Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im banded!!!! - August Rush 2010

Hey guys, well i did it. It was banded yesterday!!! it was quite and ordeal also. Lets me start my saying that i arrived athe the hospital a 9:45am for an 11am surgery. Well because there was an emergamcy surgery performed in the early morning the entire surgery schedule was delayed. I was the last to end up in the OR at 4:30pm:cursing:. I sat in pre-op nervous, scared, frustrated, and angry !!!:) I ended up telling my best friend and my sister to leave (i did not want them to sut all that damn time) My wonderful fiance got off work at 3pm and came to this hospital. he said that i did not go in til 4:30pm.

Now i get to the recovery unit about 6pm and was there till a room was ready for me a 8:30pm. I was in and out of conciousness so it really did not seem that long. Now for the truth....from the first time they tried to wake me to now (i am home) i was in severe pain. from a scale of 1-10 the pain was a ten. When i seen my Dr. after he explained to me that everything went great but he had to tug and pull to get my port in place because i didnt have a big stomache. , and OMG that is what i can really feel. all i did in the hospital last night was cry (an i have a high tolerence for pain).

I was released today at 12pm, with roxicet (that was the only drug that i was given that works for me, morphine did NOTHING but put me to sleep.< /p>

I did not experience any bad gas pains (yet) but because i have asthma really bad it was alittle hard to breathe. I have been eating popsicles and drinking Water, i have not been hungry just a really dry throat and lips.

well that is what i can think of for now, feel free to ask me any questions for those who are about to be banded. I will keep everyone updated throught my recovery process. I am supposed to go back to work on tues and i hope i will be ok. My mom has my baby girl, because she is very clingy to me and i really really miss her but it is for the best i can not take care of her. However i do have my 9 year old (the little helper) and my fiance her with me.

i cant wait for this pain to be gone~ Dena

Dena, I am sorry you are having such an ordeal. It is wonderful you have such supportive family around you.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Mimi

It's good to hear your experience since I was delayed and in pain as well. It's just good to hear someone else felt that way too. Maybe it was an 8/11 thing:tt2: Anyways, glad to hear you are out and doing better! The best is yet to come!

:wink2: thanks guys you all have hslped and supported me too!!! I am so thankful for you guys on this site. Each day gets a little better, i gor my liquid roxicet and i a doing a lot better here at home! and i am still NON HUNGRY!!!! Yay!!!!:)

all of us August rushers need to get together next august for an bandiversary! i would love to meet you guys in person everyone that i have been chatting with has been sooo supportive an nice too me.:)

Well it is 7 am here in Pittsburgh and my roxicet is kicking in gotta take a little nap! I will check back in later this evening!!! Take care everyone!!!

~Dena~:)

Thanks Shadena for your op day report! Sorry you are in pain though. Like you, I don't have much fat around the middle. Hummm, wondering about that port site. Not only that, but I've watched a few Lap-Band surgeries on line. After the the surgeon makes his cut, he is really going in there with his hand and bluntly moving stuff around. No wonder the port site is so painful!:) My surgery is Aug. 24 and I'm counting down the days! Thanks again for your detailed report. I hope you get to feeling better as each day passes!

Congrats! I was also banded yesterday came home this morning. My pain was not a 10, but its up there.

Wow! I'm happy you got your band but sorry you had the pain. Hope it gets better fast!

Well now my pain is about a 3 and that is incision pain when i move. The gas has started today, it is moving and i am burping but no passing gas out the other end. but the gas pains are not bad at all. One of my incisions was oozing today, i called the Dr. office and she said that it was normal as long as it was not puss like. this was clear with a little blood, i was told that was where my drain was and it is one of the larget incisions. The dr. said that it should stop draining by tomorrow or Sunday. i have to take my dressing off today and shower. but i have to keep the one covered til the draining stops, then i will take a good shower.

I am feeling a little better about the process now, yesterday i was not a happy camper!!!

my daughter is coming home today!!! she is on her way now i missed her soooooo much! she is 17 mos.:)

I am keeping up on your progress..glad you are feeling better. Keep us posted:) My date is August 26th

Hey guys i kinda had a little set back, well you know i was supposed to go back to work tomorrow, well because i have been on Clear liquids all week i am horribly weak, it hit me yesterday. I went for my first post op appt today and my dr said that i should take the rest of the week off to rest and gain my strengh back so back to work next Monday.:lol: But the good thing is that i have successfully progressed to the pureed phase. Yay!!!!!:lol:

I also found out that i have accuired acid reflux really really bad since the band was inserted. The dr said that it was common and advised me to start taking Prevacid . I was also having some drainage from one of my incisions (it stopped yesterday) the dr said that it was alos normal and my incisions did not look red, irritated, or infected. I just have to keep a dressing over it for a few more days. Other than that he is very pleased with my progress!:lol:

Ok so here is what you have all been waiting for: Since my surgery 5 days ago i have lost 5lbs!!!!!!!:lol:

The dr did warn me that since i will be starting the pureed foods the weight might come off as fast. It may or it may not he just wanted me to be prepared.

i am still really sore near my port, i'm still bloated (i look about 4 mos preg), still really tired, but remaining hopful that I CAN DO THIS, i hope this is the hardest part!

Good luck to everyone getting banded soon!

~Dena~

It's so interesting how the docs are. i was told three weeks only liquid Protein Shakes but had to go out to a birthday dinner so even though most of my dinner was chicken broth from chicken tortilla Soup and from the wine I had at dinner, I still ate (pulverized?) some lettuce from the salad and vegetables from the soup. I was scared and absolutely didn't want a problem. My eating didn't go unnoticed and I was asked about why I was only eating Proteins and vegies....however, I didn't have any lapband issues (hiccuping, pbing, etc) and I was just bound and determined to make it through this social event. I am still tired and worried about repercussions but am happy that i didn't eat or intake what Iwould have if I wasn't lap band. Am I alone in this?

Hi Guys! I'm being banded on the 29th. I'm a little worried about how much pain I'm going to be in and how much time I'll be able to spend with my son. I have family to help me out until I feel stable enough to do it all on my own again.

He's got a birthday coming up and I'm planning on doing his birthday party three weeks later, do you think that is being too ambitious?

I think this will be my first post, although I've been lurking on this forum for ages. I've been thinking about the lap band for two years now, but wasn't approved over the NHS (I'm an American, but living in London) so I'm doing this privately. I was really hoping my fat would melt away with all the other options first, but nothing worked.

Nice to meet you all!

hey everyone!

it is official i am 200 lbs today! since my surgery i lost 9 lbs, and since my journey started i have lost 31lbs and it is noticeable. My son told me that i look younger and he gave me a big hug!!!! I have a meeting when i go back to work next week, and i have been off for 2 weeks and i wonder what people are gonna say? and what am i gonna say? any suggestions?

i was banded 8 days ago! i had a rough week but i am finally coming around! When i went to the dr on monday i was told that i have an AP standard band and he did leave a little Fluid in the band. The said i have only been able to eat like 4-5 small (baby sized) spoonfulls of mushies. Also I am scared to see what happens if i over eat. I have been paying attention to the signs of fullness and i stop eating. my dr said that was great!!:thumbup:

Take care everyone!

~Dena~

Shadena, thanks for your continuing posts! Glad to see that you are feeling better each day. Did you tell people you work with that you were going to be "banded"? Wow, 31 pounds is like 2 sizes down!