Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

sourmissg: she said because we have a higher potential for dehydration. She also reminded me that we can't drink with our meals we have to wait 30 min after we eat.:biggrin:

Mom05, Thanks for the infor, that's very important. I know a young lady that was dehydration a couple times . When the time comes I'm going to get a couple of water bottle to keep with me.

stateofzen: I don't know if it has... I saw something on utube of a people stating it failed after 7/8 yrs but I think just like everything your going to find posatives and negatives.... I think we all did the re-search, feel good about our doctor's and made the right decisions for us...:smile:

Stateofzen, That is a wonderful ideal about the books. After I get my approve I'm going to follow suite

Hi Everyone! HAPPY FRIDAY... and one day closer to being banded! :biggrin:

Welcome kosy2! And congrats on your surgery date! Yeah Im pretty sure your surgeon wont notice a couple days! Enjoy yourself!

desperatelyw.loss- that really sux about all the confusion and the big mess. I agree with phershey... demand to have all the kinks worked out before you leave. Thats crazy, how do they screw up so many things for one person? But.. it will all work out anyway! Whats a couple extra weeks when you will have a lifetime ahead of you!

Ya know, its funny how we all have different info from our doctors... different pre-op requirements (some 1 week, some 2, others none), different drinking requirements (my doc told me no drinks 30 min before a meal and not for 1 hour after; others are told 15/30 and 30/30), post-op diet (ive heard some say they can eat regular food after 3 or so days, I was told- 1 day clear; 1-2 weeks liquid; 2 weeks of mushy and then solids.)

I was told that i should be getting 500-800 calories per day for the first month, 800-1000 calories from 2-6 months and then 1000-1200 from 6 months to 1 year post op... Then after the year mark, expect to maintain 1200-1400 calories, depending on your activity level.. Hmmm all very interesting.

My thought as well as my advice for wanna.b.healthy-

As far as the "failing" after 7-10 years, I think its all relative to who does what. Some people never lose any weight with the band; ive heard some people gain weight... Its all what we individually do with it. If we eat like we have been to gain the weight, we won't be successful. Its not just the band. Its the lifestyle and how you change yourself. Can't eat a box of ho-hos or a half gallon of ice cream and expect to still lose weight. We need to mentally change ourselves along with the physical. We need to start thinking healthy and thin.. We need to remind ourselves to listen to our bellies after the surgery- it should tell us that we are full after just a little bit of food and we need to ignore our minds that tell us we need more. We need to be aware of "slipping foods" that easily digest and allow for us to eat more.

I agree with stateofzen.. the more we prepare, the more we educate ourselves, the more we discuss, the more we read, the more we visualize- the better off we all are. Everyone has different experiences so we can't go by just one person, but it we take all of what we hear with just understanding some peoples experience, challenges, success, the better!

CSinTX- Ohh my, so close! I love your up to the second, report! Thats awesome!

wanna.b.healthy -- Stick around, air out your feels because they will change daily. Feel free to ask ANY questions and we are your family through this. Welcome aboard.

mom05 -- If I only have the band for 10 years, I'll take it. That will hopefully give me enough time to learn new habits. My other thought is that even though the band has only been around for 10 years or so - fake boobs have been around for decades and they are still standing strong.

I have enjoyed having several weeks to prepare for this. I spent the first several weeks after approval reading everything again. I read it through the first time but did not get too serious about it until I was approved. I hate being disappointed so I waited until after approval before doing much. After reading I started figuring out what I needed to purchase for the pre-op diet and then after I got the surgery date, I started looking into what to purchase for the 4 weeks post-op diet. I have literally spent every day this week, reading labels at the local grocery stores, wal-mart and GNC on my lunch hour. I have had plenty of time to prepare and not feeling rushed at all.

Edited by CSinTX

CsinTX- LOL, sooo true:smile:

What's going on people Sept People? So I went and bought the P90X, the Magic Bullet Express, weight scale for my food and some dessert plates to use as my reg plates. I can't wait to lose all these pounds :0)

NYsLegend78 -- WOW - the P90X. You must let us know how you progress. Don't forget to post pictures of your new ripped body.

