Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is the sum of all the "little" things we do that makes us successfull with our weight loss. Unfortunately, it's also the sum of all the "little" things that can defeat us. There is one of 2 things going on...you are either not taking in enough calories to lose, or you are taking in a lot more calories than you realize. You didn't mention if you journal, but journaling for one week and writing down EVERYTHING will help you get a handle on what's going on. I HATE to journal, but know that I need to take my own advice right now as well. I keep having "good days" and "bad days" and the net effect is maintenance. I work out a ton also. I run 2.5 - 4 miles 5-6x per week and lift weights 2-3 times a week. Some days I only eat 800-900 calories, other days I graze more than I realize or eat a late night snack that goes a little too far. I need to have a solid week of no cheating and get back in the losing category!

What you're doing wrong is making up your own rules and assuming they will work better than what your doctor told you to do. In short, you're sabotaging your success.

I'd recommend tracking your eating and exercise on Fitday.com. It will let you enter the nutritional information for your Lean Cuisines. After a few days, look at the pattern. You will likely see that you're getting inadequate Protein, and a whole lot of ...well, nothing.

Throw in a day off every week---and you're setting yourself up for failure.

I am not in the "you're eating too little" camp. I think rather than focusing on the often-given "eat more" advice, it would be a FAR better idea to reconsider the nutrition advice given by the surgeon/dietitian whose expertise you (or your insurance) paid good money.

You may or may not need more calories. There's no way to really know, because you're using free days, etc. Track what you're doing so you have a realistic view of what you are giving your body. You don't have to track forever--just long enough to get an honest view.

Sluggish weight loss aside, you are not giving your body what it needs to be healthy.

I agree with Betsy! Get off the frozen meals, and quit "cheating" every weekend!

Sorry - I'm in the camp of, if she truly is working out that much, she's not eating enough. Our bodies WILL go into starvation mode and shut down.

I didn't read everyone's advice (am short on time this morning), but I definately don't think you are getting enough Protein....my mom went through the same type of thing you are going thru - she was not eating a lot and she was working out tons, but not seeing results....but then when she upped her Protein (not focusing on calories as much as making sure she got more protein) she started to lose again.

I don't think a cheat day is a big deal, but I guess that depends on how much you "cheat". I guess I am more lax with myself and don't have a specific day set to cheat, but when the opportunity arises to go to my favorite mexican restaraunt or to get frozen yogurt with the family I let myself. Everyone is different, but for me I cannot hyperfocus on calories and every bite I eat - it causes me more issues....so I keep a general amount I stick to, trying to keep all my choices healthy and as unprocessed as possible, and it has worked for me.

Talk to your doctor....my weight loss was slow starting - the first 6 weeks I didn't worry about weight loss and instead let my body heal from surgery...so I really didn't start seeing ANY weight loss until after my first fill at 6 weeks, when I started being more agressive. It was slow going until I found my sweet spot (about 5 months after surgery) and then it has been trucking along ever since...hang in there, you will get there! I think we tend to want results quickly and forget this is a journey and will take time!

Kim

We cheer your physical activities but there are no bargins or exchanges to banding...........get on board and stay on board with all steps and everything will keep moving together. Your friend the queen of EXCHANGE

lol @ honk..three ice creams...that's funny!

well i think it's kinda funny that you don't understand where you are going wrong. I'm guessing by reading the comments on here that alcohol has alot of calories..i don't drink so i wouldn't know. I know it's hard not to cheat [although i've followed the doc's orders since i've been banded]. I would kill for a cheese burger and fries but i know that is why i'm at this weight in the first place. Like someone said..you are looking at this as a 'diet' when it should be looked at a life style change.

i do have to commend you for admitting it..i'm sure you knew you'd get alot of feedback. Just remember WHY you got banded in the first place!

good luck to you though!

Sorry - I'm in the camp of, if she truly is working out that much, she's not eating enough. Our bodies WILL go into starvation mode and shut down.
Without even getting into the starvation mode debate, there's really no way to ascertain whether Amanda needs more or fewer calories based on the information given.

Journalling both food and exercise on a site such as fitday.com will give a far better idea of energy input/output. The "day off" this week, as well as very loose adherence to an eating program ...well, maybe Amanda needs more calories, or maybe she's grossly underestimating her caloric intake.

Amanda, in order to make wise decisions about the course of action to take, you need to have good baseline data. All the advice from others in the world doesn't amount to anything if it's not the right advice for you. To figure out what's right for you, you have to assess your situation clearly and honestly, then systematically make changes to find what works (and what does not).

So, start by recording what you're currently eating. Assess what it's giving your body. THEN make changes. Maybe, for a two weeks, you would want to try adding 100 calories/day. Assess how that change affects your body. If it works, keep it up (or even see if another 100 calories keeps you going at the same, or better, rate). If not, try something else (bumping up or changing exercise, eating a few fewer calories---depending on what you determine your baseline to be---bumping up Protein, paring down on carbs, whatever.)

Getting a baseline idea of what isn't working can help get you on track to a routine that will work.

And like Denise noted, it may just be that you've hit a rate of loss that will be typical for you. The results really, really do add up over time.

op never came back

guess she didn't like the advice ;0)

Processed food can say "Lean Cusine" or "healthy Choice" but you have to read the labels. "Healthy Choice" BBQ chicken and rice has 16g of Protein but it also has 70g of carbs! 5g of Fiber, 600mg of sodium and is 370 cal. LOTS of carbs. Lean and healthy does not mean so.

Hang in there:thumbup:

Processed food can say "Lean Cusine" or "healthy Choice" but you have to read the labels. "Healthy Choice" BBQ chicken and rice has 16g of Protein but it also has 70g of carbs! 5g of fiber, 600mg of sodium and is 370 cal. LOTS of carbs. Lean and healthy does not mean so.

Hang in there:thumbup:

I'm not a carb counter but I have been told by nutritionists in the past to try and keep my carbs under 250g a day.

70g does not seem so bad.

How many carbs have you been told to keep it to?

I do watch sodium and 600mg is a little high but not a showstopper either.

I'm not a carb counter but I have been told by nutritionists in the past to try and keep my carbs under 250g a day.

70g does not seem so bad.

How many carbs have you been told to keep it to?

250? Wow, I was told to keep them under 80 per day!

Amanda- Hello first of all! Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out here for ya. I'm certainly no expert by any means on this "process" but I think you aren't getting in enough calories for the exercise you are doing (which is great by the way! :thumbup:).

My scale was doing some serious acrobatics about 3 weeks ago & I was getting pretty discouraged myself. I walk about 6 miles a day (1 1/2 hrs) and ride my bike for 60 minutes several times a week. My surgeon suggested I up my calories from 800 to 1200-1500 and it has made a difference for sure. His theory was I needed more calories to fuel my metabolism? I completely quit counting everything & just tried to focus on eating my 3 small meals & ONE somewhat healthy snack and I've lost 6 lbs since last Monday. :w00t:

My meals consist of:

Bfast: yogurt w/kashi Cereal or Protein bar or oatmeal

Lunch: most always 1/2 cup chicken salad & 4 wheat crackers

Dinner: 4 oz unbreaded fish or chicken, 1/2 cup veggies, 1/4 cup potatoes, mac n cheese or rice

Snack: yogurt OR 1/2 Protein Bar OR handful of grapes OR banana & when I break ONE reese cup (my guilty pleasure)

I don't have a special treat day reserved but if I do bad one day, I just try to do better the next :wink2: I see it as I'm only 12 weeks into this life commitment so I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet and condemn myself.

I believe I am up to 5.75 cc's on my fills and have been debating on getting another Monday but I'm pretty sure I will ask for at least a small one because I still seem to get hungry between lunch & dinner. I think I'm pretty close to full restriction, though I'm still unclear on what that actually is?

Feel free to PM me if you want or just want a sounding board. Hang in there girl, we CAN & WILL do this! :thumbup:

Well even if the original person did not read all this great info, I certainly did. I am one month in and feel like I am not losing fast enough. But I realize now that I am really really not eating enough protien. I work odd hours so I usually eat more carbs and I gotta prepare better now. I lost 15 lbs between the 1 week pre-op and the first 2 weeks post op. I have maintained at 15 lbs down for the past weeks now... So I gotta get serious. Its difficult cause I don't have any restriction added yet. My first fill is on the 19th. Im sure it will be a little easier once I get the fill but I really gotta up the protien and add more Water. Im not too bad with the Water but def gotta limit the carbs again. I guess for Breakfast I will have some tuna :thumbup: (egg whites just dont sound good today. lol did that for a few days... :thumbup: gets odd even with adding stuff to it).

Thanks everyone.

From what I read your body burns Alcohol first then carbs then fat for energy ...maybe the drinking did it.

600 doesn't raise my eyebrows even a little, and I live with a man who has congestive heart failure and is on a strict sodium restriction.

Most Americans take in 5-6 grams of sodium a day--most of it hidden in prepared foods. That's 5000-6000 mg--most of it hidden in prepared foods. The Daily Value recommended for most people is no more than 2400 mg.

The standard sodium restriction for those who require it for medical purposes is 2000 mg. Most bodies need about 1500 mg/day. If drinking lots of Fluid and exercising, more may be needed.

So 600 at a pop? Definitely not a showstopper. It's pretty hard, with limited stomach capacity, to trip the wire of sodium overload. The band does a pretty good job of putting the brakes on, even for that.

My concern about prepared foods is that they often aren't nutritionally dense. A Lean Cuisine just doesn't pack the same nutrient punch that a similar volume of good-quality lean Protein and veggies packs. And it's not easier to prepare, either.