Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High protein/Low carb Pre-Op diet anyone?

My surgery is scheduled for July 21. My doc requested that I go high protein/low carb diet and loose as much weight as possible during surgery.

Question is, what did you eat if you followed this diet plan? And low carbs? How low is too low? He didn't give me a number. I feel like I need a number. Calling the office is difficult because I can't really make calls during the day.

I made out some meal plans for the next few weeks and tried to stick to less than 20 carbs a day. I just feel that is a little low.

What did your Dr. recommend?

My doctor is a low carb fanatic! He said 30mg or less!!! It was hard at first but I have lost over 20lbs in the past three weeks. No fruit...it is full of carbs. But I could have all the meat and veggies I wanted. eggs and cheese are fine as well. sugar free popsicles and Jello. Tomorrow I start my liquids only and then Thursday I will be banded...

Thanks Navy Wife! I knew I couldn't be alone. 20 pounds! WTG!!!! I have ruled out the fruit. I will miss pineapple terribly! Best wishes this week!

Muddie

:ohmy:

:thumbup:Thanks Muddie!!! You are DEF not alone! It is so worth it! All I can think of is how GOOD I am going to look! Thanks for the wishes. I will keep everyone posted.

Wow!! 30g???!!!! I would have gone crazy.

My pre op was 10 days of high protein/low carb and the guidelines were: 117-133gm Carb, 61-96 gm Protein and 870-1070 calories total. I don't eat beef or pork (and very little turkey or chicken) so I was downing fish like crazy.

I didn't lose that much (they didn't tell me I had to lose anything LOL!) but I think that was also affected by the fact that I had to go off my birth control pill right in the middle of my cycle and I got my period 2 days before my surgery!!!

Good luck to you!

kagead

I have to do no more than 30 gms of carbs and AT LEAST 70 gms of Protein. They gave me a list of different Proteins and carbs and the serving size and how many gms of carbs in each serving. Then the day before surgery I am on a complete liquid diet but Im just grateful its not 2 weeks of liquid. I think I can handle the low carb/high protein diet.

I've been on the high protein/low carb/low fat diet since Friday, June 18th for surgery on July 2nd. My doctor also didn't really give any guidelines to exact numbers of carbs, just for the Protein. I've been able to stay at it pretty hardcore. I've lost 16.5 lbs so far.

Thats awesome! Congrats on the weight loss!

I've been on the high protein/low carb/low fat diet since Friday, June 18th for surgery on July 2nd. My doctor also didn't really give any guidelines to exact numbers of carbs, just for the Protein. I've been able to stay at it pretty hardcore. I've lost 16.5 lbs so far.

Good Morning All:

Getting my band day after tomorrow - 7/1. Doc has me on the Atkins diet for 1 week pre-op. Its been wonderful. Not pigging out but have a hamberger patty and 2 eggs for B'fast, chef's salad for lunch, and a good protien dinner, typically steak, cod fish, chicken, or pork. Been an easy trip, and been losing weight too.

My reward for the short term sacrifice of the band is to go deep sea fishing Sept. 17th. I go out of Gloucster Ma and usually come back with 35 lbs of Cod fillets. Last time I was out there was this past January - 0 degrees at the dock. I know alittle off topic but wanted to share.

Good luck to everyone

Hal

Hi. I have been on a self imposed high protein/low carb diet preband. My surgery had to be postponed so I have been living a longer term diet which clearly has to be more sustainable then one that is done for 1-2 weeks. Once sometimes twice a day I substitue a meal with a Protein shake. The important thing to remember is the quality of the Protein, calories, fat and carbs. When looking at whey protein look for one that has as high a percentage of Isolates as possible. This is a purer form of protein and easier for your body to digest. Personally I have found Gold Standard sold at Vitamin Shoppe to be a good value. GNC has a variety of products but they are more expensive. I would try to stay within the following ranges per serving Protein 25-30g, Calories 110-140, Carbs 1-4, Fat 1-4.

I make shakes with 2 frozen milk cubes, 2 frozen fuit flavored Water cubes (Product contains splendra), 2/3 cup milk. The cubes give the shake a thicker creamier texture. Other possible add ins: suger free/fat free instant pudding, davinci suger free syrups, diet orange/rootbeer ice cubes. I use a Personal blender made by Hamilton Beech (15 bucks at Walmart/Kmart). Total Calories about 220-250.

One thought I had for you was I would be less concerned eating fruit in moderation. Would I choose an apple or orange over pineapple, yes. My opinion (though I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV) is that Fruit and Veggies that contain high carbs are a whole differnt ball of wax than carbs from donuts (mmmmm donuts), Bagels (low fat high in carbs), or bread.

Also, personally I have naturaly high cholesterol. I would not eat a high fat Atkins diet even short term. My most common meal to eat out is breakfast/brunch. Order egg beaters or egg whites (No cheese)

start my preop on the 5th...dr said low carb under 30 for the day, 75gm protein......2 Meal Replacements w/the shakes(protein drinks) and then i can do the soup(no creamy) for the 3rd meal......sf jello/popsicles ok.....

I did a high Protein, low carb before my band. The real purpose if this is to burn off the fat and glycogen stores in your liver because you liver is laying across you stomach and they have to lift it to get the band on. We obese people store a lot of fat and glycogen in our livers making band placement difficult. You burn more fat and glycogen on high protein, low carb.

The thing to remember is that if you go low carb, you will suffer from carb withdrawal for the first 3-4 days. It causes hunger, grumpy mood, headaches. It can be pretty miserable. On day 4 most people start to feel better and your hunger goes away, making the rest of the preop pretty easy.

I did it for 4 weeks before surgery and lost 23 pounds. I also felt I was truly ready for surgery and prepared for a lot less food post-op. My surg said my surgery was a textbook case and was done in 20 minutes.

I was not really hungry after surgery for over 4 weeks. I still try to keep my carb count low, 40-60 per day, to help control appetite.

On my pre-op diet I had a Protein Powder and unsweetened soy milk shake (added Crystal Light for flavor) for Breakfast and lunch, and lean meats with no breading like chicken breast, fish, diet lean burger, shrimp, tuna, etc for dinner with low carb veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, peppers, green Beans, salad veggies, celery, etc) cooked or raw. I ate as much lean meat and salad as I needed to be full. I added SF Jello and SF popsicles. I avoided a lot of the fatty selections and extra fats (full fat cheese, sour cream, butter, high fat salad dressings) so I figure my diet was a modified Atkins Diet.

This really worked for me. I hope you can lose what your doc wants before your surgery. You will feel better, better about yourself, and it gets you in the right mindset for the after surgery journey.

Good luck to you!

:)

Ugg......two days into the meat eating fest and I am sick of it! All I want is a cupcake! It seems like I am eating nothing but meats and cheese and a ton of sodium! Somehow lost 5 pounds in two days. I am struggling with this one. I just don't believe in cutting out carbs. Must stay on track. Just 20 more days to go.

By day 4 you will feel better and not be craving so much. It is hard the first few days.

Good luck and good luck with your surgery!:thumbup: