Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banding this week and nervous

i've poked around here for a while but i'm just now, as i approach my surgery date, getting involved. i've gone through a rollercoaster of emotions in the past few months. i felt like i leveled out for the most part, until this past week. plain and simple - i'm scared. i'm scared of going through surgery, i'm scared of having something foreign in my body, i'm scared of what life will be like after surgery. i want to get to a place where i am excited about losing the weight i know i need to lose. i'm going through this with my husband. he will be banded a week after me, and he is nervous, but so excited about our future. i want that feeling, but all i can feel right now is fear. i know this is the right decision and that is what keeps me moving forward. i've been morbidly obese for most of my life (if not nearly all) and if i don't drastically change my body and my health, i will end up with the health issues my family has. i don't want that future. i want a better future. i just wish i wasn't so scared of how to get it right now.

it is normal to be nervous, or scared as heck !! but think about it this way...you have been blessed with this gift you are getting ready to receive so take it with an open mind and think of how good you are going to feel, and look.

I have been banded for 3 months now and I feel so good already, and I think to myself how much better I am going to feel in 3 more months. I wont lie it is an mentional rollercoaster at first, you are breaking a habit of eating that you have had for years and years, but you know what it is so worth it !! get ahold of your health before your health gets ahold of you.....ENJOY, I am here to chat anytime. GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

I dido that I was really scared, like wanted to get off the table scared (before I was put out) I have had mine for a year and am really glad I did it. Things will change make sure you have someone to talk to about it. You are lucky you have your hubby who will be going through the same thing as you. If you have questions don't feel scared about posting them someone always has had the problem or the same concern. But know this isn't a fix all it is just a tool and you still have to work at the weight loss. I know you will do great.

I know exactly how you are feeling right now! My surgery is Thursday... As much as I know this is the right decision for me, I find myself second-guessing my decision and worrying about all the unknowns... I think it is a normal part of the process.

Thought I stop by and share my perspective as someone in my 4th year who is loving banded living, and grateful that I have this tool that I've learned to use to achieve and maintain something that always eluded me, a normal healthy weight. I think most of us shared similar fears pre-op. What I can say is that my only regret about being banded is that I wasn't banded earlier. This is a journey. It may help to focus on your goals, very specifically. Why are you doing this? Have your writtten down your goals in terms of health, weight loss and quality of life. Also if you haven't done this already, try to find the courage to take a head on full length before picture. You'll really treasure that picture a year from now, especially when people start telling you that never looked like the person in that picture. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Good luck on your journey.

I thought I'd hop on here and share as well, as I've been banded a week today! I remember that feeling all too well. The nervousness, the "what ifs", etc. But, you know what? I'm a week out and I am so darn happy that it's not even funny. The surgery was easier than I thought first off. I was wheeled in, said hi to the anesthesiologist who told me she was going to give me something to relax me. The last thing I remember, I woke up coughing and was done.

The first few days were rough with the gas and everything but guess what? I'm back to work, I'm feeling great. I'm excited to use my new "toy" as I like to call it. I'm already noticing a change in my eating habits and how I want to take care of both my band and my body. I'm looking forward to being able to shop in a store that is not specific to overweight girls. I want to be able to go on vacation and not feel like the whale sitting next to the pool. It's an amazing feeling to know that you don't always have to be hungry.

Last night I even slept on my stomach. Talk about fast healing. Trust me - it will all be done and over with before you realize it and you'll be ready for the next chapter in your life. Goodness knows that I am looking forward to mine!

Hang in there and if you need support, this board is amazing! I LOVE it! We'll all be there for you! :o

I honestly can't even tell you all how much your responses mean to me. they have brought me so much comfort and given me so much support. the feeling is quite overwhelming. thank you all so very much!

shannybp & loridunla - thank you both for reinforcing the fact that the emotional roller coaster is normal! it is so helpful to hear.

montynic - my surgery is thursday as well! we will be on the exact same path! that is pretty cool.

atgoalgal - i haven't written down my specific goals, but i do have them. the health related ones - and other silly ones (like being able to wrap my arms around my knees :o ) I have already taken a full length picture on the day i truly started this process, and i'm going to take another one on wednesday. i've lost nearly 20 lbs in between just by pre-changing my eating habits and now with the pre-surgery diet.

gingerjane - "I'm looking forward to being able to shop in a store that is not specific to overweight girls." I so relate to this statement it isn't even funny. I just want to be able to shop in old navy again. cute cheap clothes! it was so disappointing when they took their plus sizes out of the store. it was the only place i felt - normalish. getting to shop in a normal girls store buying clothes was something i hadn't done up until that point. i'm really looking forward to doing that again.

Hi there

I had my banding last Friday and felt the same emotions, scared of surgery, scared of failing (once again). I have had previous surgeries and this was the easiest. I was up and about with relative ease on Monday. I have been sticking to the small liquid amounts post op and the weight is coming off. I am daring to be hopeful. I also dont know what it will be like to be in a life without being fat and/or obsessing about food. It will all be a learning curve as I find replacements for the food thinking. Before getting the band I thought I wanted my life back, I now know I dont want my life back , I want a new one. To new beginnings!!