouraged,the 6 month weight management is to benifite you because I used it as a test because it gave me time to really think acout the surgery,and to make all the other Dr.'s appointments so Once you go to your siminar call and ask the nurse at the surgeons office and have her to e-mail you the form and print off 6 forms and get started,thats what I did and I thought it was a waste of time too but if you know it has to be done why not just do it,you dont have to rush your self in to loosing weight ,they want to know that you will wait and that you are giving it a try,trust me if you can do these test and stick with the program,you deserve the surgery,but make sure you do all the steps because if you miss any of them expecially the group therapy we have to do 2 times,they will start you back from square 1 and dont no body want to do that....just put your foot forward and don't take any steps backward.....goodluck and leep us posted with your progress because I will....I havn't had my surgery either but my 1st Appointment with the surgeon is in 5 days......camille01

Hi. When I say six months is'nt the end of the world I know about which I speak. Three months into my journey and 5 days before surgery I had to postpone because the blood clot that I was being treated for was not disolved. I was crushed! Devistated! It ended being another 4.5 months before my surgery.

Keep in mind even if insurance does not require a 6 month supervised diet your doctor (like mine) may require a % of body weight loss. I had to loose 30-34 pounds before surgery. You can imagine my anger and frustration when in 3 months I had lost 30 pounds and still had to postpone my surgery!

During the prep of the surgery you get obsessed with the surgery itself. Especially when you wait 8.5 months for it! The fact is surgery is really the starting line. Now is the time to start practicing a healthier lifestyle. If you can walk for 10 minutes to start; do that. Trust me you will work your way up for longer workouts.

People who seem to be more succesful after the surgery; tell of the behavioral changes they made presurgery. Half of this battle is mental/emotional; so the more things you can change presurgery (food choices, exercising) the less changes you need to make after.