Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! I dont know what to do!

Hi, I was banded a little over a month ago and am now on solids... I have been doing pretty well, other than without the band, I have always had a difficult time getting thing down. I dont know way, maybe its my body, because this happens to my dad too... When I eat (before the band) I had to drink, if not I would get hiccups and just have a hard time getting this down. Now with the band, its even harder! I've ALWAYS had to drink if i am eating something. even if its soft/crispy. Anyhow, i've delt with it because I have an appointment in Feb. and im supposed to be flying down to see the doctor and get my first fill. I actually think i need to get the bad un-filled a little!! Its just too difficult to eat! even if i chew and chew and chew....

Anyways, Last night some chicken (really tender) got stuck and i had a swig of Water (i know im not supposed to :S) and after a while it went down. I haven't been in any pain ever since, but after that, everything i drink just seems to sit on top... Its not like I throw up but if i just push a little, it comes right back up. I have tried everything to get un-stuck (although, i have no pain so i dont know if technically, im stuck) pineapple juice, hot tea, olive oil, honey, everything!!

Everythign just seems to sit on top and i can bend over and just spit it out. I do feel like there's something there maybe but i have to pain.

Now, i tried to make myself throw up (as it seems to be everyone answer in other threads) but nothing comes up! only foam, and the water i've had! I keep trying but it just doesnt work!

Can anyone give me any suggestions?? I really can't afford going into the ER or anything like that, and already have my ticket to leave in February and see the doctor.

Could my band have slipped, even though i have absolutely no pain??

Im sorry im such a newby, but thaanks in advance!!

Thanks for replying. I guess im not that scared, because it doesn't hurt, but maybe I should be? :thumbup:

So, when you get swollen, you can get anything down?

(and im also foaming every now and then)

Hard to say. Back off to liquids and soft mushies forthe majority of your intake. then only limited quatities of well cut up solids

Sorry all of that happened!

It doesn't seem like a slip. My band just actually slipped, and during that process I wasn't able to keep down anything (food or liquid).

Try being gentle with liquids during this time and I hope you feel better xoxo

Hello everyone!

I wanted to let you know that though it has been hard, i followed your advise.... i had liquids the next day, and after that. Yesterday had some mashed potatoes and it was not bad at all. This morning experimented with really toasted toast :sifone: whole wheat of course. And although I was full really quickly, it stayed down.

I am pretty sure, though, most things still get stuck. I just feel like maybe my fill (first fill i guess?) is too tight. I really can't remember how many ccs he put in.

I was wondering if you guys think maybe i should have some liquid taked out or if maybe my puch is still to sore or "new" and maybe thats why i get stuck and full so quickly.

Im thinking maybe ill survive with drinks and mushies until i reach my goal weight :):P but thats crazy hard i imagine!

Any thoughts??

ps: also, what should I really avoid to not have my band slip?? (as i CANNOT aford it under any circumstances!)

I've been told that to avoid having the band slip is to avoid vomiting.

You should not have to stick with liquids and mushies until you've lost the weight you want to lose. If you've had a stuck episode or just been filled you will likely have some swelling and need to stick to liquids and mushies for up to a few days. I also find I get tighter when under higher stress, at the beginning of my period, and in the mornings, which I think is fairly common from what I've read on this site, so you have to take those possibilities into account too.

If you are still getting full too quickly you may need a little taken out of your band. Unfortunately there is not a perfect fill that will last the entire time you have the band, loss (or gaining) of fat may occur near the band and it may need the amount of Fluid adjusted. to achieve the proper restriction.

I also used to always feel a need to drink with meals but I didn't chew as much as I do now. I've had trouble adjusting to just how much and how important it is to chew, chew, chew - if I don't concentrate on that I usually have a little trouble. Also foods are different too, some just can't seem to be chewed enough to stay down. You need to learn which foods fall in that category too.

Good Luck.

To be honest my biggest issue that caused the slip was vomiting.

If you find yourself vomiting or things getting stuck and you need to make yourself vomit that is a RED FLAG that something needs to change. Either your eating habits or your fill something would need to be fixed.

Talking to my doctor as well, he said a food to completely stay away from that has caused many slips for patients (and probably helped lead to mine) is popcorn. I was really sad because I do enjoy popcorn, but for me I've had to add to the "forbidden" list along with rice.

You know, it may just be a matter of getting used to your restriction. I was banded on November 16 and had a small fill on December 3. I was restricted, but only by quantity of food and not types of food. Almost 4 weeks ago I had an agressive fill and just this past week have finally begun to be able to eat and drink without a problem. I attribute this to my learning what and how to eat. I was begining to think I was too tight, but now I don't. I even went as far as calling my doctor and from what he said, if I could drink and it went down and stayed down, I wasn't too tight.

I will also tell you that there are some kinds of chicken that I can eat and some that I can't.......you might just need to learn what your new tummy can and can't handle and that will be by trail and error!

Hang in there.....that's what everyone told me and it was true!:lol:

Agree, your tummy will tell you. I'm 14 months post surgery and it has been a roller coaster ride. someone at this site called it that, it is. . some days I can eat anything, other days,the morning starts with difficuty getting Fluid down. A lot of facters,e.g. sinus problems, what you ate and drank yesterday, bloaring, will affect it. I just had my gall blader out. It contributed to a lot of my issues this 1st year,too.