Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something doesn't jive right with me about specific Pre-Op diet

Yea, I think people that don't do the pre-op diet lose faster right after surgery because their body is just now being introduced to the sever reduction in calories by being on the liquids and mushies but the people that did the pre-op already lost that same weight before and it's not such a shock after surgery because the body is starting to get adjusted to doing liquids anyways.

Yea, I think people that don't do the pre-op diet lose faster right after surgery because their body is just now being introduced to the sever reduction in calories by being on the liquids and mushies but the people that did the pre-op already lost that same weight before and it's not such a shock after surgery because the body is starting to get adjusted to doing liquids anyways.

I have to agree with you. Whenever I see someone on hear complaining that they are 2 weeks out and not losing any weight...they always add that they lost 10 lbs or more on the preop diet. I'm sure the lotal loss is about the same, but it made me feel really great to have the surgery and drop weight immediately.

I am VERY happy that my doc thinks that the liquid preop diet is a waste of time.

Cindy

The reason doctors require a pre op diet is in order to shrink the liver.

During the surgery when they place the band, the surgeon needs to lift up your liver and go in under it to get to your stomach.

Many people that are severly overweight also have enlarged livers. With an enlarged fatty liver you there is a much higher chance of the liver bursting during the surgery.

Surgeons have found that a two week low calorie liquid diet reduces the size of the liver by about a third. This makes the procedure much safer to perform.

Like all things with the band, the pre op diet is really there for your own good. Sure it may be hard, but do you really want to wake up in the recovery room and be told the doctor couldn't place the band because you didn't follow your pre op diet??

I have to agree with you. Whenever I see someone on hear complaining that they are 2 weeks out and not losing any weight...they always add that they lost 10 lbs or more on the preop diet. I'm sure the lotal loss is about the same, but it made me feel really great to have the surgery and drop weight immediately.

I am VERY happy that my doc thinks that the liquid preop diet is a waste of time.

Cindy

When someone on here is complaining that they're two weeks out and not losing, its most likely because they are drinking high calorie liquids, eating high calorie mushy foods, retaining fluids, not moving around or exercising, or any combination of any of those. If calories in exceed calories out, you will gain weight. If calories in equal calories out, you will maintain your weight. If calories in are less than calories out, you will lose weight. As I said, I had a 3 week preop diet (during which I lost 20 pounds), and then proceeded to lose 20 pounds a month for the following three months. The preop diet wasn't fun, but I loved losing the weight preop, and I'm glad that my liver was in great condition for surgery.

The pre-op diet also give you time to adjust mentally to the changes that are coming. Resisting the pre-op diet can be a sign that you are not mentally ready to change your eating habits. I think its needed to reset your thinking about food, I have a total different mindset about how much food is normal than I did pre-band, my concept of what a body requires to sustain itself was very distorted.

Well, my pre-op diet is pretty similar.... except added was also low-sodium broth (which, as i remember from years ago, is one of the only things that actually made me feel "full" when i had my tonsils removed and was on clear liquids....) and I am also in the medical field....

Mine is the same as yours but its only 7 days. I'm guessing they want you to lose as much weight as possible out of the gate, on your pre op diet, and post op diet you will be more inspired? Also to jump start the weight loss. Because once you start eating food you won't lose weight as fast. Also we eat SO much food normally, they want you to kind of forget about it, since we won't be eating much at all after. Are you 100% sure this is for the lapband? All my paperwork had the information for the Bypass too, and those regulations are more severe.

Thanks Everyone! I enjoyed coming home from our vacation and reading what everyone had to say.

I am going to follow the liquid diet prescribed to the best of my ability and not just "slip" because I am giving myself an excuse to.

I forgot to add some information and I would like to answer a few questions.

I'm 33 y/o, with a BMI of 54.

I am getting the Lap-band done.

On the sheet for my diet guidelines it does not specify which diet it is for but I will assume that it's for all bariatric surgeries since it's title is "Bariatric Surgery Preoperative liquid Diet".

Day 1 Preop Diet here I come!:Dancing_wub:

I'm on day 5 of my liquids, and I don't even care anymore. It's still gross, but I'm not hungry at all, and I'm not really thinking too much about it. The first 2 days were tough, but now I'm fine. It's teaching me to pay attention to "am I really hungry, or do I just want food? " 99% of the time the answer is I just want food. I know it's to shrink your liver, but I also think it's good for my mental state. The hardest part for me is not going out to eat with my family and friends, i've kinda been holed up at home this whole week.

The pre-op diet also give you time to adjust mentally to the changes that are coming. Resisting the pre-op diet can be a sign that you are not mentally ready to change your eating habits. I think its needed to reset your thinking about food, I have a total different mindset about how much food is normal than I did pre-band, my concept of what a body requires to sustain itself was very distorted.

I haven't heard anyone say this before but I couldn't agree more. Everyone says - LB is a tool, you must work with it, etc. But allowing yourself to change mentally before you go through the change physically could really give you a one up. I start my preop diet today (12/13) - the day before my birthday. I will be on it during Christmas too. I am mentally prepared to go without because I know the reward that is coming. I kept telling myself that I was going to have this big meal and a birthday desert on 12/12 and then I caught a stomach bug on 12/11. I'm actually glad I did (although I hate feeling like poo). I don't need that big meal or that birthday desert. I'm changing my life. I'm going to enjoy so many more (birthdays) because I'm committing to this. Congratulations on your success! I will be joining your ranks soon :D

Because once you start eating food you won't lose weight as fast.

Actually, that's when my weight loss started.. when I got back on "real" food after being on liquids and softs after surgery. During the recovery I only lost about 2 lbs. Once I was on solid food, I dropped 20lbs in 9 days. Sure some of it was Water weight, but I was still 20lbs lighter. No pre-op diet for me and I am thankful.

Good thing doctors have varying requirements, as we are all different. I don't want to be regulated, uniform or standardized. :)

Actually, that's when my weight loss started.. when I got back on "real" food after being on liquids and softs after surgery. During the recovery I only lost about 2 lbs. Once I was on solid food, I dropped 20lbs in 9 days. Sure some of it was Water weight, but I was still 20lbs lighter. No pre-op diet for me and I am thankful.

Good thing doctors have varying requirements, as we are all different. I don't want to be regulated, uniform or standardized. :)

I didn't start losing until I was back on regular food either. I only lost 6 pounds during the 8 weeks after my surgery.

After all these years of dieting and starving myself to loose weight and all the other shenanigans I've been through - the liquid diet will be easy! Not saying I won't be hungry but I've definitely done more drastic measures unfortunately! I wish everyone the best of luck!! <BR><BR>Edited to add-- any Protein drink/shake suggestions?? I am going to do like some people posted and add crystal light to some of the less flavor-full ones!

I am seeing Dr Kim in Colleyville and received my daily pre-op diet instructions as follows for 21 days.

4 Protein shakes with skim milk or

5 Protein Shakes w/ Water

Water

crystal lite

sf Jello

unsweet tea

black coffee

Diet Green Tea

Koolaid sweetened with an artificial sweetner

Any 0 calorie, sf beverage.

Is this it?? Being in the medical field even I notice something is missing and I'm not going to do so well on this for 21 days.

I feel for you all that are on the liquid diet. My Dr. put me on Atkins for 2 weeks, which I started today. Being BANDED December 30th, Austin TX. I feel like the pre op diet is just the begining of my new life. I don't have to wait until the 30th to start my journey.