Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone here start with a bmi under 40?

Hi all,

I have a low bmi, 38. I am not sure that I should be considering this. Most of the people I speak to have bmi's much higher.

Medical people here in the states won't touch me. They tell me I should diet. The point is I have tried and failed at every diet there is. I gain weight in the end. I am at my wits end. I hate the way I look and the way I feel.

Am I wrong to want this? The doctors here sure made me feel that way. Is there anyone here who can identify with me? Any one here that had a low bmi?

I feel like such a looser.

Help

Bruce

i'm a lightweight too. my bmi is only around 32 but if i don't get help now, oneday it will be 42 or 52 etc. the states won't touch me either that's why i've ultimately decided to go to mexico, my surgery date is dec13th. i've done the same diets over and over again that we all have my whole life, i've been really thin and really fat over and over again, nothing ever lasts, even when i do it the "right" way. i've watched my mom, who is short and fat just like me, as are all the women in my family, deal with the ravages of diabetes for 12 years now. i feel like no matter what i do i'm destined to turn into her and the rest of the women in my family. for me, this is preventative care. why should i wait until i have diabetes for sure before doctors are willing to help me? i won't do that to myself. i've come to terms with admitting that i need help and now i'm doing what i have to to get it. so no, you are not wrong in wanting this, you know your body better than anyone. you take care of you :)

Yes Bruce i had a low BMI also, Everyone thought I was crazy also for wanting to have the surgery. But I didn't care what everyone else thought. I just new I was miserable and did not want to be fat the rest of my life. I was 200lbs and 5"4. I didn't have a problem finding Doctors willing to perform the surgery since I was self pay. I found one in Birmingham Alabama. I decided on Dr. Rumbaut because he had so much more experience than the ones in the United States.If I can be of in help please let me know.

I was at 37.1 and my doc took me with no problem. Of course I have/had high bp and high cholesterol, DDDisease and arthritis in the spine. My doc said I'd just skim by with the insurance company and I did.

Don't give up Bruce !!!

Hey, I had a BMI of about 38. I did the surgery because obesity killed my grandma and completely incapacitated my mother at the young age of 60 (diabetes/strokes)----- I care for her now as she is on hospice. I see everyday what is in store for me if i don't get a handle on this.

Thank you everyone! I feel alot better now.

Nickie, Can you share your experience with Dr. Rumbaut? How did you get checked before surjury? Did he refer you to a stateside Dr? I assume one must have a pre-op consultation, yes?

Bruce

My BMI is 35 and I had surgery yesterday. Insurance paid for it. Do you have any health problems?

none, just overweight

i was low bmi at 34. i had surgery 3 weeks ago and was part of a low-bmi study at nyu. if you're interested in participating in a study, check out www.thinforlife.med.nyu.edu. they're investigating whether banding people who are obese or severely obese have a good chance of avoiding the health pitfalls morbid obesity brings. also feel free to pm me for more info. the only thing is that it's self pay. but it's not too much more expensive than Mexico though.

in terms of the surgery, you're not being experimented on as far as the surgery itself. the only thing they're testing is whether banding sooner rather than later would help. i had a great experience with the surgeons and they have a lot of experience with placing bands. good luck with your search!

i was low bmi at 34. i had surgery 3 weeks ago and was part of a low-bmi study at nyu. if you're interested in participating in a study, check out www.thinforlife.med.nyu.edu. they're investigating whether banding people who are obese or severely obese have a good chance of avoiding the health pitfalls morbid obesity brings. also feel free to pm me for more info. the only thing is that it's self pay. but it's not too much more expensive than Mexico though.

in terms of the surgery, you're not being experimented on as far as the surgery itself. the only thing they're testing is whether banding sooner rather than later would help. i had a great experience with the surgeons and they have a lot of experience with placing bands. good luck with your search!

thanks,

I just took a look and it requires either sleep apnea or diabetis. Did you suffer from either?

Bruce

Ive got a BMI of 35 but I'm in Australia. Statistically, anything over about 20kg to lose and it's not likely you're going to do it. Here, they're very sensible in their approach to the band and are also willing to consider people of 30-35 BMI because they realise it's only a matter of time before the weight problem is bigger. Its also a case here of if the surgeon recommends it then Medicare and generally Private Health insurance will cover it, there's none of the quibbling and exclusions and all that stuff.

They would also practically never recommend a bypass instead, it's hardly done here at all.

I'm getting done on Friday, I need this operation. I dont believe you get to a BMI of 35 without the same types of food and eating issues that are going to eventually take you to 40, 45 or more. The only difference is for me, there's a big preventative factor involved, I want to take action before I start to experience comorbidities.

Bruce,

You and only you know the struggles you have had. You have a right to stop that. this is discpline, but it is a chance to stop the yo yo stuff. I have been pretty healthy, but going to 200 at 5.2, I could not live with any more to depress me nor alter the way I wanted to live my life. (my daughter got married in July, I went from 145-200 following knee surgery and now I have to look at fat mother of the bride pictures for the rest of my life!) this was my pattern for years, surgeries and other trama's.

I opted for self pay, even though I have had 7 knee surgeries, total replacement, revisions, etc. The weight had to come off, mostly for my poor knee, but I ended up finding out right before surgery I had gallstones,so that came out, and a hiatal hernis, which took a bit to graft while in surgery for the band. I believe if I had wanted to wait for a COE, (Center of Expertise) hospital,( not in Santa Barbara area) mine would have been covered. Still even with people saying "why?" there will always be those and they do not live in your body.

I wish you the chance to change your life, I am thrilled, still on the healing phase, learning how different my intake is now, but the more I read and experience my banded stomach I am excited to learn better habits.

I support you doing what you know is best.

Debra

My BMI was 38. My Dr. never said anything about me being too light. That would have been a first! I was self pay. $13,000. Ouch. So far it's been worth it. Find a Dr. that understands your pain of being fat, and wants to help you.