Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you doing for exercise?

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I feel like I'm in a rut with exercise and was wondering what many of you are doing? I always walk the treadmill and experiment with many levels, speed, and recently I started jogging/running on it. My question is, other than the treadmill, what do you guys do? I want to workout on the machines at the gym but don't know what I should be doing. Unfortunately I can't afford a personal trainer, so that's not an option for me. Any suggestions??? Thanks!:thumbup:

I have been doing Couch-To-5K, and on my "rest" days, get some walking in.

At my pre-op Boot Camp, the physical therapist really stressed getting different types of exercise: cardio (like running/walking/cycling), strength training (like weights, resistance), stretching (like yoga), core training (like pilates). So, I'm really getting all my cardio, and I believe that my gym has personal trainer sessions for $25 -- something I could afford ONE time to get in gear with weights and core training.

I'm proud of where I am, but know that I need to expand to more than just cardio. Always have goals! :-)

Depends on what you mean by *exercise*. According to the experts, exercise involves things like target heart rate, cardio, yada yada. I can't be bothered.

However, as the weight is coming off, I'm enjoying a much more active lifestyle. My husband, son and I have been competing against each other with the games on our Wii Fit. Who knew that virtual hula hoops was a killer??

Instead of sending my husband out to shovel the 14" of snow we got yesterday, I went out and shoveled steadily for 30 minutes and then spent another 15 minutes clearing off the car. Then we took the snowshoes down and had a great time slogging around the fields over 4' drifts and having a snowball fight.

I just found out someone is teaching Tai Chi classes locally, so I'm going to sign up for them. Something I've always wanted to do but felt too ungainly and uncoordinated to do before.

My "regular" workout is about 30-35 minutes on the elliptical and 20-25 minutes on the strength machines at the local Y about 3-4 days/week. On other days or when the weather is too crappy to go out, I pop in my Zumba CD, Leslie Sansone CD, or the Wii Fit, or the mini-elliptical we have at home to do that. The main thing is just get busy for 30-45 minutes moving!

Dance, bundle up and get out walking, rollerskate, bowl...heck sweat to the oldies of you want, just move!

I'm not an exercise nut, and I can be a bit of a sloth on some days, but I've tried to incorporate more activity in my lifestyle. Every little bit helps!

I have been overweight/obese my entire life, but I have always been a fit fatty...if that makes any sense.

The best shape I have ever been in, I did Body For Life and got down to a sort of tone size 14. You can buy the book for $20 or less and it gives very good demonstrations about strength training exercising. I am thinking about resurrecting the book!! I have always exercised 5 days a week, but it is funny how much more motivation I have now that I am seeing some downward movement on the scale. Last week I actually hit the gym twice in one day!

I'm using the Wii Fit. I like it - you can exercise at home, start at the beginning level and work your way up, and it keeps up with your weight, BMI, and the calories you burn with each exercise. You need the Wii Fit system with a balance board. There are tons of exercises that are fun, and there's all types of yoga.

Walking is the best exercise you can do to start out. Try to increase your walk by 5 or 10 minutes every time.

When I'm watching TV, I sit on a big balance ball and just bounce up and down. Not hard, but it's mild cardio.

Whatever you do, just get moving!!!

I try to change it up from time to time. I love doing the elliptical, well not really but I get a great workout on it. I am up to 31 min and hoping to get up to 45 min! I also do the kettle bell which I really like. I do the bicycle, the treadmill, strength training. I want to buy a jump rope too! I like to do different things to keep from getting bored and so my body doesn't get used to it! Whatever it is I decide to do that day I try to do at least 30 min!

Hi:

Since the fall I've been walking and jogging on my mini trampoline. However, I love to exercise in the spring and summer on my trikke. Here's a link to check it out.

Here's a link to the trikketalk site where you'll see lots of people having alot of fun

www.trikketalk.com

It works out your body from your chest down, and your arms too. It's so much fun it doesn't feel like exercise. I did a 24 mile ride last summer. Felt like a marathon to me!

I love my band and my new flat tummy.

