Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I've seen the Nutritionist, psychologist and had my blood tests. I've got the letters to support my funding application and I have one more Dr visit before I can apply for my funding. I'm in Australia and I"m applying to my Superannuation Fund to be able to access my own money to pay for this surgery. I've been feeling really good about the surgery and I'm still going to do it. I'm just a bit scared. For instance, how bad is the nausea? Are you vomiting for weeks? are you in pain at the site of the band? How long until all of you could return to work comfortably?

I may also have to have a small bowel biopsy at the same time and a camera stuck in there to have a look for celiac disease and I think this is what has thrown me into disarray. I'm still going ahead with the surgery, nothing is going to stop me there, I'm just feeling worried. I would really appreciate any of your stories about your own post-operative experiences. Thank you so much in advance.

For instance, how bad is the nausea? Are you vomiting for weeks? are you in pain at the site of the band? How long until all of you could return to work comfortably?

I'm a little over 4 weeks out, and haven't experienced any nausea. I had one "stuck" episode, with a pill, just a couple of days after coming home. I felt a sensation of uncomfortable pressure for about 15 minutes, and was fine once it worked its way through. (During that time, I experienced the legendary sliming...but nothing more than that. When it became unstuck, it was really funny---it felt like a clogged drain had become unstuck! I could practically feel the Fluid in my stomach circling the drain as it gurgled though.)

I can't really feel the band at all. I mean, now that I've had a fill, I certainly sense its presence in that I become--or, really, remain--fuller. But there's no sense of pain.

The worst discomfort has been at the port site. But even that has been liveable. I won't mislead you--there IS postoperative pain. But it is short-lived, and easily managed with proper pain medication in the short term.

I was able to work part-time within a couple of days of surgery. I wasn't particularly uncomfortable, but my mental clarity wasn't terrific! I was able, though, to take it easy.

I think I really hit the, "I feel like myself" point at around 10 days postop. I was back to my usual several-miles-a-day walking regimen by that point---so really, the recovery was quite rapid.

Really, the postoperative experience has been WAY easier than I ever would have imagined.

Hi Betsy, thanks heaps for your reply. It's great to hear that the operation needn't necessarily cause me vomiting and lots of pain afterwards. I really want this so much and I think that now that I'm about to apply for the money and set the operation date, it's all becoming very real and I"m realising that I'm about to start a new, lifelong relationship with food and that's scary even though it is definitely something that I want to force myself to do. You sound like you had a really good recovery and your exercise regime sounds fantastic. Every good wish to you in your weight loss journey!

I've got 64 kg or 141lbs to lose so I've got a lot riding on this.

I'm a little over 4 weeks out, and haven't experienced any nausea. I had one "stuck" episode, with a pill, just a couple of days after coming home. I felt a sensation of uncomfortable pressure for about 15 minutes, and was fine once it worked its way through. (During that time, I experienced the legendary sliming...but nothing more than that. When it became unstuck, it was really funny---it felt like a clogged drain had become unstuck! I could practically feel the Fluid in my stomach circling the drain as it gurgled though.)

I can't really feel the band at all. I mean, now that I've had a fill, I certainly sense its presence in that I become--or, really, remain--fuller. But there's no sense of pain.

The worst discomfort has been at the port site. But even that has been liveable. I won't mislead you--there IS postoperative pain. But it is short-lived, and easily managed with proper pain medication in the short term.

I was able to work part-time within a couple of days of surgery. I wasn't particularly uncomfortable, but my mental clarity wasn't terrific! I was able, though, to take it easy.

I think I really hit the, "I feel like myself" point at around 10 days postop. I was back to my usual several-miles-a-day walking regimen by that point---so really, the recovery was quite rapid.

Really, the postoperative experience has been WAY easier than I ever would have imagined.

When I woke up from the surgery I felt terrible! I had nausea and pain. The nausea continued into the night and all night long. I tried to refrain from throwing up because I know it's bad for the band. In the morning the PA came in and took all the Fluid out of my band. By that afternoon I was better and they sent me home. I had a hernia repaired and that may be why I had so much swelling. At home I took my pain meds for about three days and then stopped. I walked almost right away around my neighborhood with my daughters. This helps with the gas pain and healing. From then on it was smooth sailing. Hope this helps!!! Best wishes!!!

I didn't have any nausea. Just gas pain. I was back in school within 7 days and was riding a motorcycle day 9. I felt like it was alot of pain but now that I look back it was just a few days. I stopped taking pain meds day 5. It did take longer for me to sleep on my left side. Once I started on solid food I did start throwing up. I wasn't chewing enough and taking small enough bites. I fiqured it out though and now am 6 weeks post op and can get anything down. The post op recovery is short term compared to the rest of you life. Just take it one day at a time. It may be tough but it's not impossible.

Thanks girls, your stories helped a lot!! It's always good to know what other people have found as it helps you to determine if your experiences are normal in times of worry. For example I now expect that it's completely normal to have pain for about a week but it should decrease after that. The process for getting a band is a long one and it's easy to feel overwhelmed (well I do anyway) but just one step at a time is the way to go. Great to know that there are lovely people on here willing to lend some support and advice. Thanks heaps and congratulations on both of your successes so far!:angry: