Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Mexico or not to Mexico that is the question!

I am new to this site. I have been contemplating having lapband surgery for over a year now. I never thought I would be able to have the surgery because my BMI is 31-32 depending on how hard I have been dieting. It is a constant struggle for me to maintain that BMI. I was 35 pounds heavier at one time so i know unless I am constantly struggling I could gain that plus more.

I watched an episode of Big Medicine where the doctor's sister had lap band done by when her BMI was relatively low. They commented that even they were startled at what a small person she was after she lost weight as they had always viewed her as just naturally fluffier. I believe she weighed about 175 or so at surgery time and was down to around 130. I started thinking if I had the money would a doctor be willing to do the surgery? Well now I have around 7k to devote to surgery and realize I still can't afford it in the USA but am TOTALLY freaked out by having it in Mexico because of the stigma of the health care there.

I have been reading everyone's posts and realize that I could actually and probably would have a great experience there, but fear is holding me back. I had some plastic surgery done at UCLA about 3 years ago and I remember how anxious I was the day I went in and they are a top rated hospital, I think my anxiety level once in Mexico would be horrific! I am going to keep researching so I can make an informed decision about Mexico or maybe hold off and put some more aside for having it in USA.

hi, i definitely recommend going to Mexicali, with Dr. Aceves. He and his staff are very reliable and professional. The service at the hospital is great. I haven't had any complications and my trip to Mexico was all well worth. If you need more information, please feel free to contact Nina, she's the patient coordinator and she'll answer all your possible questions. Goodluck and if you need any more help please feel free to ask as well. :thumbup:

I went there and am super happy!

I was worried at first too but once I made up my mind I did it!

I started with a low BMI & I had the same problems with eatting & diets....

Please email me if you need more info

redbonela@aol.com

I live in LA

Not to be the party pooper but I just want to advise you to Research the doctor you choose!! As with any surgeon in any country do not let one persons experience or opinion be the deciding factor. Understand that in a foriegn country there are diff regulations- many less strict than the US & in the case of complications you have no legal recourse. None! Before you go find a fill doctor who will be willing to do your follow up. Most doctors in the US will not & legally do not have to touch a foreign placed lap band system. It holds a lot of liability for them bc as you said there is a stigma about healthcare practices there that statistically do hold true for many patients. The band is useless if you can't get fills or if you have complications & no US doctor will take a chance on you. Do your research on the doctor the facility & patient outcomes & ensure that your insurance will cover complications should they arise- if not your remainder of 7k won't help much in the states. Due diligence is key! I've spoke to people with great results & horrible almost fatal results visiting mexico & columbia so do your homework! There's grreat doctors in other countries but sometimes you truly get what you pay for. Your health is not the best place to shop for a great price vs great quality of care. There's a good thread here someone started about people being paid to advertise certain doc's in mexico- check their profile if they only have a couple posts on the forum & all of them name drop more than seem genuine be wary! Best of luck!

Thank you for your replies and I agree that much more research is needed on my part before I decide to make a go of it or to hold off. I have read some posts regarding the pushing of certain doctors by coordinators etc. I will be wary of those.:scared2:

Thanks for your post my daughter was thinking of going to Mexico after having a no WLS clause in her insurance policy at her job. I told her I thought she would have a hard time finding a MD to do the fills, and without the fills there is no sense in having the surgery. I wonder where the people who do go to Mexico get there fills? We live in NJ so going back and forth to Mexico would be out of the question.

I believe that there are a lot of excellent Dr's in Mexico - just make sure you research lots before hand. Also I thought that there was a company called Fill Centres USA that will do fills regardless of where you had your surgery. I could be wrong as I live in Australia but that is the impression that I have got from reading the boards. If there is one close to you then that could be an option.

I used that link for the fill centers of USA. It looks like their are two within a couple hours of me. But i would also call them first to make sure they would indeed fill the band at the ones listed on that website. Also I am only 5 hours from Tijuana and I have no issues looking for a reason to hang out in San Diego/ Sea World etc hehe :smile::thumbup:

Elcee your BMI looks like it started around same area as mine. Congrats on your success.

