Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my first possible fill set for June 2nd. I was banded on 4/29. I am curious as to excatley what happens when you get a fill and what I can expect to feel?:)

Some doctors do a fill while you swallow barium- that way they can see how much restriction you have by how fast the barium goes through. Mine doesn't do that. He bases the amount of fill on what I tell him- as far as how hungry I am et... It's easy- he injects a local and then uses a long needle to access the port. I don't even feel the big needle (although it was a shock the first time I saw it). Afterwards, he always has me drink Water to make sure that goes down fine. Congrats on your surgery, I'm sure your fill will go just fine.

I was banded 3/5 and had my first fill a few weeks prior. I was also quite nervous, but it was quite easy. My MD did not use a local anesthesia. I did not look at the needle, so I don't know how big it was, but it did not hurt at all. It took him a little bit to get access to the port, but it was done before I even realized it. It was an odd feeling for a minute or two. I drank some Water and that was it. I was on Clear Liquids for 3 meals after the fill - one meal of mushies then onto a regular diet. I wish that I had some restriction post first fill, but it is ok - I am one step closer. Second fill is tomorrow - I cannot wait. Good Luck!

I had my first fill this last Tuesday. I was nervous, but it was nothing. He had me lie on my back, located my port with his fingers, told me to expect a little stick and it was less than a blood drawn. No anethesia - not necessary. Took less than 3 seconds. One drop of blood on the band aid.

I had liquids for 24 hours and soft food for a couple days. I am now feeling some restriction.

Very easy procedure!

It's really nothing but a slightly annoying injection that lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds.

Don't stress!! The more relaxed you are the easier it is.

I watched a couple of fill videos on Youtube to get an idea of what to expect. Just type in LAP-BAND® fill. There are also videos of the actual LAP-BAND® surgery there as well.

I was kind of nervous my first fill too - however, it's so easy!!! My doc locates my port, numbs me with spray and inserts the needle and saline...3 minutes tops!

My first fill was done with fluoro - so he could see everything's placement. My last 2 fills have just been done lying down. Not much difference - I just have to take a sip of Water before I leave to make sure liquids are going down.

You'll be fine and lots of luck to you on your journey!

I've had three fills and go for my fourth in four days. My doctor has me on the table, I have to do a crunch while he circles the port with a pen for a guide, inserts the needle (no numbing -- I'm getting a needle either way) and inserts the saline.

My port is a little tilted, so my third fill was a little more involved than the first two, but I'll remember to tell him this Thursday for my fill that my port is tilted.

I'm so ready to keep the fills moving because I feel nothing resembling restriction. Though, I did have a hard time eating rice yesterday. Very exciting! Heh. Every time I go for a fill, I make my next appointment on the spot, four weeks to the minute! :)

My doctor uses fluoroscopy during a fill. I don't see any responses that describe this, so I'll tell you how it goes for me. (It is very simple and quick.)

I stand against a wall next to the flouroscopy machine. The doctor locates my port, cleans it with an alcohol swab, and inserts the needle. He injects a small amount of Fluid, then rests the syringe against my abdomen (it hangs from the needle by a small length of tubing).

He has me swallow a mouthful of barium, and observes its movement through the band. Then he returns, injects a little more, and we repeat. This continues until I get to the right level of fill.

Then, out comes the needle, on goes a bandaid, and it's all done.

It's really no biggie at all.

H

Thanks for the info. I am not afraid of needles, but hope mine is not done under flurocscopy since I can't tolerate the barium.:)