Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Erosion Experience

Dear Penni. Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything went well surgery-wise.

As for what you and Lisa said, I couldn't agree with you both more. We are not doctors (at least most of us aren't), and if something doesn't feel right, CALL YOUR DOCTOR.

Also, I can't stress enough, if you're banded out of the country & don't live close tothat other country, good local after-care, lined up BEFORE HAND, is a MUST. I know because I've had esophagus problems that necessitated un-fills 3 times. Hopping on a plane from NY to TJ is not an frequent option for an un-fill, time-wise or $ wise.

Penni, I know you'll do great; you've always been such a help & inspiration to all of us.

Oh, Penni, I'm so sorry! Hang in there.

I am so sorry - Thank God you are back and being so strong and postive. I go in Tuesday to see my Doc and am taking all the infor00 I have gathered over the last 3 weeks. I want my Endo this time around - no more anti meds for reflux.

Oh Penni, I am so sorry. I was in the hospital last week with my son and I am trying to catch up on the board and oh my I had no idea this had happened to you. You are such a strong person. Thanks for sharing your insight as it might help others. I have been worrying about it so much lately....

penni,

thanks for sharing your story. i too have that feeling that somethings just not quite right. in september i shelled out over 2,000 to have the band checked TWICE and was assured ita all good. but i still wonder. originally it took 3.4 cc's to have restriction, now 2.6 closes me up? just doesnt sound right!

anyhow, you have a come such a long way and are such a strong woman. i know you can make it! you also have all the good folks at LBT here for support.

you are in my thoughts,

Did your insurance pay to have the band removed? Or did you have to pay for it yourself? And if so, how much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking? My biggest fear is putting my family in the hole, financially, for a decision I made for myself...

Did your insurance pay to have the band removed? Or did you have to pay for it yourself? And if so, how much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking? My biggest fear is putting my family in the hole, financially, for a decision I made for myself...

So far my insurance is covering the surgery. I still have yet to get a bill so the final talley hasn't arrived as yet.

I can't tell you how much it cost to have the band removed. I never thought to ask and I was never told. I was too caught up in the moment of having the Endo one minute then the surgery 8 hours later.

By the way, I am doing GOOD. I am fighting the head hunger vs the physical hunger. I gained over the Christmas holiday. I expected that. But come the new year (absolutely NOT a New Year Resolution though), I plan on getting back to basics on eating and exercising.

I go see Dr. Billy on the 19th of Jan to discuss my options. I can't even begin to think about getting re-banded for 6 months. So I have to wait it out with eating and exercising discipline.

It is really scary though to know you can eat things you couldn't eat being banded. I ate a sandwich the other day with actual bread and without any problems. SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the support.

PS: Michelle if you see this. That was me that called your cell phone the other day. I was in your area and was gonna swing by your restaurant and say HI. By the time, I got your message we were already half way home. I will call you in the next few days.

WOW Ladies! Ican only say Im so sorry for your bad experiences, my heart goes out to you. It shows me just how vigilant we need to be when working with this band. I still havent had a fill and I cant feel the band at all, I hope this is normal. It seems that you had some internal intuition, and you followed that lead. I hope I can be as astute as you are. Thank you for your care for us in sharing your experiences. Ill remember you in my prayers.

Thank you all for the continued support. It is much appreciated. I can't emphasize enough to listen to your bodies. That little voice in your head that tells you something is wrong please listen to it.

OH my GAWD I just saw that Teresa posted. Thanks Donali for pointing that out.

Hey how was the Cruise? OK SPILL the details.

I don't see how port issues or stitches can cause an erosion--don't see the connection. Does it mean that an infection triggers the erosion? How would an ulcer contribute?

I don't see how port issues or stitches can cause an erosion--don't see the connection. Does it mean that an infection triggers the erosion? How would an ulcer contribute?

If you have an infected port, the infection can travel up the tubing and eventually land on the band. It can cause an inflammation of the stomach tissue and this might eventually lead to an erosion from the outside into your stomach.

Stitches placed in a way where the stomach can become irritated and this can also eventually lead to erosion. The band can rub against the stitches causing the irritation.

An ulcer is an inflammed area that if not treated can develop into an open sore inside your stomach, even without the band. So this can cause erosion from the inside out.

Hope this helped.

Thanks Penni. I hope you heal quickly and consider rebanding with a competent surgeon; I'm glad you didn't listen to your dr.

I think I have an ulcer or GERD so I will insist on an endoscopy. Since ulcers are caused by bacteria, I am getting concerned.