Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just How Aggressive Should We Be with Our Dr.

I've been reading post after post after post, and hearing a variety of instructions, rules, and fill information. My mind is swirling from it all. And in the midst of this chaotic stream of consciousness (information) I find a diamond in the rough. Someone posted that they were banded a week after me, and had already had two fills, and was scheduled for the third in just a few weeks. This person had also suggested being more aggressive with the fills. Well I thought I just had to follow my Docs orders. He told me to come back in two months, I just assumed I'd HAVE to see him in July. But now, I'm re-thinking this strategy because of the variation in information. So, my question is, just how long should I wait to request a fill, if I'm hungry and not feeling restriction? At this point I'm afraid I've waited too long, and should have made the appointment two weeks after I realized that I could eat anything freely.

What are others doing? Do you ignore your doctors schedule and make your own if things aren't working out right? What's the best protocol to follow with your doctor and getting fills. How long should you wait to see if there are any changes in your body?

At first I thought it was supposed to be a very gradual inflation of the band, so I shouldn't feel anything til the 3rd or 4th fill, but do I really have to wait 6 months before I hit the sweet spot, because at the rate my doctor is going, he thinks I should have a fill every 2 months.

Sigh! Any advice for a Realize bander? :(

After the first fill, my doctor recommends coming in every 2-6 weeks. I have had some fills closer together and some further apart (you can see the dates in my siggy). Now I think I'm at my sweet spot so even though I'm a month since my last fill, I'm not really even thinking about going in anytime soon.

Even if your doctor says 2 months between fills, I'd give them a call. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask and I'm sure you will not be the first one to ask for a fill sooner.

By the way, my doctor's criteria for determining if you need a fill is if you can be satisfied on three meals per day (no snacking) without being hungry in between. If you are hungry or snacking between meals, then you need a fill.

My doctor also suggests 4-6 weeks between fills. They also ask if I am getting hungry between meals and if so I probably needed more of a fill. However, I was SOOO tight I was having problems and I was still thinking I was hungry between meals. It was all head hunger though and then I realized I wasn't able to eat enough at meals to stay full so then it was no longer head hunger but actual hunger and I had to actually let me band out some. So all I can say is follow what YOU think is best for you because each person is so different.

Aggressive isnt really the right word - assertive is more what you mean I think? If you feel you need a fill for example, then its within your rights to insist and any doctor that really wont listen is perhaps not worth seeing - as long as what you're suggesting is reasonable. There's plenty of people that just want TIGHT as quick as possible and its really not healthy or sensible, in which case any good doctor will counsel against it.

This is just my unprofessional opinion but I think getting too tight too soon leads to problems. I think the band needs to settle in its place before we start filling it. Plus with each fill I had to learn to be more compliant of the eating rules.

I had my first fill at 8 weeks and then waited at least 3 weeks between each one. I get tighter about 10 days after a fill. I would talk to my Dr and see, but once again he may be basing his fill schedule on what he thinks brings the best success in the long run, which is what we should be concerned with as well.

My doc does them every 6 wks, sooner if absolutely necessary. I have to drive 3 hrs ea way to get there - so I'm happy they aren't every 2 wks. I've had 4 fills in 8 mths. This last time, I lasted 12 wks instead of 6 because I was feeling good and losing. I have an appt with dr on the 23rd and gunna ask him for another fill. I've loosened up big time over the past few weeks,

Good luck to you!

Marci

I had my first fill at about 5 weeks post-op. I could return every 2 weeks if I felt I needed more restriction. However, I noticed that the closer I got to restriction, the longer it took to "kick in". My fills now take about 3 weeks to completely kick in - so I suggest after the first couple of times to get fills after 4 weeks to make sure you feel the full restriction of your last fill. But that being said, it is different for everyone with some feeling total restriction right away.

I wouldn't be too concerned at first about getting fills quickly. Let your band heal completely first and then concentrate on getting your fills. Just realize that everybody's body does not react the same and you will have to find out how yours handles fills.

Error on the side of caution...

I got my first fill 4 weeks after surgery and then every two weeks until I hit my sweet spot. That's just the way my doctor is...I did start with an empty band due to complications and when I went for my fill I asked for an "aggressive" one because my band was empty. He did give it to me....That may be where you read "aggressive". But keep in mind, I was empty. If you are hungry and it's been 4 weeks I would at least call and see if he will start the fill process. Best wishes!

I'm in the moderate camp. I go for my fills every 4 weeks on the dot. I am having my fifth fill in two days. I plan on keeping this pace until there is a reason not to.

I had an empty band at surgery, and got my first fill 5 weeks post-op. My doctor would have done 4 weeks but I had a scheduling conflict. I have not felt any restriction so far until this last fill (#4, 6ccs in my 10cc band), where I got to flirt with the idea! :thumbup: I'm glad I have 4 weeks between fills to relearn, readjust and reevaluate.

I believe that if you try to get your fills done quicker, you're not getting an accurate representation of your level of restriction. You may think you're too loose, and get another fill, when really it hasn't kicked in yet.

My vote is always to sneak up on your sweet spot. Don't overshoot it - I'd like to vomit as little as possible on my journey. :unsure:

Edited by sawyer77
added more detail

Thanks everyone for your posts. I've realized that I need to be more assertive along my journey and in this process with my doctor. I'll need to ask more questions and listen to my body sooner rather than later. I know we're all different and that helps. I think my error was that I listened to the doctor and didn't contact him when I became concerned. I started to internatlize my perceived failure and believed that as usual, this weightloss program was not going to work for me. Fortunately I can come here and get good sound advice to work better with my surgeon.

Thanks again everyone. I'm hopeful again and I appreciate every single comment. I'll give you all updates on the success of the second fill.