Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

I'm getting banded on the 29th of this month. I currently live in London but I'm a true Texan. Maternity leave for me is almost over and before I go back to do what I do best, I figured I'd get a band put in before I got any bigger. I've had a weight problem ever since I moved away from the good old US of A. :thumbup: I miss home!

Support, advice and everything in between is welcome and appreciated. :)

Howdy, I live in TX I was banded on Monday in Dallas. Good luck to you. Are you going to be banded in London? Have you had to follow a pre-op diet? If so, how's it going? I lost 12 lbs during my 10 day pre-op diet. Keep me posted and again good luck.

Hi Losethemess!

I'm being banded in London. As much as I love Tx, I can't stand hanging out with my folks! They didn't really care about my diet too much, they want me on a low calorie diet till the op. I'm actually kinda freaking out because a lot of people on this forum have really negative things to say about the place I'm having my lap band put in. I feel so lost and a little hopeless.

There are people on this site who have used the people I'm going to use and they haven't lost ANY weight. Should I just cancel it?

As many will tell you, losing the weight isn't just about getting this surgery. It's all up to you. It's all up to how well you work with what you've been given :biggrin:

Stay focused, be positive, and follow all the nutritional and exercise guidelines given to you. You will do great :smile:

What are the people, you are talking about reasons for not losing weight? If you are banded, you follow the guidelines, exercise, diet and fills you should lose weight. I haven't read their post so I can't really speculate. Being banded is so difficult because you do most of the work. I think mentally preparing your self is key. Doing the pre-op diet and preparing for what you are about to endure after surgery, changing your eating and exercise habits is what you need to do in order to be successful. If you feel comfortable at your current surgical center and if you feel they will provide you with the proper support after surgery, I wouldn't cancel the upcoming surgery. It's really your decision. I love my Dr and the office staff they are great.

What are the people, you are talking about reasons for not losing weight? If you are banded, you follow the guidelines, exercise, diet and fills you should lose weight. I haven't read their post so I can't really speculate. Being banded is so difficult because you do most of the work. I think mentally preparing your self is key. Doing the pre-op diet and preparing for what you are about to endure after surgery, changing your eating and exercise habits is what you need to do in order to be successful. If you feel comfortable at your current surgical center and if you feel they will provide you with the proper support after surgery, I wouldn't cancel the upcoming surgery. It's really your decision. I love my Dr and the office staff they are great.

They are saying that their fills don't give them adequate restriction, that they have no aftercare (no diet support/no one to provide fills). They say that they haven't lost a single pound a year after being banded.

These are the most consistent and negative comments I keep hearing from them, but they always say they had great surgeons...just the aftercare sucked butt.

So now I'm worried, and scared and just overall on edge! I felt very comfortable with the surgeon and I do live in the city where lots of people can provide fills, which just means I'll go to someone else if I don't get what I want when I want it anyway (I'm incredibly impatient with the service sector!)

How soon after the op can you/should you have a fill?

I have my post op appointment on August 16th, then another appointment September 23rd, so I'm hoping for a fill then. It will be approximately 5 weeks after my surgery. It's on my calendar as a Post op nutrition class, but I will email my office about the fill. Not 100% sure it will be that day.

If your able to get outside support after surgery then you should be fine. I waited over 6 months to get my surgery, so once the date was set, I wouldn't cancel it for anything. I'm a teacher and I even missed the first week of school to have the surgery.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've been waiting over a year for my surgery so I guess I shouldn't really worry about everyone else and just do what I have to do. It's not like I have all the time in the world. I need to live my life and get one with things.

You really are making me feel better about this, thanks!