Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To site starting my Journey..

Hi Welcome

We are in this together so you are not alone. I am finding this forum very helpful. What I am finding helpful is reading through the different postings plus have read all the blogs. I feel it gives me a better perspective. From attending my first support meeting last night along with everything that I have read the key strategy is strict compliance with everything especially the postop dietary regimen.

Good luck on Monday with your surgery. Stay optimistic with your journey.

Lydia

I'm probably looking at surgery date in late May or early June my surgeon told me when I met with him. So far I've done my NP, surgeon, psych eval, and have ultra sound of gall bladder and upper GI next Monday. My psych eval was today and the doctor who met with me had some really great ideas about modifying my eating/grazing prior to surgery so that the surgery isn't such a shock when I start that new way of eating. Now, instead of eating chips while I watch the news at 5, I'm to go in and get on my elliptical and watch the news. Just stuff like that. This is all getting pretty exciting and some days I'm scared to death and some days I feel bold and ready. Today is the latter. On these posts I read about SO MANY problems some people have, but I think I'm also beginning to understand a little bit, at least in my head, about how some of those problems can be avoided--you've all said it here: chew slowly, small bites, eat carbs last only, don't drink before/after. My surgeon himself does the fills. I think it's important to know beforehand who will actually be doing the fills. He doesn't do fills under flouroscopy, which I would actually prefer (while I still understand so little about all this). We'll wait and see about that.

Keep posting everyone, the good and the bad, I really need to know what I'm getting myself into here.

Thanks.:smile2:

Hi welcome to the site.

This is a very helpful forum for all us prospective banders. I have learned alot in the past four days that I have been posting here.

We are all in this together. My surgeon does the fill in the office too, unless there is an issue with them finding the post then the patient is sent to interventional radiology where under fluoroscopy, the port is filled. This is a rare occurrence that a patient is sent to interventional radiology.

Hello

Hope everyone had a great day today. I had a very busy day today running around to the different appointments.

My day started off with a visit to the lab for bloodwork. After the laboratory visit, I took a leisurely walk to the radiology office for the abdominal sonogram. By now my stomach is gurgling from hunger since the last time thing I ate was a Protein bar around 9p the night before. I had to be fasting for bloodwork plus for sonogram. I was hungry but I ignored it. After my test was completed, I went and had a large salad with minimal dressing (not a big fan of salad dressing), a diet coke and a baked potato. I walked to the pharmacy to buy some Calcitrate with D. It was a beautiful day today so I walked to all my visits since they were all in the area.

I went home for about two hours. At 3p I had my 1 on 1 nutrition consult. The nutritionist spent an hour with me discussing my diet history plus going through the entire postop dietary regimen as well as the maintenance phaseonce I reach there. At first, it appears overwhelming but as I listened and asked questions, it got clearer. I find the most intense of the diet regimen is the first two weeks of liquids. The puree food I won't mind but it is that liquid phase that we all dread. It is very doable. Tonight as I was having a cup of coffee, I read through the post op and maintenance diet again.

At 5p, I had a visit with my cardiologist. I was able to get a last minute appointment instead of waiting for the end of the month. I had a battery of cardiac test done two months so it worked out well because he was able to give me cardiac clearance. He discussed banding with me and asked if this was what I had wanted. To my surprise, he had my bloodwork results from this morning. He reviewed them with me and there were all normal.

So next week is GI consult on Wednesday. My journey continues.

Lydia

Education session: 4-7-10; Support group meeting: 4-7-10

Labs, Nutrition consult, Cardiac consult/clearance; Abdominal sonogram: 4-8-10:smile:

Wow your day sounds busy. I am jealous because your surgeon allows you coffee and carbonated drinks! Mine has made me give up all caffeine and carbonated beverages. It is hard enough with the 700 cal diet pre op diet but to give up diet soda is a sacrifice. Good luck Newmecoming on your surgery, make sure you let us know how you are doing and any advice you want to pass along. I am trying to keep busy working, cleaning the house etc to keep my mind off food and focused on how great this is going to be. No fatty liver is todays motto.

I would love to have a buddy group if you are interested. My LAP-BAND® is scheduled for April 26th, 2010. I am worried that I won't know what its like to be full. I seem to snack all the time at work. Every nurse will tell you the hospital is full of food. I have gotten used to eating when we Celebrate, eating when I'm depressed or stressed. i am trying to re learn healthy eating habits but it is a struggle.

I would also like to be in the buddy group. Not sure how to set one up. I am learning this site. I have my first appointment in 10 days. I saw my PCP yesterday and she was happy that I was moving forward with Lap-Band surgery. Before I could ask her for copies of my last 5 years of weights, labs and notes she had them copied already.

