Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the banded ladies....

Do they let you wear your panties for surgery or do you have to take them off?

I'm asking b/c I have this horrible bleeding problem. I had uterine ablation in May but I guess it didn't work. If it doesn't stop by mid August then my Ob/Gyn wants to remove my uterus.

I know I shouldn't even worry about this b/c they are medical professionals and have seen it all but I don't want to make a big mess somewhere.

I had a breast reduction years ago and I was on my period when the surgery date rolled around. I had to take off my panties, but they let me keep in my tampon. They also have the HUGE pads if you need them. Some doctors also have the big granny disposable panties to wear with the big pads. I'm sure your doctor has seen this before, but you may want to speak to him or her before your surgery. I don't know about you, but I know that would make me feel more prepared.

I hope your Ob/Gyn can get your uterine problems fixed for you. Good luck to you. :cursing:

My biggest problem is that I can go hours with no bleeding and then suddenly it starts up again out of nowhere. That's what really sucks about it:(

That sucks really bad! You might want to talk to the Dr. about this and maybe have a pad on just in case.

I wish I had more to say, buy all I keep thinking is " That really, really sucks!!"

I hope everything works out with for you.

I had to take off my panties during surgery, so if I were you I would just talk to your doctor and see if you can come up with a plan. I hope everything works out for you!!!

I was on my period during surgery... the pre-op nurse i spoke with on the phone the day before surgery said that i could wear panties as long as they were cotton... Each hospital has their own rules and how strict they are to follow them... I would just tell them your situation and ask how they would normally handle it.

It really does suck:( I wish my surgeon could take out my uterus while I'm under. I hate to have 2 surgeries back to back:(

Panties off---and theoretically, no sanitary napkins or tampons. BUT--I had my period, used an Instead soft cup (which I use, anyway)---and my bleeding was therefore contained.

I had no problem at all, postoperatively, dealing with my own hygiene needs--no difficulty removing and reinserting due to abdominal pain, or anything like that.

I'm a former RN--and know that the bleeding would not have caused a single eyebrow in the OR to raise. It really is a total non-issue to medical personnel. (In fact, it's really common for women who are not menstruating to begin during or shortly after surgery--so they do see it a LOT.)

But for my OWN comfort, I chose to do it this way. It made me feel as though I was in control of at least one thing when I was otherwise out of control.

They told me I could wear them as long as they were cotton no synthetic stuff.

No undies. I have an IUD and I bleed at odd times, and just guess what happened as soon as I got to the hospital on surgery day?!? Thats right, BLEEDING!!!

I think it was the stress. No tampon or pad. I told the nurse and she put one of those peepee pads under me on the bed. Very embarassing. I did see a little blood on the sheets when I woke up from surgery but it was really not that much. I asked and they gave me a pad for my undies for the ride home.

I dont think they noticed or cared, but I was mortified.:cursing:

The hospital provided sterile disposible underwear...don't worry everything will go well...project positive energy into the universe regarding your surgery! Good luck in your wgt loss journey! Oh, by the way, as luck would have it I started my period the day of surgery...don't worry.

Edited by losingwgt

I peed myself after surgery and told them so when they were moving me into a new bed during post-op. They didn't care and I didn't either. When you're groggy and out of it, nothing else really matters. In fact, I just remembered it, so it was a total non-issue. You will meet with a nurse pre-op, so just explain your problem then and they will take care of it.

When you're groggy and out of it, nothing else really matters.

I totally agree with you on this KimmyTx.

You don't really care when you are groggy and out of it. I remember looking at myself in the mirror, after I got home from one surgery I had in the past. I looked like I must have been wrestling someone while I was in a wind tunnel. My hair was everywhere and looked frightening. It looked like it hadn't been brushed at all, but I didn't give a damn. I just wanted to crawl into bed. I would have been mortified under any other circumstances. I had also started my period the day before and I didn't care about that either. I was concerned when I got to the hospital that morning, but the anesthesia wiped that all away.

If you feel really anxious, call the hospital tomorrow. Most hospitals have a barriatric nurse now that will follow you throught the process. Tell her and form a plan now, this will cut the anxiety out for you. Remeber surgeons see everything all the time and they are professionals, so dont sweat this. Get a plan and now it will be ok! Good luck!

Spoiltmom,

Try to relax and don't worry about it. They have chucks which are big cotton pads they can put underneath you, and they have disposable panties you can wear. Bleeding is the least of your worries,but I know it is a concern. Being a nurse for 20 years, I can guarantee you, that we wouldn't even bother to comment on your bleeding , we are more worried about your vitals and any unusual piercings or tatoos your may have.......LOL...just kidding.....onenuttynurse