Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Your Family Losing Weight Since You've Been Banded?

I'm very curious about how everyone's family is reacting to our weight loss? If you have been banded for at least 1 year and you have lost a good amount of weight -- have you seen any changes in your kids weight? If so --do you know why?

Well, I wouldnt think this would be common unless your kids were very overweight in the first place, I mean, my kids were 2, 7 and 9 when I got banded so they are growing! I'd be very alarmed if any of them actually lodst weight, as they're physically active and normal weight.

I guess what you're really looking for is has their diet improved, and the case is probably no here but it didnt really need to, although like everyone they probably eat a little too much processed snack foods. You just have limited input into childrens' diets these days, dont you? So many other factors and influences, they eat away from home so much etc and I always did focus on feeding my family well, it was the crap I snuck in around that that did me the damage, and I didnt feed my kids that rubbish. Our core family diet has always been healthy - I cook from scratch using fresh ingredients, buy organic etc. We dont ever have soft drinks like Coke, and my kids dont consume a lot of liquid calories like juice, milkshakes, flavoured milk, cordial etc. You get Water or skim milk here, lol.

The main problem I've found is that I chronically underfeed my kids and predispose them to snacking by failing to give them enough to eat! My cooking has graduated to accommodate the foods DH and I like best (he's banded too) and my idea of a normal sized meal is kind of small, so I tend to give my growing teenage boys a small meal off a salad plate and then yell at them when they're prowling for food an hour later. They do well when I swerve them what I consider a mountain of healthy food.< /p>

Hi Jachut-

Thanks for the response. You gave a really interesting answer and made some good points. One of the reasons I asked the question is because in the U.S. we are seeing very serious childhood obesity problems. Are you seeing that in Australia too? True -- your kids are young and you're right about having less control over what they eat as they get older. But we are also seeing overweight young children -- and then it gets worse as they get older. In some cases the family eat healthy (like yours) but in other cases it begins with what they eat at home and then it gets worse as they are teens. I was just wondering what is happening for kids when their parents have lost a lot of weight and make big changes in what they eat. I wonder if the banded mothers (like you) become more conscious of what the kids are eating - or are more likely to notice weight and eating habits in their kids. I see your husband also got banded so now both of your kids parents have lost a lot. I just wonder if and how parental weight loss and change of diet (even activity level) impacts kids or the family in any way.

My "kids" are adults now so your question doesn't apply to them.

However; my DH has lost 12 pounds!!:thumbup:

My DH actually gets more food now! We split everything; chicken breasts, yams, fish, everything...and now that I eat less...he gets more. But he has always been skinny and never gains any weight. Bests wishes...

I only have one child at home - my 15year old son. No his weight hasn't changed in any noticeable way apart from what you would expect from him growing. He eats like a horse and does not have a weight problem.This is probably due to all the exercise he does. Horseriding, Aussie Rules football 3 x per week etc.

Our family still eat the same foods as we have always eaten. The only difference now is that I eat smaller portions. In fact if anything my husband and son should be gaining weight as they often eat what I can't finish - especially when eating out!

We have always eaten a well balanced diet. I also cook from scratch and only use convenience foods occassionally.The main difference is that I don't buy all the snack food that I used to buy before.I used to go through numerous packets of biscuits(cookies) in a week.

My son's diet is fairly well balanced - well balanced between healthy foods and fun foods!

His normal daily diet would consist of something like.

Breakfast. Cornflakes or weetbix + crumpet

lunch at school. 2 rounds of sandwiches with meat/cheese/salad veg, apple, packet of crisps

Afternoon snack. More cornflakes!

dinner Meat/chicken + carb + veg. Usually has seconds!

Evening. Yogurt.

drinks would be Water, cordial, fruit juice(I try to restrict this), tea or coffee.

Sometimes he will have a chocolate bar as well.

he may have a problem when he gets older especially if he stops exercising. But for now he is fine.

My kids are still young (5 and 7)and growing, I've maintained their diet the same. But my husband has been eating way more, he eats all my leftovers... thank God he doesn't have a weight problem :tongue2:

My sister is the same size as I used to be, we do not live in the same household but since losing almost 100 pounds I have encouraged her to start eating right and exercising just by her watching my progress. My DB (dear boyfriend) eats everything I don't, well so does my dog, he has gained a little tiny bit but he is starting to work out more and is getting back into shape. My dog actually workouts out with me, we either run/walk play fetch so she is slim and trim still =) I like that the people around me are following my lead it helps me to keep my own journey in line.

elcee--

LOL! Now that'S what I call a growing boy! I know what you mean about how much boys eat at that age but I do think that they seem to need a lot of calories with all the growing and activity at that age. I wonder if Aussie is just doing a lot better with child/teen obesity than the U.S. We have a serious problem in the U.S. -- especially with lower income families. Our children are developing some very serious medical problems. So far it sounds like --you, Juchut and rafa have strong histories of healthy family cooking/serving.

Loving Everyday -- Thanks for your thoughtful response. I don't want to put any words in your mouth (sos to speak!!) but it sounds like you might be seeing see some changes in awareness and behavior in your loved ones because of the changes in YOU. It does make sense -- doesn't it? And I just think that this is a very interesting question because it's about the people we love and their health.

How about other people? ARE YOU SEEING ANY SIGN THAT YOUR CHANGE IN WEIGHT OR CHANGE IN EATING IS HAVING SOME KIND OF IMPACT (FOR BETTER OR WORSE) ON YOU FAMILY?

Edited by Desdemona

We have a huge child obesity problem in Australia too - my kids are healthy weight but all topping their healthy weight range and that's despite a healthy diet and all the sport they play. So they all think they're a bit chubby because they're not that gangly skin and bones that a lot of kids are.

Where I think Australia and the US differ is that whilst Australia has every bit as huge levels of obesity (in fact I think we actally outstripped the US percentage wise a year or two back), ours seems to be more overweight, just obese levels. Everyone you look at is carrying a little extra, but those really large 300lb plus people are fairly few and far between. Its just not so common to see anyone REALLy fat.

We dont quite have the same disconnection from food in its natural state here YET. I dont know many Australians that would consider eating a Lean Cuisine every day a healthy option for example. We dont have everything in a can either. But its conming, and the weight will follow.