Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No rhyme or reason

Have been banded since March and last fill was 8 weeks ago. After losing 45 lbs by July, I can not seem to lose any more. Things do not seem to make any sense. For instance, for 8 days I get full with very little food, have stomach gas (burp all the time) and lose weight. Then I go through another few days where I am hungry all the time and can eat forever without getting full - like the band was not even there. Sometimes I think the band is too full and sometimes not filled at all. This seems to be the pattern for months. HELP

Did your surgeon or the nutritionist or dietician give you any guidelines on how much to eat?

At the bariatric practice I use, we're told we should be eating 3oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies per meal. When we finish that, we should be through. Get up and leave the table and find something else to do. IF IF IF we are still hungry after 20 minutes, we can have extra low carb veggies.

There will always be days that you can eat more. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :) I know it's not easy. If it was easy, no one would be obese. :)

I started to have very very slow weight loss (compared to the beginning of my journey anyhow) this past spring. I finally started taking my measurements monthly. While the scale is taking its own sweet time about moving downwards, I am seeing inches come off. This might help you too.

It's been said that "the band is fickle". Sometimes it will feel tighter and other times looser with no apparent rhyme or reason. Sounds like this is what is happening to you. Hang in there.. follow most of the rules most of the time and you should continue to lose.

Have you had a fill done (or had the band looked at) under fluouroscopy? I was havig similar issues 3 months ago. I would eat very little and sometimes vomit, but then there wouold be days where I was constantly starving. It took a fluro to show that my band was actually too tight, and the constant feeling of being starving was because I wasn't able to eat enough. They took more out, and I've lost 22lbs since then.

Laura and Melissa summed it up very well but the most important thing is to be proud of those 45 pounds you have lost!

Are you drinking with your meals? How fast are you eating? Are you eating Proteins first?

Thanks for the replies. I have a fluoroscopy scheduled in 12 days. I am very happy about the 45 lbs. It may be that I have to hang out at this weight for a year to acclimate my body to the new weight before I can effectively lose more.