Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to the Band...after 3 years

Hello Everyone!

I am excited to be posting here...I lurk often but decided to get in here and ask my questions. I was banded 5 1/2 years ago. I was very successful and lost almost 100 lbs in about 10 months. I am sad to say that I am back at my pre-surgery weight today. I had many problems with acid reflux and had most of the saline let out of the band about 4 years ago and the rest is history. After much sadness and thought...I am 100% ready to get back on track and try again. I have an appointment on Tuesday for a fill. I am looking for some tips on how to get back on track. Does anyone have any tips for my fills...it has been so long. Acid reflux tips? Or has anyone been in my boat....lost a bunch, gained it back, then got back on track? Thanks everyone for your support. I am ready to do this!

I can't say I've been in your boat, but did have a problem with acid reflux when I was too tight. A sure sign. Since you had problems the last go around, make sure the doc isn't filling you too aggressively and if you have any trouble with reflux, get just a small amount taken out to see if that does the trick. My signs of being too tight were: pb 2-3 times a week, acid reflux at night, sliming, could only take small amount of Water at a time, most foods were uncomfortable to eat and a tendency to favor softer foods.

When I had reflux, the doc's office suggested to not drink anything for at least 1 hour to 90 minutes before bedtime. No eating at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. Maybe take a Pepcid chewable 1 hour before bed.

But really the only thing that helped me was to get .1 cc taken out, and then another .1 cc about a month later. I just wasn't happy with pbing and being uncomfortable eating. It didn't help my weight loss to be so tight and just made me fear eating out with anyone and having problems.

I wish you the best! I am so focused right now on maintaining and maybe losing another 3 lbs that the idea of putting all the weight back on with the band would be so disheartening. I really feel for you. Just remember the old band rules and remember until you get to the proper restriction it may take a fair amount of willpower to eat the right volume. Best of luck!

Try asking your insurance or doctor about some kind of herniation. I cant remember what was herniated with me (somewhere in the esophagus), where it was stretched and allowing food to come back up Luckily, when banding my doctor fixed that as well and I have no reflux at all. Its great.

I suffer from major acid reflux.. I take powder nexium 40mg daily. It works great. Especially with the band :biggrin:

how inspiring to hear your story, and how you have decided to fight back n try again! As one of the naughty ones who keeps it very tight i feel it is likely, given the massive loss in short time, that u were maybe also living too tight but loving the results? Learn by it, hon. I am trying to find the courage to stay at a sane level of restriction but fighting the regain fear is the worst bit. i had determined yesterday to re-start my own journey behaviourally - <see my old timers thread> where two ladies posted good advice plus a link to a food journal site. I wonder if anyone could direct us to the bandster rules? i too have forgotten them :) very best of luck to you - and well done again for going back into battle :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the support! I am really fighting to make changes this time around. I also would like to be reminded of all the rules after fills and such as I do not remember all of them. Thanks for any advice you can give.

best of luck!!!

good luck!!!!

I somewhat understand where u are coming from. I have been banded for 2.5 years and only lost 43lbs. I am now starting over and have had a really good week I am determined to work w/my band to lose atleast 43 more pounds. Keep in touch and hopefully we can do this thing.:)

Way to go Cegj29 and Barneygirl!! Never give up- you can do this.

hi theresa, how are you doing?

im not doing so well. Since my 1 year anniv in Sept i have had another fill ( dec) and i have only lost 2 lbs...i know exacly why. I have not been working out and i have been gracing alot. It seems i am always in the kitchen preparing something for my 3 small kids...they are always hungry...so, i go ahead and take a bite f this, a bite of that, some crackets...ect

I am dissapointed about myself, not the band. Its like i am sabotaging myself.

Have you gotten back on track???

My goal for 2011 is to llose 33 lbs by my Sept Bday...that would put me at 199...at this point that would put me over the moon!

hope all is well

I somewhat understand where u are coming from. I have been banded for 2.5 years and only lost 43lbs. I am now starting over and have had a really good week I am determined to work w/my band to lose atleast 43 more pounds. Keep in touch and hopefully we can do this thing.:)