Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving..Food Network....Excitment

Does the title tell you anything. This is my first banded Thanksgiving and I have a plan. I normally cook for Thanksgiving but I wasn't going to this year so I don't hurt myself...pb...pb...pb. Anyhow, watching the food Network channel has gotten me excited again so I am going to cook. I think I really like cooking. I don't think I LOVE cooking but I know I reallly like it. I really like to prepare fast meals like 30 minute meals or 1 pot meals.

My menu

Turkey (which I will probably enjoy once I make turkey salad or soup)

Mac/Cheese (prepared with low fat cheeses)

Mashed Potato (becuase it is Thanksgiving)

Greens (because it is the freshest vegetable I can think of)

Stuffing (out of habit because my mom and dad use to fix the best)

Cranberry Sauce (ewww my daughter likes it)

Rolls (just because they are soft and I can put them in gravy)

Pie/Ice Cream (because it goes down easy LOL)

I can't wait....someone remind me to put my turkey out of the freezer on Sunday please....he is hard as a rock.

Looks like a good menu to me, although, I'd like to try something a little out of the ordinary this year. We're all taking a dish to my son's house, I got stuck with the turkey, so I'm taking it to a local BBQ restaurant that makes their own BBQ and having them cook it. (last time I cooked one in the microwave I had the biggest mess).

Turkey is rather dry even when juicy and I don't want to get stuck. That BBQ turkey sounds wonderful.

Harley who put a turkey in the microwave.....microwave mama?

Well it was worth a try, LMAO. It probably wouldn't have been so juicy if I'd taken that little bag out that was stored on the inside of it. Chit went everywhere.

LMBO that is too funny, I've heard of people leaving that stuff inside before. I guess it was worth a try. I bet you could do a whole microwave cookbook. What is your best potato microwave dish?

I wouldn't have thought to take the turkey to a BBQ restaurant for cooking - sounds yummy. Better than microwave turkey anyways... :D

I'm cooking the traditional dinner for my husband's family for the first time, and I'm nervous. I have back up gravy in the pantry in case I mess it up. They believe a holiday dinner should have tons to choose from. I'll never forget the first barbecue I ever went to at my mother-in-law's house when DH and I were dating years ago. His mom served pork steaks, chicken legs, ham steaks, and hamburgers. Plus, a vat of potato salad and a bunch of other side dishes. There were only 4 of us. If you haven't guessed, my mother-in-law has a weight problem.

Anyways, now I feel like I should have 15 side dishes and 5 Desserts... I don't want to disappoint them. Fortunately, I'll probably be too busy to eat. :(

LOL Anwyn I have a weight problem also. This is why I had to create a menu and I will also scale down how much I prepare. I have prepared half a box of macaroni and that helps but for Thanksgiving I will make the whole box and freeze half so it won't be so easily accessible.

Oh yeah you said a vat of potato salad, I guess since you said it I will have to put that on my menu....LOL... of course only about 3 potatoes.

Oh no, I'm not making potato salad for Thanksgiving, that was a barbecue. I'm making:

turkey

stuffing

mashed potatoes

gravy

sweet potatoes (sister-in-law is bringing)

green bean casserole

deviled eggs

corn

cranberry sauce

rolls

cheese and crackers

pumpkin cheesecake

chocolate mint bars

snickerdoodles

cherry/raspberry pie

lemon curds

Gosh, do you think that's enough food? My turkey is only 23 lbs. (lol)

I have a weight problem too... I can't "wait" until Thanksgiving is over. I'm gonna gain 5 lbs. :D

Anne, what time is dinner? LOL

I would love to go out to eat but if we did that my DH would cry. One year I had to work the day b/4 thanksgiving so I had no time to cook anything. I ordered a turkey dinner with all the trimmings from our local grocery store (shop rite). We put it on the table and everyone almost died. My DH had tears in his eyes. We wound up throwing the entire meal in the garbage, it was that gross. DH told me that from now on I am to take the day b/4 thanksgiving off even w/out pay LOL. That saturday I made an entire dinner and you'd think he found gold, the man was happier than a pig in you know what. LOL!!

Its the usual for us this year.

Turkey

Stuffing (just bread stuffing this year not potato stuffing...to much work)

Mashed potatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Cauliflower

Cranberries (both jelly and whole)

Mushroom Gravy

pumpkin Pie

And some other pie or cake, not sure...but chocolate :)

That saturday I made an entire dinner and you'd think he found gold, the man was happier than a pig in you know what. LOL!!

NJ Chick you got me dying.

YUMMMMM Turkey!!!! I cant wait... Ohhhhh and Im getting a fill tomorrow 1 week before turkey day and i hope I can eat! Anyway got blues from dry turkey??? here is an idea... lift the skin of the turkey were you are able to stick your whole hand in there.. get butter and massage your turkey down.. really rub it in.. put lots of butter.. (hey its thanksgiving we can go off the rocker a bit) that will help keep it really moist.. I have never made a dry turkey!

My sister is having Thanksgiving this year so everyone brings the "Sides" Me so far I know im bringing the Red Chili... (Im in NM theres not a dinner without chili)

Im so excited...

Eileen.. I would of cried too... hehehe

Hey, the only GOOD thing about getting denied for insurance again is that I get to pig out on Thanksgiving one more time...

DH is on Turkey patrol - and I will probably have to help. Very scaled down this year because we will be in in Tucson with the M&P (what DH calls my mother and father - mom & pop)

Turkey

Stuffing

olives

mashed potatoes

gravy

pie.

That's the required stuff.

:]

NJChick, dinner is at 2. Bring the chocolate cake. :)

ReneBean, I forgot to list the olives! We ALWAYS have olives at any family dinner. My in-laws won't eat any of them, but it doesn't seem like a holiday meal without them. Anyone have a good recipe for cranberry sauce? I'm making it for my MIL, but I've never done it before.