Sue

Hi,

I just dance around the house...do weights 10 minutes a day......and stairmaster 3 times a week for 30 minutes...also been shoveling snow everyday. lol

How in the world do you virtual picture just love that...

I have an extreme fit program. It's almost just like the Wii but so much cheaper. It has all kinds of exercises on it including yoga. It also has arcade games. You can change up the exercises from day to day so you don't get bored with it.

I don't do any outside exercises as yet. I joined the YMCA but haven't had the chance to go but one time so far. This winter has been so cold this year, even in the South, and my old joints hurt so much that I don't get out much. I feel so lucky that I have lost enough weight to start climbing my stairs at home & church. This time last year, I was unable to climb any stairs and had to take the church elevator. I didn't go upstairs in my house for over a year. Now, I am breathing better and my legs are better & stronger. I can do armchair exercises also. I am looking forward to doing something more soon.

I had almost given up completely when my health started failing me but I now have a new lease on life and I'm looking forward to a healthier year.

Hi,

Banded on sept. 16th. 09. Total lost all together 32.5 pounds. Stalled at the moment, I need another fill, but holding my own. I started out walking but 3 weeks ago bumped it up to P90X, its a series of 12 DVD's, very very hard, beachbody.com puts it out. Its an incredibel workout I absolutely love it. When im done I know ive done a workout. 45 to 60 minutes a day for 6 days and then day off. I have to get up early to do it because if I wait until the end of the day im too tired to do it,:scared2:lol. I get another fill in early march, and im soooooo very close to the sweet spot:thumbup:! Hopefully this is it.

I haven't joined a gym but they won't let me anyhow. I have this strange problem with static, I build up alot when on treadmills etc and when I touch the panel I blow out the machine. I know, sounds funny but the gym I used to belong to gave me all my money back and asked me not to return... I shock myself and family daily, they try and avoid touching me in the winter. I couldnt' do the gym right now however due to my disabilities.

I did the WII sport fitness last week once.. I hurt for 4 days. I only got through about 15 minutes of the 30 minute cycle before my legs gave out. I will probably try it again this week, hoping the hurt will only be 2 days this time.

Other than that I walk up and down my stairs a few times a day, sometimes up to 10. I used to have my bedroom down in the dining room because I couldn't climb the stairs, but my boys moved it back upstairs when I lost some weight.

I am disabled due to chemo after effects and my legs go numb at times and I fall. That has lessened since losing some weight so I plan on trying to walk around the block when it warms up a bit. I do have a cane and walker but hate to use them since I am only 55.

I'm doing the turbo jam dvds, beachbody.com sells them but they're much easier than P90x. I have problems with my knees and ankles, so I didn't want to do too much jumping around until I got stronger. I read a while back that if you have knee pain, you should strengthen your quads and that's the best advice I've ever gotten. The turbo jam sculpt dvd has worked miracles. My goal is to do the P90x after I've mastered turbo jam.

I also go to the gym and do the elliptical trainer. I do intervals where I go at an easy pace for 4 minutes and then minute 5, I sprint as fast as I can. I've been slacking on the elliptical for years but I really get a good workout this way.

I want to incorporate yoga at some point, but I haven't figured out how to fit it in yet.

Exercise has really helped me out alot because I was so depressed after getting banded in Sept and not really getting results and even gaining weight back. Even after I started working out, I didn't lose any weight, but I felt soooo much better about myself. Now I've finally got some restriction and I'm toned, my cellulite is going away, I feel muscles, I'm stronger, I have more energy and now I'm losing weight.

In a way I'm happy I struggled so much because I think I was waiting for the band to do everything for me, especially since I paid all this money for it. But now that I am working so hard along with the band, I feel like I'm earning every pound lost and I have a real since of accomplishment.

I have Turbo Jam also that I bought way back when...along with Slim-in-6. I have been thinking about dusting them off and to start using them. Do you feel like you get a good workout from the Turbo Jam? I love watching the infomercials, they motivate me. Sounds dumb, but I feel like I don't get in a good workout unless I go to the gym. Maybe it's a mental thing, I don't know. I'm looking to boost what I'm already doing. Thank you everyone for all of your responses!