Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got banded on dec 30 & I get my first fill next week. I feel like I have quite possibly GAINED weight since my procedure. my dr. put me on a post op liquid diet for 4 days and then mushies for only about a week. initially, I felt good because I lost about 7lbs by the time of my two week post-op. HOWEVER, as of the past two weeks my appetitie has been downright insatiable...oh man, over the past two weeks I have been really struggling and afraid to weigh myself but I think Im pretty much the same weight I as before the procedure. my doctor said that right now I am not to worry about diet and that I only need to be healing until my fill. I havnt lost a thing & its sooo depressing and anti-climactic. I have even pushed myself to start excercising but sooo hungry. I did so bad with my eating and will power I was an inch from taking my phentermine diet pills that I had a major problem with once upon a time.

I paid cash for this procedure, went through sooo much pain & and although I know its just an aid and not a cure-all...Im struggling as much as ever and really feeling down and defeated and ashamed with my eating , today especially.

Don't feel bad....you have to realize that your band is not yet filled to give you that restriction....remember you had surgery so its swollen where the band is and they slowly fill your band as the swollen gets better. Once you hit what they call your sweet spot and feel full after 1 cup of food...then you will be able to control your portions and feel full....right now...just hang in there and try to eat healthier foods....if you don't lose who cares! Just don't gain any from today on and you will be fine....plus feeling depressed is only gonna make you wanna eat more...the band takes time just be patient...it doesn't work as fast as the gastric bypass and sleeve

I don't plan on gaining but my doctor said its normal and perfectly alright to gain prior to your first fill. This is a time for healing and not necessarily weight loss.

Sparkles,

I am glad you joined us here. I am self pay too. After my surgery, liquid and mushie stage I gained weight.

Before the lap band I was always hungry. I was hungry when I finished eating. I could eat twice as much as other people. So I had the lap band done because I was tired of being hungry. Then guess what? I was still hungry, I was so mad at myself for spending $10K for nothing.

Then I had my first fill and when I went to regular food a few days later, I got full! And I stayed full! Well for a little while I did. Then I had my second fill and it was even better. Now the only time I struggle with hunger is if I let myself get too hungry before I eat then I want to eat the rest of the day but my band wont let me. I physically can't overeat.

I have been steadly losing 2 lbs a week since. Plus I havent been exercising so I know I could do better, if I wouldnt be so lazy.

I have faith that it will be the same for you. Remember if the lap band worked by just being around your stomach it wouldnt even have the port, they would just put it in.

The stage your in is like having a car with no gas in it. You will get some gas next week at your first fill then you can start going somewhere.

BTW, I blame diet pills for ruining my metabolism. I think they are the worst things on the planet. Throw them away. Please.

Keep in mind your gender matters. What I mean is that being female you have two sides of your cycle. Pre and post. Pre, for about 2 weeks, I have to constantly fight with myself to resist temptatiions. Salty, crunchy, etc, and when I stop to think about it my stomach isn't asking for the food, its my brain. So I drink a glass of Water, tell myself to move on and feel very proud of myself when I think that not long ago I would have endulged. I hit a plateau about a month back for several weeks, and believe it or not they removed some Fluid. This month I've lost again, 7 lbs. and I'm feeling confindent that I made the right decision. Down a total of 57 lbs. since my journey began (procedure in Aug) Just remember that it took a long time to put us in the condition that required the LAP-BAND®, patience, and perseverance will pay off. I also see a big differnce working out.

I completely identify with how you feel! I was STARVING 2 days post op and pretty much felt that way for weeks. Each fill will bring you closer to eating less and not feeling hungry all the time. I just went for my 3rd fill and the nurse told me that I should be losing 4 lbs/month. I wish someone had told me that before because then my expectations would not have been so high! I try to focus on the fact that I would not have lost a pound each week without the band. You are in the worst stage right now. If you are anything like me, you willpower is not that great, but that's kind of what you are relying on now. Don't stress out. It DOES get better, but be prepared to practice patience until your fills kick in.

Good Luck!

Sparkles,

I am glad you joined us here. I am self pay too. After my surgery, liquid and mushie stage I gained weight.

Before the LAP-BAND® I was always hungry. I was hungry when I finished eating. I could eat twice as much as other people. So I had the LAP-BAND® done because I was tired of being hungry. Then guess what? I was still hungry, I was so mad at myself for spending $10K for nothing.

Then I had my first fill and when I went to regular food a few days later, I got full! And I stayed full! Well for a little while I did. Then I had my second fill and it was even better. Now the only time I struggle with hunger is if I let myself get too hungry before I eat then I want to eat the rest of the day but my band wont let me. I physically can't overeat.

I have been steadly losing 2 lbs a week since. Plus I havent been exercising so I know I could do better, if I wouldnt be so lazy.

I have faith that it will be the same for you. Remember if the LAP-BAND® worked by just being around your stomach it wouldnt even have the port, they would just put it in.

The stage your in is like having a car with no gas in it. You will get some gas next week at your first fill then you can start going somewhere.

BTW, I blame diet pills for ruining my metabolism. I think they are the worst things on the planet. Throw them away. Please.

Your post and the others are inspiring. I am in the same boat as the OP. I was banded on Dec. 16th and started with an empty band due to complications. I have had one fill and will get my second fill on Feb. 8th. Thank goodness that once the healing process is over my doc does fills every two weeks.

To the OP: just hand in there. As soon as you reach true restriction you will lose as others have stated. I know how you feel and was depressed for some time. I also felt that it was anticlimatic. I went to a support group meeting and met people with restriction. Find out if there are any support groups in your area. I know there is a site: meetup.com. Check on there or with your local hospital. It really helped me to meet others who now are losing with restriction. Best wishes!!!

Thankeveryone!!! I get my fill on thursday. yay.

I have to admit that I did an ultimate no-no and took a diet pill today. I finally had no problem with eating. but Im going to take one poster's advice and give them away.

at least I have been eating healthy since the surgery...but Portion Control is what i have been struggling with. Ill keep you all posted. and am so very thankful that I found this board. I was really really depressed this weekend. but feeling a little better now.

Glad to hear you are better. Just remember that it can take many fills to reach true restriction so don't get down if your fill doesn't last long.

Gaining after surgery is not surprising if you look at the biology of the pre-op diet. You starved your liver of its short term energy resources and shrank it. For every unit of energy stored in the liver TWO units of Water are stored. This is partially why you drop weight like crazy during the pre-op: you're losing Water from your liver. As soon as you go back to eating carbs and sugars of any form, your liver hoards the energy and stocks up again. It's supposed to do this.

So a lot of the weight you gain right after surgery is water back into the liver. Water is very heavy... one cup is 250g, or a little over half a pound. If you weighed yourself throughout the day, your weight could fluctuate by a couple of pounds depending on how much water is in you.

The little fluctuations do not matter. Go with the bigger trend. Stay off your scale until you have restriction or you will drive yourself batty. Been there, doing it now.