Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surviving Bandster Hell...

I'm 3 weeks post op with a very conservative surgeon. I had 2 weeks of Clear liquids, and I am finishing out my first week (of two weeks) of mushy food which is only cottage cheese, non-fat yogurt, eggs and tofu- 3 meals a day no Snacks. I'm ok with him being careful during my healing stage...but MAN am I in Bandster Hell! I'm getting hungrier and hungier each day...and it's getting harder and harder to deal with! I'm sure SOME of it is head hunger....but most of it is the stomach grumbling hunger. I'm following his directions because I figure if I have come this far...I might as well go all out.

I'm losing weight, but I mean...shoot! Who wouldn't eating like this? lol I'm scared to death that when I'm supposed to get a fill, he'll tell me that I'm losing enough weight without it and I'll be in HELL for a lot longer! ARGH

How did you guys survive bandster HELL???? Anyone have any tips on how to get through this phase as smoothly as possible???

I was banded two weeks ago today. At my follow up last week, I was told I could start trying soft foods. Now, one week later, I have tried some other foods and have done well. However, I'm being sure to eat light (liquid or very, soft food) in the morning and at lunch and am starting to try other things. I'm chewing very carefully, eating slow and I've not had any issues so far.

Most doctors don't just use rate of loss as the indicator for the need for a fill. They assess whether you are being compliant with their eating regimen, then assess your satiety.

All of us lose if we're compliant---but most of that loss is due to sheer white-knuckling through real discomfort.

A good doctor will work with you to reach a level where you are able to be compliant without struggling and starving.

If you're pretty confident your doctor is a good doctor (which I bet you are--after all, you trusted him enough to operate on you!), then you can probably put your concerns about being denied a fill to rest.

If he does seem reluctant, gently remind him that your loss is due to dieting rather than assistance from the band. That you realize your role will continue to be compliant, to make the right food choices, to exercise, and so on--but that you also need help from the band, and therefore would like a fill.

I didn't have to survive bandster hell because my doctor doesn't believe in it. Two weeks post op and I was back on regular foods with the caveat to eat slowly, pay attention to the foods that were giving me problems and then avoid them. He was clear that until I had some restriction in my band I would most likely be able to eat as much as I used to. His advice..."if you're hungry, then eat" but he stressed making good choices and eating healthy meals. I didn't have the weight gain after surgery that many have and actually continued losing right up until I had restriction.

You may be worrying needlessly, but just in case, look through your band literature or go online if you weren't given any. My band literature (Realize band) states the conditions where a fill is needed and it has nothing to do with weight loss. My says a fill is needed if the patient is hungry and still able to eat to excess. The band, when at the right restriction, will not let you eat to excess without serious consequences (sliming, PBing, regurgitating, pain)...assuming you are eating healthy meals. For some reason, the junk goes down without problem so avoid it. Then highlight this information and take it into your appointment. If you're hungry and eating to excess...and your doctor still refuses a fill...find a new doc. Just my .02.

oh goodness...can I ever relate! I have an extremely conservative Doc, too. He seems to have the same diet requirements that your doctor does.... not only is it torture, but my stomach is CONSTANTLY growling. I mean... literally constant. I am NOT exaggerating for effect lol

It's embarrassing!

I have my 2nd post op appointment tomorrow (6 weeks post op) and we'll hopefully schedule my first fill. I have been losing, but I'm hungry most of the time and can easily eat more than they say I should. When I had my appointment 4 weeks ago the nurse practitioner told me they would fill depending on how hungry I am...

fingers crossed we both get our fills!

Thanks everyone. I feel so much better. I've seen a few posts where people stated that their doctors didn't give them a fill because they were losing weight at a good rate...which alarmed me. I just couldn't imagine having to continue a whole lot longer without any restriction like this. The stomach grumbling is crazy! It's constant...hopefully in my next appointment coming up soon I'll finally be out of this limbo phase..thanks again!