Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long did it take you to notice a big difference?

I"m just curious how long it took people in general and on an average to start noticing a big difference in their bodies? I'm 10 1/2 weeks post op and I'm doing really well, but I feel like my belly fat is gonna be the most stubborn part of my body because it's where I carry the most weight. Some people who don't even konw I've had the surgery say I've lost, but I know what I see without my clothes on! Just curious, so pls pls don't bash me for asking because I really am happy with my progress, just super anxious to see the bigger picture! thanks anyone/everyone =)

My surgery was Feb. 8th, I've lost 41 pounds and haven't changed a size! Like you, my problem area is my stomach and while my jeans are definitely looser and fit better right after the dryer...still not ready for a size down. I do have people notice - it's mostly people telling me that my face looks thinner and my upper body looks thinner.

However - even though I can't tell a big difference, appearance wise...we took the kids to Kings Island (amusement park in Cint.) and walking around was soooo much easier. It wasn't a stress on my knees and my ankle (I broke my leg 4 years ago) didn't get a bit puffy! So, definitely progress. I can't even imagine how awesome NEXT summer will be!

Good luck! We will get there - it's just a slow moving train. :confused:

I'm down about 44 pounds, and am just now noticing a difference. Others noticed earlier, but I'm slow on the uptake.

I have been recording measurements each month on fitday. That has helped when I haven't had things like dropping clothing sizes to cheer me on. The inches add up, even if they're not coming off of places that are ordinarily hugged by, say, jeans.

(I learned this in a lovely way this morning, when a three-strand pearl necklace I was given--and was sure would not fit around my fat neck---fit beautifully.)

I think 60 pounds,,, this is when I really noticed a big difference....

I had a BMI of 36 when I started, so I thought I'd see results quicky, but I didnt. I'd always complained that when you're fat, you can work really hard and lose 20lb and nobody notices a thing. Well, I had to lose about 40 lb to even go down a dress size, and it was a good 50 (half my weight loss) before I began to look less fat and bloated.

All the cosmetic gain came in the last 30lb or so, before that, i was smaller but still fat. Then suddenly my face and body begain to change really quickly, and now, if I lose a pound or two, people sometimes comment. I was looking pretty good by the time I got to a

BMI of 25, but getting down those last couple of points made the real difference.

Thanks for the help guys, I just keep thinking what if I'm stuck with this spare tire for forever?! If your like me in any way, you wanna exercise and help the progress, but even that is tiring after about 30 minutes of vigorous cardio. It's a vicious cycle of I'd work out but it's uncomfortable, but if I weren't so heavy it would go alot better......I appreciate the insight though for sure! My heaviest I was 255 lbs and then the day of my procedure 238-240 Today, I'm 212-213 lbs.....significant loss, but just eager for the show! I'm alot like you MsCabes, things are easier and things fit better and people say all the time I'm smaller in my face and upper body---you're right, we WILL get there! Keep me posted on your progress!

I feel your pain and have been taking monthly measurements and pictures. This past month, that depressed me! It showed I had lost 2.5" off my waist (happy about that) but almost 5" off my chest! I'm terrified I'll end up flat chested but with stomach rolls.

I noticed a difference when I started working out regularly. It seems like when it switches you can really tell. One morning I woke up I saw results and it got better and better from there.

After 20 lbs I noticed a difference. People could tell I was losing especially since my face was getting smaller. I went from a size 18 to a 16. Some 16s are lose and I'm not ready for 14s yet. I think when I get to 200 lbs I will fit into my size 14 jeans. I stalled up until I got my first fill which was last Thursday and being on liquids and mushies has jumpt started me again. For about 4 weeks I did not lose any weight at all.

I saw a drop in a pants size around every 20 lbs or so. I started at a tight 26/28 and I now wear a 14/16. I was in a LB right fit blue 6T jeans and now wear a 1T and they are loose. My school t-shirt started as an adult 3x and now I wear a L. I am at that weird in between stage now where plus sizes are usually too big, but misses shirts are usually too tight in the chest and pants are tight on the behind but big in the waist. I guess I need to lose another 10-20 lbs before I am truly in a misses.:confused:

As far as really realizing that I am smaller, my brain doesn't really register it. I have to compare pictures to see it. THAT is how messed up my body image is.:sad:

The 1st time I put my uniform on for work my 1st day back after surgery. I was 2wks post-op and down about 20-somthing lbs....AWSOME!!! :confused:

If your like me in any way, you wanna exercise and help the progress, but even that is tiring after about 30 minutes of vigorous cardio. It's a vicious cycle of I'd work out but it's uncomfortable, but if I weren't so heavy it would go alot better....
Even thin people who are deconditioned struggled to get into their exercise regimens. Exercise is hard work, and when your body---whatever its size---is not used to it, it can be uncomfortable. Don't use the I'm-too-big excuse. Get into a good groove now, and it will help you a thousandfold in terms of not only getting to goal, but also your outlook and beliefs about your own abilities.