Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you ABSOLUTELY need post-op?

What are the things you needed on surgery day and post-surgery to make your life easier and make you comfortable? I'm trying to prepare by freezing some broths/soups and was just wondering what else I should be putting in my aresenal to make sure everything goes as smoothly/comfortably/successfully as possible. Please include it all from your favorite cup to lip gloss, heating pad etc. :thumbup:

Thank you guys so much!!

Definitely lip balm -- and I really wish I had had a heating pad for my shoulder! I also brought all of my favorite toiletries, my pre-op journal (with my pro/con list, to read in case I had any second thoughts) and a cute nightgown to wear after the surgery.

If you check out the beginning of my blog, you will see what I posted (photos, etc.) from that time. Also, that is great about you making and freezing Soups for post-op! Smart thinking. :thumbup: I wound up doing that a lot post-op, and I posted a few of my favorite Soup recipes, in case you're looking for some new ones. :smile:

I had my surgery in Mexico, and my mother came down with me, so I recovered in the hotel for 2 days before heading home. I was wishing I would have brought Scrabble with me and something to crush the pain medication with. Ultimately, we bought a cheap hammer at the store where we got Scrabble and used it! Worked just fine. :tt1:

Best wishes for your success!! You have so much to look forward to! Be sure to take your measurements and before photos if you haven't already!

Catherine

I haven't had my surgery yet (hoping for early June) but from reading and taking notes, I've heard that "gas x strips" help with the gas pain. AND... for the ride home.. to cushion the seat belt, a nice soft pillow to put between you and the seat belt! A must if you have a decent ride home!

Best of luck to you!

Tracy

Really, the only must-haves were lip balm, a nice lotion (I felt so, so dry after surgery), and pain meds.

Comfy clothes that were easy to get on helped. So did bottled Water (easier for me to keep track of my intake that way) and sugar-free popsicles.

You are on the right track. Popsicles, YES!!!!, herbal tea, (Papaya tablets the next week) and keep on top of the medicines-ask for something for nausea if you are given narcotics- especially if you have a long drive home. Also, see what type of laxative they recommend or can prescribe. The meds can bind you up, better not to wait!

Good luck!

sugar free popsicles were my go to.

I could not have lived without my heating pad.

I also had liquid Tylenol on hand because I hate the way narcotics make me feel.

Agree completely on the herbal tea - it's so comforting and soothing to sip on and also helps to stay hydrated. chewable multi-vitamins, whey Protein Powder, Crystal Light, no sugar added clear juices, blended light yogurt, sodium free broth and sugar free Jello were also on my shopping list. Also, keep your walking shoes and comfortable clothes nearby and handy to take plenty of walks. It will definitely speed the healing process. Good luck.

...herbal tea...

I used ice packs the first couple days to help with the pain of the port. I agree with the sugar free popsicles...they are heaven when you can't or don't feel like eating anything.

I definitely needed a heating pad for the pain in my shoulders, liquid Tylenol for when I ran out of the Hydrocodone, and most importantly... chewable Gas X (in mint flavor). I was popping Gas X like crazy. I had a lot of gas pains in my stomach for about a week afterwards. Oh, and as far as showering, I would have loved to have had a loofah or brush on a stick sort of thing to wash myself so it didn't hurt so bad when I bent over. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions - keep them coming...my list making is on over-drive!!

Catherine - I LOVE your blog, I'm reading the entire thing!! The Soup recipes are fantastic...I'm a total foodie and LOVE to cook (and eat clearly which is why I'm here)...the recipes you have posted are great!

I'm getting more energized and excited now! Bring.It.On!! :thumbup:

I really was grateful for the abdominal band. It's like a giant ace bandage for the middle. I found the first day I was walking around holding myself in - very uncomfortable. After wearing it, it was so much easier to get up and down, bend over, etc.

Sharon

1. COMFY CLOTHES!!! Like loose fitting sports bras or those tanks with ''built in'' bras...i LIVED in my lose tube top (it was a 24....VERY lose) and XL yoga pants that i had cut to knee legnth...

2. LIQUID TYLENOL...most likely you won't need your pain meds..i NEVER used them, even in the hospital. The only med i got besides tylenol was some anti-nausea meds (it's all i wanted..i requested NO Rx meds unless i was in a lot of pain and asked for them after surgery).

They also make a PM version of liquid tylenol..obviously to ONLY use if you are not taking any narcotics

3. sugar free popsicles! And Luigi's Lemon Ice...oh so yummy...

4. ice packs

5. a big comfy pillow or body pillow...not very comfortable sleeping without it. When i finally was able to sleep laying down (i spent the first 3 days in a recliner), i kept a pillow slightly tucked under my right side, where my port is. I felt like gravity was pulling down on everything and once that pillow was there it was great support

GOODLUCK!!

I was most grateful for having slip on sneakers to wear after because bending made me ill... and when I got home a sugar free ice pop cause my throat hurt from the anesthesia tube... The ice pop was like heaven :thumbup:

Patience! Also some pain meds because I never thought it would hurt THAT BAD! Also through in some Gas-x. I was very lucky that I didn't have the bad gas pain that many describe. I did have gas, however, just not bad. :thumbup:

- A recliner-like place to sleep. Laying flat was too painful.

- The hospital sent me home with a refillable ice-pack, which really helped with the port-site pain.

- This is totally TMI, but stool softener. My doctor warned me that I might need it, and I SO did.