I never thought I would be able to have the surgery because my BMI is 31-32 depending on how hard I have been dieting[/color]

From everything I've read, the lowest BMI they accept is about 35. But the gastric sleeve is for people with a lower BMI. maybe you should read into that?:thumbup:

Hello,

i went to Mexico April the 1st 2010. I was extremely scared to go but was determined to do it. My fears were for nothing i even went to Juarez. My experience was wonderful. the only problem i had was with the language, but i had a Spanish/english dictionary and everything was fine. The doctors and nurses were great they all explained everything they were doing in detail as they were doing it. The Dr. came in and checked on me like 6 or 7 times the two days i was there. I haven't had a fill- in yet but am scheduled with a doctor that is about 1 and 1/2 hours from me the end of May. I had no trouble finding a doctor. If you want to ask anymore questions please just email me. I hope this helps you. i know it is a tough decision but it is one that i am glad i made.

JudyDF, there is a Fill Centers USA location in New Jersey in Mount Laurel. Here is the link www.fillcentersusa.com

I am having my surgery 6/29/10 with Dr. Juan Antonio Lopaz Corvala at Hospital Angeles. I wanted to be in a full service hospital with an ICU and ER. Also, he is an Allergan proctor (he teaches doctors in the US and Europe to do the band). I researched THOROUGHLY before deciding on him and I am thrilled with my decision. Mind you, I had a gastric bypass 10 years ago, so this is a revision. It's a BOB (band over bypass) so its a little more expensive. I am paying $6500.00 but for someone who has never had WLS, I believe the price is $6000.00.

I have set up aftercare with a doctor 5 minutes from my house. When I spoke with him, he was VERY understanding of the situation with regard to my insurance excluding WLS and he agreed to do my fills and aftercare without hesitation. I would call around to different lap band surgeons, not everyone feels the same way. :thumbup:

I went to mexico for the lap-band and I couldn't be happier. I went with Dr. Ortiz from OCC....I also live in NY and I am getting my fills done in Paramus NJ which is about a 45 min drive for me.... OCC gave me a list of doctors in my area who would do fills.

I had an outstanding experience in Monterrey, MX with Dr. Rumbaut. You can see photos of the hospital and read about it at the very beginning of my blog. That said, your BMI seems awfully low for you to be getting banded.

Good luck with your decision. I wish you all the best.

Catherine

I was just looking up some doctors in USA during my research and I hit one of the links at the top of this forum for Dr. Owens at CCO. Here is a quote from the site "Dr. Owens is one of the most experienced Bariatric Surgeons in California having performed over 7,000 weight loss surgeries. He performs all surgeries using laparoscopic technique including patients with BMI's over 60. Over 500 lap bands placed.Patients with BMI's of 30-35 now considered."

Of course that would be self pay option only. From what I am reading there is a slightly higher rate of slippage but is certainly not any more dangerous for someone of a lower BMI.

I guess if I stopped the yo yo dieting and just said the heck with it I could be at a more desirable lap band weight? Wouldn't others wish they had done this long before they had higher BMI's and wasted the time probably being miserable and possibly added health issues on top of it? Just a thought. I was thin for 25 years of my life and the last 7 have been one diet after another and I hate being this weight and I feel like it could only get worse and probably will. It sucks to be the fat one in a family of thin women. I may not be "that big" but my BMI does have the word obese in it lol.

Catherine55 you look great btw!

I guess if I stopped the yo yo dieting and just said the heck with it I could be at a more desirable LAP-BAND® weight? Wouldn't others wish they had done this long before they had higher BMI's and wasted the time probably being miserable and possibly added health issues on top of it? Just a thought. I was thin for 25 years of my life and the last 7 have been one diet after another and I hate being this weight and I feel like it could only get worse and probably will. It sucks to be the fat one in a family of thin women. I may not be "that big" but my BMI does have the word obese in it lol.

I agree with you 100%. You are obese - that should be a good enough reason to be able to get banded. We all know whether we have a BMI of 31 or 41 that the situation is not going to improve. We are all at a stage where our weight is beyond our control and we cannot successfully lose it and keep it off. Why should you have to weight until your BMI is in the 40s and you have additional health problems.It is always better to sort a problem out earlier rather than later.

As pointed out earlier in this thread I had a similar starting BMI. I looked and felt disgusting. My weight was all around my stomach which is the unhealthiest place of all to carry it and I looked about 10 months pregnant.

I am now 10 months postop, I have a BMI well within the normal range and I no longer have high BP.

I say if you are able to get the surgery done then go for it. I have no regrets and would do it again in a flash.:thumbup: