Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI too low (posted on intro as well)

Guest kellyhutch

Guest kellyhutch

Hi, I am Kelly and in Knoxville, TN. I am new to researching the lap band and had a few questions. The first doctor to respond to my questions said my BMI was too low (36.8) and I would not qualify without other health issues. Can anyone tell me what the other issues are? I have chronic lower back pain that is made much worse by my weight (I am 5'4" and 212) This is personal, but it hurts to sit down to use the restroom on most days :-( I do have pretty high cholesteral, but my bood pressure is actually quite good. For the first time, I am not so happy about my general good health. I feel safe here because I think I can say this without being mis-understood. I really have tried almost every weight loss plan out there and they don't work, even with exercsise. I get so tired of people giving such helpful advice as "just don't eat" or "if you would just get off the couch" YIKES!! Any input from you more experienced folks would be really comforting. Hope your holiday was peaceful.

Kelly in TN

If your trying to get insurance to cover the surgery, I don't think you will have much luck with your BMI. If you're willing to pay for it yourself I think most Dr. will do the surgery with your BMI.

I had a 39 bmi and i had acid reflux and diebetes runs in my family. My insurance almost covered it 100%. I was 215 the day of my surgery. It wouldn't hurt to try to get your insurance to cover it.

My bmi was 37.1. I have high BP, high cholesterol, deteorating disc disease, arthritis in the knees and spine.

I just made it. Oy.

Kellyhutch, usually two other health issues ("co-morbidities") will allow a carrier to classify bariatric surgery as medically necessary for those with a BMI of between 35 and 40. Joint or back pain is definitely one of them, especially if it seriuosly curtails your activity. Hypercholestemia (high cholesterol) is another, and if there is any family history of high blood pressure or diabetes that would be considered yet another. Your doctor can help in putting this all together. Good luck!

My BMI is 35 and I was covered. Diabetic,back problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.I got turned down the first time. Appeal Appeal Appeal

Guest KATHLEENONEIL

I am 5'4" and weighed 240 at the consult. My BMI was 40.00. I had arthritis, hx of diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. My primary care dr. wrote the letter for the insurance company just in case the co. gave us any trouble. They payed 4,000 on a 24,000 bill and wrote off the rest. I am very happy with the surgery. I live near Nashville

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches