Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

craving sweets more than ever

Has anyone experienced this after the lapband. Once I start eating sweets I cannot seem to stop. And I keep buying lower fat or healthier sweets but still can't seem to stop. I guess that is why I justify it to myself....it has oats in it etc. I've had three fills and still not much restriction if any. Feeling so frustrated with this and so disappointed in myself. I am seeing a counselor and exercising pretty regularly but nothing has changed. I need some kind of motivation...any input would be nice....thanks:scared2:

rpm2010

My advice is to not buy the sweets at all, even if they are on the healthy side. If you live with people who want them, have a talk with them and elicit their support. Explain it's just too tempting to have the treats in the house. Keep up the counseling and excersise, they are both very important. Good luck!

i buy sugar free pudding it works for me as long as i can have a little chocolate im good

Get rid of the sweets. They'll only get you craving for more.

The more carb loaded you are (and everyone has a different threshhold), the more you'll crave them...and even with restriction, your band most likely will allow you to eat sweets to your hearts content.

When I'm craving sweets, I eat a small apple. Some say eat something salty or fatty as that will kill the craving. Never worked for me. I wanted something sweet and the fruit helped.

I would try to find something that is low cal/fat and is individual servings. Do Not Eat more than one package. I've never been one to buy pudding cups but I have bought the sugerfree/low fat ones and they help with my dessert cravings. Preband I would make the No Pudge Brownies then I started to just dough raw but I was eating more than one servings worth. I had to stop buying it. To much of a problem for me.

One snack idea is Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt with fruit. I add a couple tablespoons vanilla whey Protein and several splendra. Really yummy and high in Protein. I often have it for Breakfast or as a prework out snack. Mixing it with a stick blender makes it fluffy and like dessert

Thank you everyone....I don't know why this sugar thing has gotten me. I didn't seem to have the craving like I do now but I keep buying the darn stuff....I feel like a big time addict but with sugar...who would have ever thought it. I know I have to get off the stuff but sometimes I feel like I can't. Don't know why I'm being so stubborn with this is beyond me.....rpm2010

RPM do a little experiment with yourself- try going very low carb, no sugar, no white flours for 2 weeks- this should kill the sugar demon!!!

Has anyone experienced this after the LAP-BAND®. Once I start eating sweets I cannot seem to stop. And I keep buying lower fat or healthier sweets but still can't seem to stop. I guess that is why I justify it to myself....it has oats in it etc. I've had three fills and still not much restriction if any. Feeling so frustrated with this and so disappointed in myself. I am seeing a counselor and exercising pretty regularly but nothing has changed. I need some kind of motivation...any input would be nice....thanks:scared2:

rpm2010

I like sweets but never really craved it before surgery... since surgery I have been craving sweet tasting things a lot more!! I have been buying sugar free pudding and yogurts and I also got some sugar free hard candy and suckers so when the craving hits I can just have one of those. Also fruit is good, sweet red grapes are awesome!

What about sugar free Popsicles? I'm not a fan of sweets so I can't wait to get out of the liquid phase (I'm over the sweet Protein drinks) but I do enjoy the SF Popsicles, especially the "Tropical" flavors.

Sugar free ice pops are great! At least thats what my doc said.. I love them :smile2:

Thank you everyone.....I know better. I have some SF popsickles but no I wanted more....Just have a war with myself...I hope it ends soon. Would there be a reason as to why I would crave sweets more since the surgery? I have been thinking about the low carb diet and that would probably solve alot of this. thanks again

rpm2010

Whilst I dont in general agree with the eat no carbs/crave no sweets band, I do find eating sugar makes you just keep wanting it. I dont find eating wholegrain bread, or Pasta gives me sweet cravings, but if I eat lots of sweet things, my eating does go totally off the rails.

Like you, I am just as bad with "healthy" sweets like granola bars, and even Protein Bars and shakes (which I consider junk, just masquerading as heatlhy foods) due to their very sweet taste just make me want more sweet food. Artificial sweetener doesnt cut it either, sweet is sweet and if I eat it, I want to keep going.

First line of defence for me is to eat properly and regularly in the first place - Protein and wholegrain carbs. Then stop and think when I go to eat - I will ALWAYS prefer a coffee and a nd sadly, just willpower.

The band has helped me lose a lot of weight, its gotten portion size under control for me but it has never ever ever made an impact on my sweet tooth. I have to do that.

I have found that, as I've pared out sugary (and most artificially-sweetened) foods, my previously overactive sweet tooth has gone into retirement.

That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes have treats; I do. But they are just that, occasional treats.

I now see the wisdom of my doctor's eating regimen. At first, I followed it simply because I believed (and experienced!) that it would best promote loss.

But I know get it: removing certain foods from my repertoire for a period of time quashed the craving monster.

And now, when I've been green-lighted to add foods back, they don't trigger craving.

It's pretty darn magical--at least for me. The monster has been slain.

So, I agree with the advice to get the stuff out of your house. Learn to manage your band, lose a significant percentage of your excess body weight, gain a sense of real mastery of the problem---YOU are in control!

And when the time comes, you can indulge---and the strength of any cravings that result will be more manageable, because you will have great coping skills, great weight loss, and a greater sense of control under your belt.

Just a cautionary note on the sugar free stuff. I've had blood sugar issues all my life...first hypoglycemia and now diabetes. Perhaps that's why eliminating the carbs are so critical for me.

One other thing I've found in the last year is that many sugar free products (i.e. pudding cups) are also a no-no for me. Not so much because of blood sugar but that sweet taste, sugar free or no, sets me craving more...and too much sugar free stuff can be a bad thing too.

I can't have the Jello chocolate pudding cups in my house because I will devour all 6 of those little buggers one right after the other.