Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very excited and Very Mad

I just finished reading the BandWagon book and it was great. I have my appointment with my surgeon to discuss the surgery on December 1st. I am going from; I can't wait to be healthy and feel good, to; I can't believe I can't lose 50-60# on my own and then if someone asks us to a steak dinner I can actually eat steak, or a hamburger cook out. I hate when these thoughts creep up on me because I know I will be so glad to have this done but I am also sure that I will be mad sometimes because I did have it done. Does any of this make sense to anyone out there?:(:)

I think it's important to understand that everyone uses the band slightly different. There are some people on this board whose band is so tight they can't eat most solid Proteins. I don't intend to live like that. You will need to determine how much "help" you want from the band and go from there.

YES YES YES I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!! My friend had it done 2 years ago with great success. I finally went to the seminar in June and thought I am not as bad off as these people I can do it on my own, and cancelled the dr appt after. Well then I finally went to dr aptt in Sept, and went thru all the stuff ( sleep apnea test, Ekg, echocardigram, psych visits, and nutritionist). I was just banded on the 17th and Clear Liquids for 1 week is no fun!! I am too hoping I will still to be able to eat certain foods. Usually entertainment is getting together and food. Me and my daughter have movie night with popcorn, dont know if I will be able to do that either. To her thats a big deal she is 7, and its just me and her. At this point I dont know If I would recommend it, but am sure once I can eat normal foods, I will feel better about it. I am going to try to go without fills and see how that works. I just remind myself that it is hard to do on our own, thats why I am where I am at. I am so glad someone else thinks this too. Good luck!

It is just the self doubt creeping in. That happens to most I think. I have not been banded but I do wonder about that too. Mostly though I am learning and reading and talking to people that really helps me understand that you can still have that steak...or burger but just less of it than you would have before....or maybe without the bun. You will learn what things you can eat and how much and you will adjust to that. Like anything else in life there will be a learning curve but once you get past that hump you will most likely be very glad that you did.

Just remember this...It's ok to make a change for yourself that has nothing to do with what anyone else will ever think about it. It's not up to them. This is one thing in your life that truly is all about you...and needs to be. :)

Best wishes to you!

You can still have movie night with popcorn. I can still eat some you will just have to eat one piece at a time

Cheri

I just finished reading the BandWagon book and it was great. I have my appointment with my surgeon to discuss the surgery on December 1st. I am going from; I can't wait to be healthy and feel good, to; I can't believe I can't lose 50-60# on my own and then if someone asks us to a steak dinner I can actually eat steak, or a hamburger cook out. I hate when these thoughts creep up on me because I know I will be so glad to have this done but I am also sure that I will be mad sometimes because I did have it done. Does any of this make sense to anyone out there?:(:)

I feel exactly the same........ just wondering what I am doing to myself, at 58 years of age. I am sooooo tired of been fat but at the same time I know this is going tojbe life changing, also wonder how to handle going out with friends? I have been reading this blog for some time now and get mostly positive feed back, so I think this is going to be worth it in the end.

Good lucK with your op, mine is Febuary 10th

My band surgery is scheduled for 12/8 and I feel much the same way. I am angry at myself for letting myself get to this point and for not being able to get the weight off by myself. I'm hoping to lose 100 lbs so I know I need more help than I can give myself. I am now in the liver shrinking diet part of preparations and each time I drink a shake I feel angry. I was glad to hear that someone else is feeling mad too. Thanks for posting.

Tomorrow it will be one full month since I was banded and the only thing I am mad about is that I did not do it years ago. I am careful what I eat and I eat very small portions, but so far I have enjoyed just about anything I want. Thanksgiving today was much easier than I thought, I had one bite of each of the sides but only after I ate a good 3 ozs of delicious turkey. The only thing I did not attempt was the bread, rolls and butter. I even had a very little piece of cheesecake, but waited about an hour after I ate dinner so as not to stuff myself. I did not feel deprived at all and was the only one that did not have indigestion or feel miserable hours later!!!!!. I have also found that you must chew, chew, chew and then most foods are tolerable. I am not losing as quickly as I expected, which is a little disappointing, but I love that I do not have to stuff myself to feel satisfied and can go several hours before getting hungry. I was also concerned about social situations and eating at work, but in the past month, and several social engagements, not one person has seemed to noticed that I am not eating much. It is amazing how much more social you can be when you are not eating the entire time! LOL.

Just keep your focus on all the positive benefits that you will experience rather than what you may be missing!

When I was a little girl, the doctor told my grandfather that he would have to give up salt. My grandfather got sad/mad, threw a fit and said he'd rather be dead than give up his salt. He was dead within six months; he was 51 years old. My grandmother on the other hand, had to have her gallbladder removed and was told by her doctor that she'd have to give up fried food (my grandmother's specialty was fried chicken every Sunday for dinner). The rest of her life she'd say, "I can't eat that" when presented with anything greasy. She lived to be 91. When I was getting ready to have the band, I decided that I was going to choose to be like my grandmother. No drama. Just, "I can't eat that."

I've argued this point a hundred times over in my head, but reality slapped me silly. I put away 3 boxes of 2XL clothes 2 years ago, the intent being to lose enough weight to fit into them and " do this myself."... I mean, after all, I did this to myself, I should be able to undo it, right?...WRONG!!!

2 years later I'm up to 4XL and the clothes are still in the box.... "here's your sign...."

I personally know 4 people who have already been banded; friend and relatives, and not one regrets it at all... and they're all lookin' pretty damn good...

I'm ready.

I can pretty much eat anything... I just have to be VERY consious of what I'm eating and taking small bites and chewing alot more if it is something like steak. My hardest food is bread, but I still eat popcorn! Good luck to you!