Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical ID Bracelets

I was banded on 10/25. My doctor highly recommended ordering a medical Bracelet. Just wondering if most people were getting these?

I was banded on 10/25. My doctor highly recommended ordering a medical Bracelet. Just wondering if most people were getting these?

I did. I bought a necklace from sticky j jewelry online. They use medical grade stainless steel. I like mine. One funny thing...the chain it was on seemed too short and I mentioned it to a friend of mine who had had gastric bypass surgery and lost over 100 pounds. She told me to keep that chain because it would get longer as I lost weight. Sure enough, it is a looong chain now!

sticky j also has a variety of bracelets including some beaded ones that look pretty.

My doctor does not recommend a medical ID, but I felt better having one. I live in a rural area and he is the only doctor who does lap band. I have my name, his name and phone number, and LAP BAND on it.

hiddn

I read a post on this board (i think) but yes I did order one and I wear it daily. I also make different bracelets to go with mine. I think I need to color coodinate at times lol and it's really super easy to make. How to Make a Beaded Medic Alert | eHow.com

also wanted to say as you loose weight you can adjust the bracelets and make the smaller or better yet just give them to someone that has had surgery and is wearing a band.

Just be aware that if your Medic- Alert Bracelet looks like normal jewellery people are likely to miss it. Most people are aware of what traditional medic-alert jewellery looks like but they are not going to go looking at all the beads on a Pandora type or other fashion beaded bracelet to see if one may have a warning on it!

It really isn't necessary to wear one of these and I think you will find most bandsters don't. I carry my lap band ID card in my purse but that is it.

If you are in the kind of state that you cannot tell someone you are banded then they are going to be doing all sorts of tests/x - rays anyway which should show the band. If it is a life or death situation then the band is the least of your worries. They will concentrate on saving your life first .

Just curious why you all feel the need for a Medic-alert Bracelet for the band?

In an emergency, you want the EMTs/emergency room staff to know: No nasogastric tube, Fluid capacity of 60ccs or less, limited/no anti-inflammatory medication and a potential need for anti-biotics before a procedure.

That's what it says on the back of the laminated card my surgeon told me to carry in my wallet.

In an emergency, you want the EMTs/emergency room staff to know: No nasogastric tube, Fluid capacity of 60ccs or less, limited/no anti-inflammatory medication and a potential need for anti-biotics before a procedure.

Interesting. Wonder why a need for antibiotics just because you have a band and I'm on regular anti-inflammatory medication so don't understand that one either. The Fluid, at least for me, is no biggie. I can still chug a liter of Water. :)

Wonder if this is another one of those things that vary according to band mfg.

Not sure I agree with wearing a med alert Bracelet. Seems like overkill. Would you wear one for breast implants or hardware in your knee? I don't think so.

I second elcee.

Interesting. Wonder why a need for antibiotics just because you have a band and I'm on regular anti-inflammatory medication so don't understand that one either. The Fluid, at least for me, is no biggie. I can still chug a liter of Water. :)

Wonder if this is another one of those things that vary according to band mfg.

Maybe it varies from doctor to doctor. Mine says anti-inflammatories can lead to slipages.

Not sure I agree with wearing a med alert Bracelet. Seems like overkill. Would you wear one for breast implants or hardware in your knee? I don't think so.

I second elcee.

I agree as well. It is overkill. Unless you have a medical condition that could be life threatening why bother? I don't have one for the cadaver tendon in my knee that replaced my ACL. If you are in such a medical emergency that you can't speak, there really isn't anything that the paramedics will do to you that is going to kill you because of your band. An NG tube isn't going to choke you, nor will too much fluids.

I think the reason you don't need one for breast implants is because if you are passed out flat on your back your boobs will still be perky and that is an obvious sign!

I don't have a card to carry or anything else. I just don't feel the need. I'm more concerned about being O- which is a hard blood type to find should I ever need it in an emergency than anything else.

It's a good excuse to get a new bracelett lol. I wouldn't get one though. I don't think I really need one, but to each their own.

I agree as well. It is overkill. Unless you have a medical condition that could be life threatening why bother? I don't have one for the cadaver tendon in my knee that replaced my ACL. If you are in such a medical emergency that you can't speak, there really isn't anything that the paramedics will do to you that is going to kill you because of your band. An NG tube isn't going to choke you, nor will too much fluids.

I think the reason you don't need one for breast implants is because if you are passed out flat on your back your boobs will still be perky and that is an obvious sign!

I don't have a card to carry or anything else. I just don't feel the need. I'm more concerned about being O- which is a hard blood type to find should I ever need it in an emergency than anything else.

I don't see a problem with wearing a medical ID for lap band. It may not be as urgently important as "allergic to penicillin", "Diabetic", or "Alzheimers", but it brings a certain piece of mind for me.

~hiddn

I don't see a problem with wearing a medical ID for LAP-BAND®. It may not be as urgently important as "allergic to penicillin", "Diabetic", or "Alzheimers", but it brings a certain piece of mind for me.

~hiddn

If it makes you feel better and if your surgeon recommends it, then I'd say go for it.

Everyone's different and has different worries and different circumstances. :)