Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trouble coming out of the anesthesia????

Hi _ i have been seeing some of you all saying you had

trouble coming out of the anesthesia......why does this happen....I am now very nervous and scared about going under...Is this stupid of me, am I just being parnoid:blushing: I am alone thinking this way?

Don't stress too much about it! Everyone reacts differently. Personally, I had never been completely out like that, and did have a harder time staying awake after I woke up initially. The nurses kept talking to me, and making me talk. Finally they just decided to get me back to the hotel so I could sleep it off. Sometimes people just need to sleep after. But if you don't come out very easy, be sure that the people around you are trained to take care of any problems that arise!!! You will be alright. If you are uncomfortable, see if your Dr can recommend someone to talk to about the anesthesia. I am sure that your Dr would rather have you calm and comfortable at your surgery than stressed and upset. Good luck!

Thanks Marie - I have never had issues before with coming out of it - bust after reading some things I just got nervous!

I didn't have any trouble waking up - He said my name twice, I started coughing and was awake. A little groggy but awake.

The only trouble was that they make you move from one stretcher to another when you're more than half way drugged. :thumbup:

Just had surgery this morning and I did not have any trouble waking up. I don't remember waking up in the O.R. just remember them telling me to think of a sweet dream and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I woke right up, and was in some pain, and asked for meds, but they wanted me to be able to stand and do the barium swallow first. That just took a few minutes, and then got the pain meds...I was sleepy then! I was motivated to get home so I stayed awake, got dressed, and was discharged. Slept on the way home and then took a 3 hour nap in my bed...ah, that was wonderful! Now, up, awake, and surfing the net.

But they are right, everyone reacts different. I watched a lady who came to recovery after me and she had a hard time staying awake and it took a long time before they could get her up for her barium swallow. She kept taking her oxygen off and saying off the wall stuff.

I had not had general anesthesia since I was 6 yrs old. So I didn't know what to expect.

I had a hard time staying awake, I couldn't focus and I was dizzy and the dizziness made me nauseous. I only vomitted twice. I also required oxygen because when I would sleep my oxygen saturation would drop. I also had some difficulty urinating at first.

But by 2 am I felt so much better. I got up and walked in the halls....my nurse about fell over with the change in me.

I felt stupid...I am a nurse and I wanted to be so in control, but I wasn't and I had to let that go. I was however ok enough to Facebook occasionally!

Inspite of the difficulty I never regretted my decision. I might just be one of those people who is very sensative to anesthesia. Don't let my or anyone elses story scare you. I can look back now and laugh at things I did and said.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi _ i have been seeing some of you all saying you had

trouble coming out of the anesthesia......why does this happen....I am now very nervous and scared about going under...Is this stupid of me, am I just being parnoid:blushing: I am alone thinking this way?

Everyone's body is different. I have to meet w/ the anesthesiologist to discuss some potential issues I might have, myself. I've never been under, but my sister has. She had some kind of kidney procedure--not even surgery--and she was supposed to wake up about 10 minutes after it was over.

10 hours later :confused: she finally comes out of it. They determined that she has a rare condition called atypical pseudocholinesterase deficiency:blink:. Basically, she is deficient in the enzyme that processes some anesthetics like succinylcholine. I have to see if I have it as well, since it's genetic. That's pretty much the only thing I'm worried about, though.

I had my surgery on Friday 5/7. They took me into the OR around 10:30am, I remember going into the OR, then a Dr said I am going to give you something to make you more comfortable, then it was lights out for me, lol next thing I remember is being in recovery and the nurses talking to me, I had a hard time staying awake, I couldn't focus and I was dizzy and the dizziness made me nausous.I barely could open my eyes, and the only thing I could get out was "I'm sick, I'm sick" they immediatly handed be a barf bag and told me they were pushing something into my IV for that, and it worked, the nausousness immediatly went away and I was out alseep again. Then the next thing I remember was waking up in my room, (I stayed overnight for a 23 hour observation per ins) and my nurse and family talking to me, I saw the clock and it was almost 1:30, I had been asleep for about 3 hours. But I was ok, I did not have any oxygen on or anything like that, I had an IV pushing fluids and a morphine pump that I controlled :lol: I was more than happy to stay the night, I could not imagine getting up and going home at that moment, since all I wanted to do was sleep. My mouth was terribly dry and my throat hurt, that was my constant complaint while in the hospital, and still today my mouth is dry, I sip on Water constantly. On Saturday as the hours went on my head began to clear, it just got better and better. I think it was about 5pm when I felt like I needed to pee, the nurse came to help but I walked on my own to the bathroom and was able to pee, so the nurse was happy about that. I began passing gas on Sunday evening, but still no BM. Maybe today? I will try a Protein Shake today. As you can see from all our stories we are all different, we handle anesthesia differently, I was terribly sleepy, but I was never scared. Good luck to you, you will be fine! :biggrin:

Thanks all - I to have to stay over nigth -which is fine with me! I am just nervous and I have been under 5 times before and no problem, so I am hoping I will be ok this time as well! Good Luck to all of you with your weight loss, I am very excited - only 9 more days!!!

You are definitely not alone when it comes to anesthesia and being scared. It is the only thing about surgery that I am afraid of and I work in an OR. It does effect everyone differently and each time you are put under, you can react differently. Just be honest with your CRNA when he or she comes to interview you before surgery. Best of luck!!