Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Feel Like I'm Going to Relapse

I'm on my pre op diet and I'm not starving but I am craving some meat!!!! I Absolutely love it!!!! I mean I'm craving it so bad I can taste it in my mouth with various sauces!!! I was craving it so bad I snuck a piece to get it out of my system but the desire is still there.

What can I do to get meat of my mind?

How does broth sit with you? Does it help quench the craving at all? I used a lot of chicken and beef broth during my liquid phases...helped to curve the feelings of needing food.

Besides that? You do it because you HAVE to. It's not a choice anymore - you've made the choice to start this journey, and it's too early in the game to let your head mess with you! Go find something else to do when you hit the meat craving :biggrin:.

It's really, really hard---but we all have to give up stuff we love for that finite period of time. And we all survive.

broth is a great idea. But failing that, you really just have to make relapse a non-option. For the next several weeks, you will be telling yourself, "no!" quite a lot; it's not fun, but it's necessary to your success.

The GOOD news is that once you're back on solid foods, Protein will be the mainstay of your diet, and you will be able to enjoy all the meat you can tolerate again.

Try not to interpret this short-term diet as a forever thing. It's not. You can defer your gratification because you know you'll have the meat you're craving again.

I'm not going to lie - the pre-op diet was the hardest part about this surgery...everything else has been a cakewalk.

HOWEVER - this is necessary for the best outcome of your surgery. The surgery will be easier, you'll rebound faster, you'll develop "habits" and discipline (which you will need later) and you'll have a head start on your weight loss!

I had a 500 calorie (mostly Soup and oatmeal) pre-op diet for 3 weeks (I lost 25 pounds). I didn't cheat once - I knew that it was what was best for my body. AND - you won't even remember these 2 weeks in a year, when you're happily living in your NEW body.

You CAN do it!!!!

It's only 2 weeks out of your life and let's face it, eating ALL of the food never got any of us anywhere!!!

The nurse from my program told me it's okay to eat some extra Protein - in fact she told me if I got extremely fatigued or muddle headed to eat a chicken breast. Every program is different. I wasn't allowed any Jello, crystal light or drinks with nutrasweet - go figure.

Deathstroke, I totally hear what you are saying. I am on day 5 of my 2 week pre-op diet. I agree with what everyone has said so far, but I too am having cravings. I just told my co-workers that I am craving toast with butter. I NEVER eat that and I'm craving it, go figure.

I just went to warm up some chicken broth to drink instead. Not quite the same thing, but I've got 9 1/2 days to go and this is a huge and serious step for me, so I want to get off on the right foot.

Good luck with the cravings, the diet and the surgery!

This is easier said than done but you have to convince yourself that you are not hungry or do something to take your mind off of it until it passes.

Go for a short walk or brush your teeth.

It is for a very short time when compared to the rest of your life.

Try to squash any negative feelings you are having towards the process. Try to find the silver lining in it. Even if it is just making a joke out of it or understanding that you are not alone.

A few things that I've tried that have helped:

Make it pretty!

I put the shake in a beautiful glass to make it look special and drink it very slowly. I have various glasses for different types of drinks. I rotate through the pretty glasses. (you can buy fun glasses at dollar stores)

Ice

I bought ice at the store instead of using common ice cubes from the freezer. I use LOTS of ice in another special glass for juice or flavored, no calorie Water. I love different textured ice. If you can crush ice or shave it, it gives you another nice variation.

Peppermint herbal tea

It's a strong flavor, it's hot and comforting, especially at night when I get head cravings for a bedtime snack.< /p>

I try to think about and enjoy the variety of textures, flavors and temperatures of the liquids.

I've heard some people freeze the shakes and eat them like ice cream.

Oh and last but not least ..

CHEERS

Hold your Protein shake up to offer a CHEER with the rest of us! You're not alone!

It's only 2 weeks out of your life and let's face it, eating ALL of the food never got any of us anywhere!!!

This is my Motto....thank you!!!

Meg