Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories do you burn at the gym???

I just wanted to see on average what how many calories people were burning at a time exercising? What is a good number? I am doing around 300 a day exercising but I have heard it should be higher. Now I am rethinking what I am doing and may have to try and spend more time there.

Hi Jen. I am not sure about the number of calories I burn. I work out about 4 times a week. I do 30 minutes on the treadmill alternating the incline so that I keep my heart rate up in the fat burning/cardio range for my age and then I do a little bit on the machines (stomach crunches really). I have people that say I need to be going every day or going for at least an hour and I just politely ignore them. I think the most important thing is consistency and moderation. I have come to the realization that exercise is now going to be a part of my life and so I just keep it reasonable and something that I can keep doing.

You must be doing something right you have lost alot of weight!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

I don't monitor calories burned, but there are some ladies in my Jazzercise classes that do (using Polar Heartrate Monitors) and I've heard numbers everywhere from 400-700 calories for the hour-long class. And, an additional 300+ for the weight training class.

Honestly, I don't really trust those numbers anyway. I mean exercise has so many benefits that go beyond what you burn during the time you are doing it. It boosts your metabolism for hours afterward. And, if the exercise you do builds muscle, that extra muscle increases your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) so you are burning more calories all the time (even on days you don't exercise).

I agree w/the other poster (Karen) that consistency is the most important thing when it comes to exercise. I guess I wouldn't focus too much on the exact calories you are burning, but increase your exercise when you feel good about what you are already doing and feel like you are ready to commit to more.

Also, some good advice I got on another thread is to consider increasing the intensity or variety of your exercise rather than just adding more. You will probably get more bang for your buck this way.

I actually just started doing the elliptical machine a few days ago so I am doing that and the treadmill to try and break the boredom I am feeling. I guess I will just try and work up more of a sweat when I am there!!!!!

I dont quite trust the numbers either, you just never can really know.

By all accounts, my sessions (which are not in the gym, I do running, bootcamp and boxing) burn around 600 to 700 in an hour, and I know when I get on my treadmill, I usually run 7kms which says I burn 700 calories.

I know I can eat 2000 a day and maintain, so its probably not TOO far off.

But I agree, for me exercise is about a lot more than calories.

You work up to it, dont feel you're not doing enough, when I started off I ran, walked 4kms at a time, it was more like 400 calories. Its taken me a couple of years to comfortably burn 700 or more and to be able to towel off and get on with my day without being exhausted. Its now a part of my day that takes under an hour, and there's no way I have more time to burn more. I agree with the above poster, it needs to be a comfortable part of your day and you will burn more as you get fitter, not by trying to find time you might not have.

When I first got banded, I was trying to do 600-700 calories each time I went to the gym (3-4 times a week). My trainer made me stop. He said you don't want to work out so hard that you end up burning muscle mass and not fat. Also, as you lose weight, you are going to have to exercise more (or eat less) to sustain the weight loss. If you are working out over an hour now, what are you going to do down the road?

So, like Karen said, consistency is the key. I would stick to one thing (treadmill, elliptical etc) for 6 weeks and then change to something else. Your body gets used to what you are doing, so it's important to change it out. (also, you can get bored). Lifting weights (light ones are fine) is good for muscle tone and muscle helps to increase your metabolism. If you can work with someone who can show you some things to do, that can help as well.

Good luck!

I have just joined a boot camp for exercise and it lasts for an hour. I think I might be burning anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories daily because it is very intense workout.

I am in adv spinning class 5 to 6 times a week, and I burn right around 700 calories depending on how diligent i am that day....its a hour class..Now if i don't go to the class, I almost feel guilty for not going...My weight loss has been slow, but its the toning that i am loving. People think i have lots tons of weight. Right now I am at a 45lb loss, but look alot thinner, so I am excited for that...My butt no longer has its own zip code...... :)

My Body Bugg said today when I walked 5 min and then ran the rest of the 5k I burned 440 calories which is wonderful because I am trying to work up to running for an hour and I should burn 600 calories doing that.