Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Hi Purpleshell,

Happy be-lated birthday!!! Dr. Basha conducted my surgery also!!! I am excited to meet someone who was banded in Dubai. My friends thought I was crazy to go and the surgery done by myself but it worked out well. I am already back in Iraq and doing well so far.... Dr. Basha showed me where my port was, gave me my fills and took extra precautions of informing me of all of the quirks due to the difference of medical care in a war zone. The only place I have swelling is my port entry but I am going to try an take easy and not walk as much.

Thanks for the tips on the rash, I guess I have been using alot of Vitamin E so I will try and take that out of the equation to see if the rash disappears.

Oh how exciting! I didn't think I'd meet someone online who was also had the same surgeon, especially when living in this part of the world.

They thought you were crazy going to Dubai hey?! I too would have been a bit nervous on my own but Dubai is great. The Dr's there seem to be great (much better there than out of town where I live) and Dr. Basha is very confident and has done many lapbands. We might not get the support that all the others are receiving in the US, like support groups, nutritionist etc. but at least the Dr. is only a phone call away and we have this forum to learn from others. I've learned so much from everyone here- its fantastic!

How is it in Iraq? Who will give you your first fill? Dr. Basha did mine and it was not under x-ray (or whatever they call it) like many others have spoken about on here. He felt my stomach, located the port, have me push my tummy up so my muscles were clenched and injected the 2.5 cc's. It was all over in less than a couple of minutes and painless. He then made me drink 2 glasses of Water and boy was it different. I noticed the restriction immediately. I wasn't allowed to leave until I had finished both glasses of water without any difficulties, otherwise he was going to remove .5cc's. By the second glass of water I was fine again and a week later I've started losing again which I'm happy about.

I'm gathering there won't be any fancy equipment over there when doing your first fill either. How long will you be or have you been in Iraq? Are you back at work full time?

I have my first follow up post surgery (12/30) on Monday. I have only lost 12 lbs since surgery so hoping to get my fill soon. How long did y'all have to wait after surgery to get your fill?

I was banded December 9. My next appointment is February 2. At that appointment, depending on what my surgeon thinks, I might have my first fill.

I have my first follow up post surgery (12/30) on Monday. I have only lost 12 lbs since surgery so hoping to get my fill soon. How long did y'all have to wait after surgery to get your fill?

Mine was 1 calendar month exactly rolleyes.gif I go back for the second fill in another months time.

I lost most of my weight in the first 2 weeks and stayed the same until my fill. I've started to lose again and hope it continues for the whole month this time and not just 2 weeks.

My follow up visit was just to look at the incisions and to make sure they were healing properly.

Newbee Bander here! I was banded December 23rd, 2010. I have so many things going through my mind at this time. Is the weight I have lost average four weeks post op? I went in weighing 217 and the scale now says 195. Are others afraid they are eating too much even though you know you are not? Am I getting enough Water? I started walking on day four and am up to two miles a day. I have great support, but keep thinking am I doing everything I should. I get excited about what the scale says, then I look in the mirror and feel I should see more. I have been feeling good about everything up until this last week.

:huh:

My first visit hopefully fill will be at almost 5 weeks. I was banded on Dec 17th and my first visit is on Jan 19th.

I have lost 13 lbs since being banded:

week 1 was 4lbs

week 2 was 4lbs

week 3 was 1lb

week 4 was 4 lbs

Hi everyone!

Is anyone having trouble knowing when you are full? I get my first fill on the 25th. I am eating smaller portions definitely, but I am having trouble knowing when I am full until its too late and then I am uncomfortable. I get a pain in my shoulder in the back and pain in my stomach area. I am assuming thats the new way to feel when I am full.

Would love to hear all your thoughts!

I think it's like 6 weeks. I'm getting mine on the 20th, i was banded 12/13

Newbee Bander here! I was banded December 23rd, 2010. I have so many things going through my mind at this time. Is the weight I have lost average four weeks post op? I went in weighing 217 and the scale now says 195. Are others afraid they are eating too much even though you know you are not? Am I getting enough Water? I started walking on day four and am up to two miles a day. I have great support, but keep thinking am I doing everything I should. I get excited about what the scale says, then I look in the mirror and feel I should see more. I have been feeling good about everything up until this last week.

:huh:

That's great! I have no idea.. everybody is different. I've lost about 1-2 pounds a week since surgery.

Hi everyone!

Is anyone having trouble knowing when you are full? I get my first fill on the 25th. I am eating smaller portions definitely, but I am having trouble knowing when I am full until its too late and then I am uncomfortable. I get a pain in my shoulder in the back and pain in my stomach area. I am assuming thats the new way to feel when I am full.

Would love to hear all your thoughts!

Just eat your small amount and see how you feel. I don't always get the feeling, but as long as you aren't hungry...

Hello! I am trying to figure out this forum and how it all works so bear with me! I was banded Friday, Dec. 3rd and have about 85 lbs. to lose. Diabetes runs in my family and I felt like a time bomb and have never been able to keep the weight off. It just crept up and up. I am very active and want to be able to exercise without the aches and pains. I am 5' 10" and 55 years old. I would like to stay in touch with those of a similar situation.

I had a great experience so far and had my band done as an out pt. procedure. I was out at SAM's the very next morning and haven't had alot of pain. Today I did laundry and walked at the mall. I plan to return towork for awhile on Monday. I was fortunate to also have had it done laproscopically and had a great surgeon, Dr. David Provost. All I can say is so far so good!

I would call your doctors office, or you should have booklet or pamphlet from them explaining each stage.. I was on full liquids immediately after surgery.. but I know some people have clear for a few days.

Hi ....I was just banded on Friday Jan 15,2011. I 'm still sore. Glad i found this site.

Do you know when i can start my Protein drinks? I'm still taking in just liquids......thanks for any help

I was on Clear Liquids for a week, then full liquids for a week and now I am on my soft foods with the Protein Shakes.< /p>

Had my first follow up today. Doc was impressed and said everything looked good. Then he went to do the fill and nada. The port would not cooperate. Now I have to go back in three weeks to see if it's just swelling or if the stinking thing flipped on me. So, right now I have mixed emotions. I'm happy that I'm doing well but disappointed by the lack of a fil (especially since it is a five hour round trip drive)l. Blah humbug!

Hi ....I was just banded on Friday Jan 15,2011. I 'm still sore. Glad i found this site.

Do you know when i can start my Protein drinks? I'm still taking in just liquids......thanks for any help

I started my Protein Shakes the day after I was banded. Ask your surgeon - each is different.