Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Humbug- Ungrateful giftgetters worst gifts ever

Poodles

While reading another thread about a mother in law that was ungrateful for getting a NICE gift, I thought about one year that my mother in law gave me and my husband a USED ice cream maker as our gift (torn box and all). Now that was the gift for the both of us. That same night... in the same room...my husbands dear brother received season tickets to the Stars games (hockey) for his family of 4. Kind of unfair, you think????

So anyone else out there terribly ungrateful for a bad gift? If so, please tell what it was, who it was from, and why it was so bad.

This ought to be fun...

Oh Poodles, that IS horrible, I'm surprised your DH didn't say anything.

I've been pretty lucky, no complaints.

Has she given you nice presents before? Maybe she was broke from buying the season tickets.I would have been embarassed to give a used gift like that.

A 3 pack of "no show" socks, from my step mother. My brother got a computer!!!! No need to say anything else.

My mom tries really hard but she likes to stockpiles things and have them available for gifts. A few years ago when I came home from Brazil, I gave her a choice of my purchases that she would like. Last year I got them back as my birthday present. (She forgot she got them from me).

At least I usually buy things I like so I was happy to have them back.

I do not have that problem..MIL never gets me anything BUT she will ask my Husband Constantly what he is getting her.. I just give her the look and she stops at least while I am in the house..

I just have to brag and make everyone mad at me. I have the BEST mother-in-law EVER!!!!!

I suppose it sort of makes up for being raised by wolves.

I love my mother-in-law too, so this is more funny than irritating.... I am the first left-handed person she has ever met. She finds it fascinating, and used to look at me as if I was some sort of rare speciman when we first met. So, every Christmas I can look forward to a cheesy item with a left handed saying on it. This year it was a t-shirt (2 sizes too small) that said "left handers are always right" or something lame like that. God love her, but I HATE corny novelty stuff... :eek:

Ahahha hhahah hahah I think I could own this thread. Here is what I have gotten for holiday gifts each year since I've known them.

Year 1: Nothing. Which is OK, I'm not officially part of their family yet.

Year 2: Married a month at this point. DH gets $5000, I get nothing.

Year 2: DH gets several hand-knitted Norweigan wool sweaters and a framed picture of his x-GF, along with a note of how MIL ran into her and how good she looks now. I get nothing.

Year 4: DH gets $5000. I get a resin gnome magnet of $ store quality. YOu know, one eye here, other eye back there...

Year 5: They visit this year. DH is taken shopping to pick anything he wants, and gets several great clothes from a shopping trip they took in Paris. I get another gnome magnet and a ceramic tealight holder church (religion is not my cup of tea, nor is it DH's, and for that matter it's not theirs either... and they know all of this).

Year 6: DH gets $5000 and I get a gnome magnet and this awful silver & leather earrings/necklace that I would maybe wear if it was 1980 and I was too young to know any better.

Year 7: DH gets $5000 and a great hand-made Orrefors glass art vase. I get a gnome and a bag of tealight candles, presumably for the church, which was offically resigned to the garbage can about 364 days ago.

8th year (last year): DH gets $5000, a travel voucher from a travel agency where his parents live good for airfare and 7 days/7 nights in Greece, and several big bags of his favorite candies from his home country. I get... you guessed it... a gnome magnet.

After last year I made the suggestion that we not exchange gifts. I'd rather someone not waste their money on shipping something to me out of spite. I'm like - you don't bother, so just don't bother, you know? Of course they don't like that idea (we have always shipped them great gifts).

Tried to edit/add this but it's throwing an emoticon after every letter when I enter edit mode.

Anyway, I should explain because I don't to sound materialistic. My inlaws are crazy rich. FIL owns a company line that makes medical & industrial grade lasers. They retired at age 40. They own 6 houses, 2 apartment buildings, a beach condo in Mallorca, etc. They helped my SIL and her DH buy their first house, and wanted to give DH the same amount, so they wired him $20k with a note that said, "Find something to do with this." (hehe, they paid off my Volvo, won't that burn their @sses when they find out).

The point being -- it isn't that they don't have the means. That would be fine, and if they couldn't send us something, who cares? But they do have the means, and intentionally don't make the effort... and it's that last part that really chaps my hide.

Year 2: DH gets several hand-knitted Norweigan wool sweaters and a framed picture of his x-GF, along with a note of how MIL ran into her and how good she looks now. I get nothing.

OMG, I think I just spit gatorade out of my nose. That's the funniest/saddest thing I've ever heard. Please, please post a picture of one of those gnomes. Maybe it could be the LBT mascot! :eek:

I agree-we need to see these hideous gnomes-lol-hell Im just cheesy and tacky enough I might like em for decorative yard art-that in itself is a funny story but will tell another time.

My hubby is used to his older brother being the star. We have just come to understand that we love each other and think the other is the best and everyone else can bite our hinneys. (Present company excluded of course.) He did not say anything, but it did go in the dumpster as soon as we made it home. I have thought about buying them one for a Christmas present, but have not mustered up the guts yet. We have been married for 11 years. Maybe at year 13 I will do it.

Ok, to add another one to my list. One year my MIL gave me a 2 gallon fish tank with two goldfish in it. Now be aware the whole thing was set up and we live an hour away from her. I wanted to pitch that stupid thing out the window. Poor things died a few days after we got them home, think from shock. Wonder if those were a regift or if she really thought we would like it?

Wheetsin: Think I would take half of the $5000.00, since you are married. Take the old GF pic and decopage (sp?) it onto a dart board and give it back to them. Just be glad they are so far away. Have you thought of starting a cheesie collection for them. How about shipping them a unicorn or two?