Cathy

Hi all!! I'm new around here.

My surgery is set for September 16th. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and being in a network of support.

I'm going to do a little reading and lurking and catching up on the boards here, but wanted to through out my first question to you all.

How open are you being with people about what you are doing? Are you telling everyone? telling just family and close friends?

Paige

@ onceuponaband im not too secretive because i figure if you told one person you have told too many and of course ive heard- you dont need to do this you can do it on your own but they dont know my struggle so i ignore them. I have a question has anyone had the final meeting with the surgeon and been giving their pre-op diet because i haven't my surgery is scheduled for 9/16 should i call the office???

Sunny day - we're band twins! 9-16 for me too.

I had my pre op diet meeting this past week, but I don't have to do full on liquids, just limited calorie, fat, higher Protein kind of stuff. I go Mon for my physical at my regular dr. Then I meet with the nutritionist again the day after labor day. Oh, and go to the hospital for my pre-op there next week.

I would call on Monday and just ask if you need to set up any appointments or come in at all

onceuponaband --- Hi Paige. Welcome and congratulations on your surgery date. We look forward to hearing about your journey through this.

I have opted to tell only 2 co-workers, my husband and daughter. At first my excuse was not to say a word until I know for sure that I was approved. Now that I have been approved I still don't want people to know. I don't want people to think, "Is that on your diet" or "Should you really be eating that". I would rather right now just let them think that this is just another "normal" diet and be quite. I'm sure one day when they finally get enough nerve to ask what my secret is I'll let it out but not till then.

sunny day -- I am in the same boat as you. I met my surgeon on Feb 3 at the seminar and have not seen him since. I will see him for the second time this coming Thursday for a pre-op meeting and then I have surgery 15 hours later. I got my pre-op diet info from the dietitian.

It certainly would not hurt to call and ask when your pre-op appointment will be. That way you are not slipping through the cracks and have to reschedule because of someone else's mistake. I have always been proactive instead of reactive though when I can because I don't like surprises. They never seem to be good. Anyway, give them a call for peace of mind.:biggrin:

Cathy

Edited by CSinTX

Our Month:

(only 11 more days before our fun begins)

September 1 - BandedNellie, karmaandkismet

September 2 - rkwilliams1013, Run Girl Run, pooky032281, ahlmanfamily

September 3 - Freshstart2010, gracerev, ILUVFOOD

September 7 - danide, Nani4five, sannersplace72, swissnis*

September 8 - NYsLegend78

September 9 - Butterfly2010

September 10 - jlr58, MrsFitand42, ally UK

September 13 - lillyegg, debrarh

September 14 - KAS1971, TheMaxwellFamily, WAH.MOM, purplevix*

September 15 - Kysmith72, piperboo

September 16 - sunny day, fldanny, kimmila, onceuponaband*

September 17 - Stateofzen, hserrra, blondeej

September 22 - ebonykisses, kittykat56, papoose, mom05

September 23 - emsbugbug

September 27 - babyk

September 28 - Zippy74, kosy2*

September 29 - wanna.b.healthy*

September 30 - sourmissg, mrsbure

*newest additions

those approved/self pay and waiting for dates:

sarwenc

TheLovelyMissJ

desperatelyw.loss

HeatherinCA

phershey

Edited by Banded-Sept-2010

My date is 9/22/10. I was approved by Aetna in 1 day. Yayyy

Thanks for the thoughts! I do feel ready for a lifestyle change and feel that this tool is what I will need to make it happen this time. I'll be looking to my new forum friends for encouraging words and when I'm hungry in these 40 days until surgery, I'll type instead of eat -- how's that sound?

My date is 9/22/10. I was approved by Aetna in 1 day. Yayyy

Congratulations!!!! What a way to start the weekend.

BOY, I'm very impressed with the welcome, kindness, and good advice given already. I can see this forum is going to be a great tool to help me have success through the next 40 days until my banding and then as I'm able to let the real me out of this fat body. Thank you for taking the time to reply and to encourage me! It's a blessing!