Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to be Removed

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I have posted on this message board. I have had the band since 2005 and had one revision surgery in 2006 because of slip. Initially I lost about 85 pounds and have stayed pretty much the same since that initial weight loss. I still have about 50 pounds to go to get to my goal weight. Since May 09 I have had some trouble digesting, food was getting stuck and I would wake up in the middle of the night with severe reflux.

Anyway, long story longer- I'm getting the band removed on Feb.8th because of another slip. I am getting the band removed and nothing put back in because I have had two slips with the band, I'm unsure if I want to do this again but I know that I need something to help me reach my goal.

I'm having a really hard time realizing that the band is coming out. I know it has to come out because of the slip and I will feel better physically after but I'm an emotional wreck and often find myself getting very upset about potentially gaining weight back.

I'm more or less just venting to people who understand and see if anyone has any words of encouragement or things they have found that work after band removal!

Thanks

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I've read posts from people who had problems that necessitated removing their bands who were revised to a vertical sleeve gastrectory. There are threads here about it. As best I understand it, it is a surgical reduction of your stomach but no bypass, which is the second part of a gastric bypass procedure. Why don't you talk to your doctor about possible revision options?

Kate;

Before you give up entirely on the band, consider seeing a different Surgeon. There is a reason why your band has slipped twice, and it may have something to do with the way it has been put in.

Remember, Surgeons are like mechanics, or any other profession, really.....there are some good ones, some excellent ones, some not-so-good ones, and some horrible ones.

Go out and get a second opinion....you may have simply made a poor choice for a surgeon.

Also make sure that you are following the eating protocol presented by your Team. There are things that you could be doing that could doing would contribute to the slippage....that is probably not the case, but you need to consider everything.

I would do some research and find a very experienced and reputable surgeon.....make sure that you are very thorough in your investigation of your new surgeon...you want the best to help you through this....

I had my band removed March 1, 2009 because of a slip. At that time I weighted 163..only 8 pounds away from my personal goal. I have gained 30 lbs. since then and am totally disgusted with myself. :cursing:I am going to have the band put back on Feb. 11. I am keeping the same surgeon that put it in the first time. It was not his fault that it slipped. He is amazing. I am so thrilled to have this second chance.

I hope that you get better with your band removal and have different results than myself. It is totally a personal decision what you do from that point on. Trust me, you will have lots of people giving their opinions about how they feel about the band, your weight loss, etc. I am so tired of hearing it that I have only told a select few that I am having it replaced.

Thank you for your replies to my post- it is helpful knowing that there are people out there who understand what I am going through. I'm looking at all my options and going back to my nutritionist and support group to figure out what I can do better both with my eating habits and with another potential weight loss surgery. Congrats Tweety of having the band put back in!

Thank you for your replies to my post- it is helpful knowing that there are people out there who understand what I am going through. I'm looking at all my options and going back to my nutritionist and support group to figure out what I can do better both with my eating habits and with another potential weight loss surgery. Congrats Tweety of having the band put back in!

I think I'm going to have mine put back in as well. I go back to my surgeon on Friday to tell him my decision. I looked at the VSG but getting 2/3 of your stomach cut off for a surgery that has not been studied long term is a little much for me. I have always been against cutting my stomach open....