Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice: To fill or not to fill?

Hello,

I need some advice from those who have reached their sweet spot. I have had one fill and do notice some change. I can't eat thick bread, lunch meat or too fast or I will PB. But if I chew, chew, and chew I can pretty much eat everything else. I also don't get sick from eating too much. Should I also be getting that awful pain in the chest or Pb if I eat too much? I am scheduled for a fill in a few weeks, but not sure if I need one. I think if I was only able to eat a 3/4 cup or 1 cup, I would be good. I guess my question is am I considered to be at my sweet spot because I can't eat certain foods or swallow my fast like before or should I keep trying until I am also limited to the amount of food I can eat. I am afraid that if I get a fill it might be too tight. Ohhh - what should I do?

The sweet spot doesn't mean u can't eat certain foods..I wasn't able to tolerate Pasta with no fill also bread. There's just certain foods that expand or don't break down while in the band..doesn't make it the sweet spot. Just means don't eat it bc its a "problem" food. Are u continuing to lose weight..like 1-2 lbs a week? If so, then u may not need the fill right away..but if its slower and stalling a lil then I would get the fill. U should be able to eat food that's the size of ur whole palm/hand..minus the fingers. My doc made that visual connection for me and it helps..but yea if ur not losing wat u should then get the fill. Good luck

Hello,

am I considered to be at my sweet spot because I can't eat certain foods or swallow my fast like before or should I keep trying until I am also limited to the amount of food I can eat. I am afraid that if I get a fill it might be too tight. Ohhh - what should I do?

Kaylee,

What you're looking for is that sense of 'enough' when you finish your meal. My suggestion is to measure out your meals, take small bites, chew well, don't drink with your meal and finish your meal within about 20 minutes. Then pay attention to how you feel.

It takes me about 20 minutes to eat my meal and I have to pay careful attention or I will get stuck on something. At the end of that time, I push my plate away and I am content because there's something that tells me that if I take one more bite, it will be too much.

Some people want it set to a 'volume' (e.g. 1 cup). I'm more interested in nutritional quality rather than quantity and so mine is set so that I can eat about 3-5 oz of Protein (will vary depending on the Protein and band that day) and 1 cup low carb vegies. I used to eat 2-3 oz of protein, 3/4 cup low carb vegies and 1/4 cup starch but that was way too many carbs for me.

I chose to do it this way because when I tried to get tight enough that I could only eat 1 cup of food, then I couldn't eat that food. Proteins and veggies would get stuck at every meal and I spent a good portion of my meal going back and forth to the bathroom trying to expel that stuck food. Not good for the band.

I agree with both people here, but I myself find with no fills ever and being at goal of losing 90 pds, I still need some will power, the band does not work for me alone. I would never want to be without the band, but I fight every now and again with head hunger and that is my demon. We are all in this together and we all have issues otherwise we would never gone through the surgery of getting the band. There is so much helpful advice on here, you just need to see what fits your body.

, I still need some will power, the band does not work for me alone.

Absolutely true of all of us. The band is just a tool, but it's still up to us as to whether or not we use it. I love carbs...my body does not...so it's still up to me to *choose* not to give in. I make the food choices but the band helps by giving me that sense of 'enough'.

Anytime you eat too much and don't feel restriction its time for a fill and rethoughts on what you are doing remember measure ,measure and measure your food .

I would talk to your doctor about wether you need a fill. You may want to keep track of how much you eat and how long you stay full. This will help you and the doctor determine if you need a fill. Believe me, you don't want to be to tight, its miserable.

Thanks for responding everyone. I think maybe I don't need a fill, but maybe I need to work more on my mental changes. I guess I am so familiar with having the feeling of being over stuffed that I need to learn that it's normal to not fill so full. I do notice I have been eating less and my clothes are loose. I also need to work staying away from the sweets. At least I am on the right track.

Kaylee, I was wondering if I needed a fill too. I'm eating more than 3/4 - a cup. Sometimes, I just stop eating because I know it'll be too much if I eat continue. Other times, I just eat more than a cup. Somehow, I'm still loosing about 3lbs per week. I asked my doc for a fill anyway because I'm afraid to get back into the habit of eating large portions. He scheduled me for one on Nov. 9th. Then, I got stuck 2x's this week from chicken!! So, I was gonna cancel that fill!! I never had problems eating chicken b4 unless it was too dry... So now, I'm kinda in limbo...to fill, or not to fill?? If I got stuck twice in one wk., and I'm losing wt...should I get a fill to control my portions? Yes I did eat it too fast, although I thought I chewed it well....

I guess I'll ponder about it and decide b4 Nov. 9th....

I feel the same way, have only had one fill. my surgery was 9/1/2010. How much weight have you lost post surgery? I am down 12lbs, feel like I need another adjustment.

All what has been already said is good.. measure out your portion (my doc suggests 3oz Protein and 1/2 cup low carb veggies. If you're somewhere you can't weigh/measure, visualize a deck of cards and a tennis ball). When that is eaten, move away from the table and wait a bit. Still hungry after 20 minutes? Have more veggies (via my doc.).

IF the small portion above isn't keeping you full for 3 to 4 hours or even longer, it might be time for a fill.

I'd do what VLP suggested, keep a food diary for a few days, but I'd also take the food diary in so that the nurse or doctor can see what you're eating. I always do that and it's very helpful. They're able to see that yes I'm trying and counsel me on where I'm making less than optimal choices. LOL

I am due for a fill next Thurs. and although I also have issues w/ past and bread of almost any kind.. I am up a pound this week from last.. so clearly my volume of food is still an issue