Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take until you got restriction?

I'm curious. How many months/or fills did it take you to get restriction after your surgery?

My first post op visit is on Tuesday I plan to ask then how much my first fill will be.

It took me 3 fills over 2-3 months to get restriction. Very few people get restriction on the first fill. Hang in there and know it will happen.

My second fill -- for a total of 7 CCs in a 10 CC band -- did the trick. I have what I consider perfect restriction. I can still eat just about anything, just not very much.

I had a little restriction after surgery and a little more after the first fill. But now it's like the difference between night and day. Now I really feel like I have a band!

Just got my third fill today and just finished having a create your own salad with grilled chicken 4 vegetables, croutons and caesar dressing and ate it like nothing.

Definitely have no restriction.

Honestly I don't think pre-op they can tell you what kind of first fill you will have. I am a week away from my first fill and although I have a feeling for my doctor's style, I think he will rely heavily on my experience I came off liquid. I mean, everyone is different and your doc can't know how you are until you are eating again. For example, I eat now and I get full on VERY little food, but I am hungry again within 2.5-3 hours. I know that my doctor's goal is to get me to 4-5 hours, which means I know I will have some sort of fill. But if I were not getting hungry for 4 hours, I would assume he would give me less fill.

It is so different for everyone. I have had 4 fills and two slight unfills after a surgery in February. I am losing weight very consistently now and have almost no hunger, but I feel like I am eating too much at meals. I plan to leave things alone so long as I am not feeling hunger between meals and still losing at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week. If that changes than I will get a slight fill to give me better restriction and keep me from feeling hungry too soon. I'm guessing if all the parts are in place, even if I think I am eating too much but weight is coming off, than it is all good. I'm guessing too tight restricts too many calories that really are needed and makes one go into starvation mode slowing weight loss to a standstill (where I was for the three weeks before the slight unfill).

My first fill did nothing and my second one (2 months after being banded) did the trick! It's been five months and I still have very good restriction. Good luck! It varies so much person to person that I wouldn't read too much into these responses.

6 Months and 9 CC!!! very frustrating but glad to finally have it....:)

At fill 5 I started to feel some restriction. At fill 6 I now have hit my sweet spot and have lost 10 pounds since June which is a lot for me.