Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is this normal?

So I'm 4 weeks post op today...and I can pretty much eat anything at any time. I have no liquid in the band, so is that like normal? i still get very full on very little but im hungry again within anywhere from 1-3 hours later. I havent tested fate too much, just can handle white meat, Pasta, and bread-3 things that are known to get stuck. will this always be the case or will it be different after fills? Thanksss.

It will for sure change after fills

I'm surprised that you can do breads and pastas only because I was told to stay off of them for at least 6 months. I am over 2 months banded and I have yet to become stuck. I have had my second fill and it really hasn't effected what I can eat just how much.

Even if you can do breads and Pasta, those are not the foods to give you satiety. If you eat more Protein rich, dense food I think you will better control your hunger. This is what is working for me. String cheese, tuna or chicken salad, slice of good sharp cheddar, cottage cheese or yogurt with Protein Powder mixed in. High Fiber Cereal in the morning with a small serving of fruit keeps me satisfied for 4 hr. Try cutting back the carbs and see if it helps. At the end of the day, depending on how my food log looks, I let myself have one slice low cal bread or something sweet like pudding or lowfat ice cream. I really have lost my cravings for loads of carbs and sweets. But it took about 5 wks of fighting head hunger.

So I'm 4 weeks post op today...and I can pretty much eat anything at any time. I have no liquid in the band, so is that like normal? i still get very full on very little but im hungry again within anywhere from 1-3 hours later. I havent tested fate too much, just can handle white meat, Pasta, and bread-3 things that are known to get stuck. will this always be the case or will it be different after fills? Thanksss.

Very normal. Restriction will help you to go longer without being hungry and may eliminate a few foods from your diet like dry meat (white meat chicken), soft breads, fibrous veggies, but not as a rule. I can eat anything, however, I limit Pasta, bread, rice, potatoes just because I tend to retain Water when eating those things due to the carbs. Perfect restriction is different for every person because it's how you choose to want it to work that determines what is right for you. Do you need it to eliminate some "trigger" foods from your diet? Then you may favor it being a little tight. Do you want to eat a wide variety of foods but just help keep your hunger at bay, maybe you want it a little looser and then you are responsible for what food choices you make. It really depends on what level your happy with. However, I will caution you not to get too tight. Because there are many things that can tighten your band. Stress, inadequate Fluid intake, sickness (maybe not tighten, but the thicker drainage may pose problems), travel, salt (for me anyway), among others I'm sure. If you get too tight you may have to get unfills periodically due to the extra restriction when your band tightens up unexpectedly. Also, in my opinion, the tighter the band, the more prone to "pbing", "sliming" and an increase in the change of slippage due to regurgitation or eating too much, etc. I don't want to alarm you, but just make you aware of some things to keep in mind.

I've had a pretty easy go of it with my band. I wish for same for everybody. The best of luck to you!