Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cannot tell you how over the last 2 weeks, how much I appreciate reading your experiences. I have attended seminars and support groups but nothing like the openess and honest of this message board.

I have been obese my whole life. Aside from the fact I put one an unwilling 40lbs that has pushed me to 300lb, I don't think I was going to change. I am otherwise healthy but traits in my family like diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension waiting for the opportune time to present themselves. I made the decesion to get banded. It is covered by my insurance and I am eager to make the life long behavior and lifestyle change.

While discussing this with my sister, she stated her only concern is that it is with me forever and my responce is I would need it forever. But she did make me think about it more. If there was a way to perform the same restriction without having to add "something inside of me" forever. I found the sleeve, which I guess is a median between banding and the bypass. My question to all is an my fellow people in the the struggle to get healthy; Why did you choose banding over bypass or the sleeve? Would you make the same choice if presented today?

I thank all who can provide input

Please remember, the wonderful thing about the band is that it can be forever and it can also be adjusted or removed depending on life circumstances, illness (God forbid), or problems down the road. I still have all of my insides and i have some control over the band. That is not true for either the sleeve or GB. The sleeve is still pretty new, but many doctors dont like the idea of removing half of your stomach and I dont like the thought either.

The band does not work for everybody, but it is a tool and if you use your tool you can be very sucessful. I love my band and I have lost to my goal weight. Went from a 20 to an 8..(and some 6's)...I had to exercise, eat right and all of that, but the band helps you along that path.

The wonderful thing I beleive about the band is, if I start gaining my weight back, I can go get a fill! yeah! Forever! Yeah...not the case with GB or the sleeve. And i know several folks who had GB, lost great fast...but now gaining it back. They have nothing to fall back on...I always do (although I hope not to have too)...Its your choice, but I love my band!

Please remember, the wonderful thing about the band is that it can be forever and it can also be adjusted or removed depending on life circumstances, illness (God forbid), or problems down the road. I still have all of my insides and i have some control over the band. That is not true for either the sleeve or GB. The sleeve is still pretty new, but many doctors dont like the idea of removing half of your stomach and I dont like the thought either.

The band does not work for everybody, but it is a tool and if you use your tool you can be very sucessful. I love my band and I have lost to my goal weight. Went from a 20 to an 8..(and some 6's)...I had to exercise, eat right and all of that, but the band helps you along that path.

The wonderful thing I beleive about the band is, if I start gaining my weight back, I can go get a fill! yeah! Forever! Yeah...not the case with GB or the sleeve. And i know several folks who had GB, lost great fast...but now gaining it back. They have nothing to fall back on...I always do (although I hope not to have too)...Its your choice, but I love my band!

Very good Pro!

For me the risk factor also played a factor. Much lower mortality/morbidity rates. I loved the idea that it could change with me and although perminant in my mind - in reality can be altered, removed if necessary. The surgery was very easy and recovery - at least for me - was non existant. I have now had my band for 6 months and am down 75 pounds. It has changed my life. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

My research lead me to the banding option. Firstly I am a winnie when it comes to surgical proceedures I just know the Bypass was too extreme for me. I have never met a person with a Bypass that did'nt have multiple complications. Lap band has issues but it is possiable to reverse or remove if need be. Recent studies on outcomes with Bypass are scary. The instances of heart attack and death are extremely high one yr out from surgery. They attribute this to nutrition no longer being asorbed by your body .........eek. This is not something anybody should want for themselves.

I definately thought about getting a VG since the % of weight lost is higher than the lap band (80% vs. 60% on average) but my husband talked me out of the VG. He is in the medical device industry and feels that a band can be removed but cutting out 2/3 of your stomach is forever. I agreed quickly and went forward with the band.

I think you have to consider to the LapBand only promises you that you could lose 50% of your excess weight, they do not tell you that amount might not be your goal weight. I love my Band and have been banded a year and a couple of months, started out at 251 lbs and am down to 177 lbs, My surgeon says that is like 65% of my excess weight and I might not lose anymore and he considers me a success at the surgery and if I asked to do a revision like to the sleeve he would not do it because I was successful at the surgery I chose.

I know many people who have made it to goal and 177 lbs is not my goal and I am still losing just slower and I intend to make it to goal. I met a 65 year old women at a support group last weekend and she had lost 240 lbs in four years on the band and she looked really good.

So just do your research. The LapBand was the right choice for me. Also I have seen people who have gained back on the LapBand and the Sleeve and Gastric Bypass, it all depends on how much you are willing to put in to it,

Cheri

Edited by 123crod
spelling

The band doesn't require cutting off 3/4 of a vital organ and tossing it in the trash.

It is too new to have any real figures but I'll be willing to bet that just like with bypass, the majority of patients that manage to live gain any weight they lost back.

The band requires maintenance if done right and helps keep us in check.