Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Evaluation Tomorrow

So, I have my psychological evaluation tomorrow and I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I've only spoken to a psychologist once in my life and I had a pretty bad experience with him. I'm just curious to know what kinds of questions you guys were asked/what kinds of questions I should expect?

So, I have my psychological evaluation tomorrow and I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I've only spoken to a psychologist once in my life and I had a pretty bad experience with him. I'm just curious to know what kinds of questions you guys were asked/what kinds of questions I should expect?

This will be easier - I promise! They are checking to be sure that you understand the changes that will result from the surgery, that you have a support system in place and that you are mentally strong enough for the process and to follow the aftercare.

My psych evaluation was basically to make sure I knew that the band was a tool and not a magic wand. That I would have to do the work, the band only assists.

I took a few tests (fill in a bubble multiple choice type things. These are easy, among other things they ask the same question worded different ways and look to see that you are consistent in your answers), talked to a girl a bit, she must've been a social worker or a psychologist in training. We talked about the kinds of food I liked and disliked. She also asked if I had been abused.. and I told her that depended on your definition of abuse.. some people think spanking children is abusive. Some other stuff like that.

Then I met and talked to the psychologist. He's also banded and talked about his experience and his sisters experience. He let me feel his port.. LOL.

Just be honest. They weren't at all perturbed that I had been treated for depression and that OCD and depression runs in my family. I still got approved for my band. I'd be willing to wager that you'll be approved too. :)

They just asked questions to make sure you can mentally handle this, and that you are ready for the changes coming at you. Make sure you have support and all that. Then I had to do a questionnaire online a few weeks later, had to watch a lecture, to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into.

Mine had had bypass so she talked about the changes she had and stuff.

I think they want to make sure the reason you are having the surgery is good, and you are doing it for you..

Mine went very well also. I had to take a 165 question test- mostly True/False questions like:

I often feel like a failure if I do not do everything I can to please others.

I am always sad.

I am answering questions on this test to make myself look better than it really is.

Etc etc etc....

She (my shrink lol) then told me how obese people often are "people pleasers" and that once we become thin- some (if not most) of the passive attitude goes away, and those people become more assertive- so we talked about my childhood- how my dad was an ass when i was growing up because I was disappointing him by being fat- and she wanted me to realize the possibility of me cutting off ties with him once I became thin- pretty much just bringing up issues that I hadnt thought about.

It was a positive experience- and I'm sure yours will be as well!

My appointment went really well too. I was required (by insurance) to do two different bubble tests - around 550 questions in all. The psychologist basically went over those tests with me made sure I had an understand of the process. He told me I was good at putting my game face on and pretending everything was okay when deep down things were bothering me. That my defense mechanisms have given me a strong spirit. He also warned that my weight loss could change relationships and bring back memories (abuse). Weight is a defense mechanism in abused children and he said if I wasn't fully aware of the situations that it could come back to haunt me. My advice - be honest, be true... facing your issues will help you in the long run. :)

Insurence wont pay any for my Psychologial Evaluation .I have Highmark Blue Cross Blue Sheild.

Do they require it? My insurance (BCBS of TN) won't pay for it until the surgery is approved. So basically I had to pay the $225 out of pocket and they will reimburse me now that the surgery is approved. You may want to check into that...

My Psych eval was easy. We talked for about 30 minutes about the banding process, and what it means. He didn't flinch at any of my answers. It was a breeze.

Don't sweat it. Be honest, and make sure he/she knows you're ready for the next step. Piece of cake.

Edit: I just saw the date of your post. How did the interview go?

Dave

Hey! I just wanted to thank all of you for replying. Your responses made me feel a lot better and a lot more comfortable. As it turns out, I was all freaked out over nothing. All I had to do was fill out a few surveys, which took about 25 minutes, and then I spoke to the psychologist for about 10 minutes. He told me my doctor would have his letter the next morning! :D In two weeks I'm meeting with the nutritionist and once I have the letter from her we can send all of the paperwork to the insurance company. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to approve me and I can get on with this already! Haha.