Congratulations on starting your journey! are you excited? I am excited but feeling pretty lethargic from this 700 cal pre op diet. Make sure you write down all your questions before you go see the surgeon, I forgot everything I wanted to ask once I got there. luckily I found this site that answers just about all my questions. Best of luck to you

Edited by baptistthom

I am also new..to the site..I have been reading for a while but have not contributed. I have found many journeys so inspirational and just an outlet for me to confirm the journey I have begun. Lydia you have been so kind in sharing all your information. I am too from SI. I am hoping for surgery in July. So far-- I have have completed bloodwork, sono of adm..DVT of legs -PCP visits from Jan -- APril is this week. Nutrition is next month with psyc eval...and EGd is tomorrow. Cardiologists at the end of the month. In addition I did the sleep apnea study and yes I have it- 77 episodes in an hr.

Right now one of my big battles is that i have started with my c-pap machine and I am having a heck of time with the mask. Its leaves huge imprints- I am only on night 3 but I am fustrated. Last night at 4AM I had to take it off and just breath ...I do have my follow up with pulmonary in a few weeks so I assume we can work ..

In addition...I am trying to calorie count and reduce my intake to lose weight. I feel I have been unsuccessful..only losing about 7 lbs in 3months. I keep feeling like many and this is my last meal...also when I do really stick to my diet I am fustruated because I am not seeing a decrease in weight.

So this site...is right up my alley and look forward to reading your future posts. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

:):cool2::thumbup:

Hang in there. I had my "last meal" every meal for about 3 weeks before I truly committed to the pre op diet. I kept thinking this would be the last time I ate pizza etc. I finally decided if I keep going that way it truly may be my last meal. I am on day 5 of the 700 cal/day diet and I think it is getting easier. Exactly 2 weeks to lap band day!!

Hang in there. I had my "last meal" every meal for about 3 weeks before I truly committed to the pre op diet. I kept thinking this would be the last time I ate pizza etc. I finally decided if I keep going that way it truly may be my last meal. I am on day 5 of the 700 cal/day diet and I think it is getting easier. Exactly 2 weeks to LAP-BAND® day!!

Good luck you are almost there..EGD this afternoon--and another bad headache from cpap machine.

FYI my brother had the lapband about 5 years ago and he is a nurse too also went to another hospital. Just didn't want everyone knowing..either..despite HIPPA --I think nurses and other people that work shift work have it the hardest...especially nurses...when you care for patients people bring you food..its the universal comfort for everyone to give and receive. :thumbup:

I'm new too! From NC. had 1st doctor visit and have scheduled my nutrition and psych. after that I will have my 2nd Dr. visit. At that time they will schedule my surgery.

I am an assistant principal. Been married for almost 7 years to my DH. We have 2 girls, 3 and 5. One dog, 2 cats, 2 birds, 1 fish, no sleep and no sanity. But a lot of love!

I am 5' 2"

224lbs.

41.5 BMI

very excited!

Sunnysandy have you asked cpap company to fit you for a different mask? maybe they could switch you to just a nasal cpap i heard that is more comfortable. Hang in there, once we are skinny there will be no more need for cpap!

Hi all! Surgery was Monday and I am finally starting to feel like my old self. Anesthesia gives me the most horrible headaches, so my recovery ended up being a little slower than it should have been. That's all behind me now and I am on my way!

The surgery went like clockwork. Started at 7:30 I was in and out within 1.5 hours, in recovery for about three hours and admitted to my room by 1:00. The hospital gave my hubby a beeper to wear in the hospital so that he could be updated regularly with my progress (went it buzzed, go to any hospital phone, give the beeper # and be connected to the nurse - cool!).

Because of the headache, I ended up in the hospital until about 8:00 p.m. Tuesday night. Tuesday was miserable and I pretty much laid in the room with the door shut, TV off and lights off to try to calm my head. Once they found the right Pain med to kill the headache, I got up, did a much-needed walk around the floor and ended up being discharged.

There were no surprises (other than the headache) and it did go well. The CO2 is something I was probably not as prepared for by my doctor as I had wished, but others warned me about the pain. Just move as early as you can to work it loose and release it. It will take a few days for it all to work loose, so just be prepared for some pain.:unsure: The doctor did give me a Rx for some orally-disintegrating Prevacid, which has helped.

I am swollen and bruised (2 incisions), but have zero appetite. Getting my Protein shakes in, plus my Water, keeps me more than satisfied. I am sure that will change a bit once the swelling subsides, but for now, I am very pleased with my decision.

I see my doctor next Thursday for post-op. Until then, no driving and home from work. It could be worse...:thumbup:

I begin my journey on 28 April 2010 with the first meeting at the hospital to begin the process. How long is the average time between the first meeting and an actual surgery date? I hope I can have the surgery done before August.

Hey loppylee are you getting nervous? Monday is almost here! I got my pre op call from the hospital and now I am getting excited and nervous. Good luck on monday let me know how you do so we can compare notes

I begin my journey on 28 April 2010 with the first meeting at the hospital to begin the process. How long is the average time between the first meeting and an actual surgery date? I hope I can have the surgery done before August.

I have heard that it takes approximately six months from the time you started. I started in December 2009 and am now just waiting for word from the surgeon to schedule the surgery. Feel free to email me anytime and we can discuss our process.