Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating small.

Recently I've been downgrading my food utensils. I dunno if it helps you guys, but I found that using smaller utensils and plates and bowls makes everything work a little better. I use a paring knife to cut my Proteins, cocktail forks and baby spoons to hold smaller bites, and I eat off of a saucer that only holds about a single cup of food.

I think the fork and knife things are practical for cutting up and eating smaller pieces, but using a uniform size plate that I measure my food onto seems to be keeping me at Portion Control.< /p>

It's not the most scintillating observation, but it's something that helped me and I thought I'd share.

I agree using smaller eating items helps a lot. I bought glass dishes, bowls and utensils that were small some time ago.

I am so used to eating out of them the other day when I was measuring items to make bread I realized that the bowl I was using I assumed was one cup in size was really not even 1/2 a cup I couldn't believe how much a full cup actually was!

Eating in smaller dishes has really changed how I look at food and how much I eat.

I also generally use smaller forks and I put my dinner entree on my small salad plates. For some reason, when I put the dinner on the smaller plate, psychologically it is more satisfying to me. I'm not sure why - just is. And it also prevents me from putting extras on my plate. When I make a meal, I usually make a Protein and a veggie or sometimes a carb/veggie combo (like a soba noodle edamame carrot salad or something). When I use the smaller plate, I generally just take the protein before taking something else. If its a really small portion of protein (like my crabcakes are only a 1/3 of a cup size), sometimes I do take some of the veggie, but with the smaller plate, I can really only take a small amount (like 1/4 cup). It prevents me from loading my plate which prevents me from overeating. The smaller forks and spoons are definitely helpful. Plus its pointless to use such a huge plate when what I'm eating more than fits on the smaller plates. Just takes up more extra room in the dishwasher. :blushing:

This thread was extremely helpful to me. I went to Crate N Barrel and got the tiny cocktail forks, spoons, knives. I also got several sizes of tiny bowls, plates and even some small individual sized baking wear for little casseroles. I also have a lot of small lidded Pyrex for leftovers and freezer meals. These small dishes and silverware are excellent for Portion Control, mind control and reminding me to eat small bites. Thanks for these ideas! BTW, my bill was only $30 at C n B and I got the cutest little things. When you only eat small amounts of food, it helps to eat it on nice saucers, bowls and such.

Recently I've been downgrading my food utensils. I dunno if it helps you guys, but I found that using smaller utensils and plates and bowls makes everything work a little better. I use a paring knife to cut my Proteins, cocktail forks and baby spoons to hold smaller bites, and I eat off of a saucer that only holds about a single cup of food.

I think the fork and knife things are practical for cutting up and eating smaller pieces, but using a uniform size plate that I measure my food onto seems to be keeping me at Portion Control.< /p>

It's not the most scintillating observation, but it's something that helped me and I thought I'd share.

I was told by my Nut and Psych to eat on smaller plates and use smaller utensils. I bought some dessert plates and toddler plates along with toddler spoons and forks for the house. I need to find some cocktail forks, etc to take with me in public when I eat at work or at a restaurant.

I think the idea is to help one measure and eat smaller portions and to "trick" the brain into seeing a full plate instead of a large plate mostly empty and feeling cheated on portions.

There is so much portion distortion in our society these days. Go back half a century and compare food portions as well as plates. It is shocking how much food Americans push down into their bodies without a second thought whether they have weight issues or not.

I am only 34, but I remember when a medium drink today was a large growing up, a small cup the medium, and a child's cup was a small. I can also remember when McDonalds's came out with the original supersize. I also have lived through seeing eating out as a once in a great while treat to everyone eating out weekly.

We have a whole food culture built around large portions and convenience not wholesomeness and taste. Those of us who do bariatric surgeries, of whatever sort, have to learn how to eat like our ancestors did before the portion distortion age in order to be successful. It is going to be hard to fight culture and it effect on our bodies' chemistry.

My two cents.

portion distortion

I really, REALLY like that expression. I'll be using that one in the future. Thanks!

Dave

I have done this from day one. I bought a little dish and have smaller utensils just for me and it helps tremendously. Something about using a big plate and not having it look full, plays games on your mind that you do not have enough food. It has helped me greatly to have my food on a small dish and I still leave some food sometimes when my band is tight from a stressful day at work.

I really, REALLY like that expression. I'll be using that one in the future. Thanks!

Dave

Man you took the words right out of my mouth......"portion distortion" I really, really like it!

I was told by my Nut and Psych to eat on smaller plates and use smaller utensils. I bought some dessert plates and toddler plates along with toddler spoons and forks for the house. I need to find some cocktail forks, etc to take with me in public when I eat at work or at a restaurant.

I think the idea is to help one measure and eat smaller portions and to "trick" the brain into seeing a full plate instead of a large plate mostly empty and feeling cheated on portions.

There is so much portion distortion in our society these days. Go back half a century and compare food portions as well as plates. It is shocking how much food Americans push down into their bodies without a second thought whether they have weight issues or not.

I am only 34, but I remember when a medium drink today was a large growing up, a small cup the medium, and a child's cup was a small. I can also remember when McDonalds's came out with the original supersize. I also have lived through seeing eating out as a once in a great while treat to everyone eating out weekly.

We have a whole food culture built around large portions and convenience not wholesomeness and taste. Those of us who do bariatric surgeries, of whatever sort, have to learn how to eat like our ancestors did before the portion distortion age in order to be successful. It is going to be hard to fight culture and it effect on our bodies' chemistry.

My two cents.

Oh my gosh Elizabeth, me and my coworkers talk about the drink sizes at fast food places all the time! :o It has gotten insane!!!

And amen to portion distortion... as you probably know many other countries do NOT have this issue (nor the obesity issues either), but I am not going to go there...

In response to the OP, I too have gotten some smaller plates and utensils. I asked for some 4oz ramekin bowls for Christmas to make lil quiches and such. Using the smaller dinnerware was one of the first things my mom suggested for she did it when she had RNY in the early 1980's. She still uses salad plates much of the time for her meals.

I was banded about 8 weeks ago. I have found I need much smaller portions, however, I get hungry about two and a half hours later. I have only had one fill so I am at 5 in a 11cc band. My doctors office says to go hungry, but frankly if I could do that I wouldn't have needed the lapband surgery! Any suggestions out there? Is it o.k. to have 4 or 5 small meals a day? Thanks!

I also generally use smaller forks and I put my dinner entree on my small salad plates. For some reason, when I put the dinner on the smaller plate, psychologically it is more satisfying to me. I'm not sure why - just is. And it also prevents me from putting extras on my plate. When I make a meal, I usually make a Protein and a veggie or sometimes a carb/veggie combo (like a soba noodle edamame carrot salad or something). When I use the smaller plate, I generally just take the Protein before taking something else. If its a really small portion of protein (like my crabcakes are only a 1/3 of a cup size), sometimes I do take some of the veggie, but with the smaller plate, I can really only take a small amount (like 1/4 cup). It prevents me from loading my plate which prevents me from overeating. The smaller forks and spoons are definitely helpful. Plus its pointless to use such a huge plate when what I'm eating more than fits on the smaller plates. Just takes up more extra room in the dishwasher. :blushing:

Hi, I just got banded on 12/20 and I am trying to think ahead to what I will be eating in the "normal" stage. I follow all of your posts and just read this one where you mention crabcakes. I love crabcakes! Would you mind sharing your recipe? I appreciate it if you can.

Thanks,

Viola

I just had my 4 wk post op. I have lost22 lbs and when I told dr I eat 3 small meals and 2 Snacks he said that is fine. I told him when I am hungry I just eat a small Protein heavy snack. I think we all have to figure out what works for us. I meet with my NUT next week.