Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi... :eek: This is my first post on LapBandTalk. I sure hope that I'm doing this right. I hate to make silly mistakes. :tt1: Anyway, I have a question that I hope some of you can answer for me. I have been banded about 3 months now, and have had two fills. After surgery and after my first fill, I had no restriction and therefore I had no change in my appetite and everything went down just fine. After my second fill, I got stuck and had the accompanying foaming and pain a few times. I don't know whether I ate too much, or didn't chew well enough. (Anyway, I'm trying to be more careful.) My question is.... how do I know I'm full? Will I PB only with getting stuck, or also with eating too much? I appreciate any and all knowledge and experience you might want to share with me. Thank you !

I have found when I get full I get the hiccups and start having discomfort in my chest area

For me, it is a whisper of satiety. If I get full, there is discomfort. Slime is only with getting stuck.

A juicy burp can happen any time during or right after a meal for me. That doesn't mean I am stuck.

And for me, burping means things are moving and NOT stuck, a good sign!

Denise

Thank you for your reply. I think that I need to listen more closely to my body for that "whisper." Thank you for giving me that word. It really seems to fit what I need to be watching for. I'm sure that the episodes I've had are from getting stuck. I will continue to chew chew chew, and go slowly. I am trying to learn to eat mindfully. Blessings.......

weight.png

Hi:

I can get a hiccup or a burp or a runny nose if I'm full. At the first sign of being full I have to stop or I will have a PB. I can slime sometimes from a PB too. If you find that your full signal comes after only 1/2 cup of food, then that's probably all you need for a while. Then, you'll start to notice that you can eat 3/4 or 1 cup and that's probably when it's time to get another fill.

Best wishes to you newbie!

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Try keeping yourself honest about how fast you are eating by using a stop watch - it worked wonders for me - I have not had a PB since. You are likely not stuck but likely eating too fast - this is a learning process. Chew for 30 seconds swallow; wait 30 seconds then take your next bite. See if that helps. The more restriction you get the more you will need to watch this. It took me 3 months to figure this out.

I got stuck so bad today I thought I was having a heart attack (except it was way up high in my chest) I figured the band was lower than that, the pain was up between my breasts....thats stuck right? I am confuzed too, I am not feeling full after a meal but like today after my 1/2 hour ordeal I didnt want to eat anymore it hurt too bad but I was not full. Then tonight after what should have been a very satifsfying dinner I still feel hungry? What gives?

Thank you for your reply. I think that I need to listen more closely to my body for that "whisper." Thank you for giving me that word. It really seems to fit what I need to be watching for. I'm sure that the episodes I've had are from getting stuck. I will continue to chew chew chew, and go slowly. I am trying to learn to eat mindfully. Blessings.......

weight.png

You are welcome! I borrowed the whisper from a poster here back around the time I was banded. "Paying it forward" as it were. It helps me alot. Listen for the whipser, don't wait until the band is screaming at you! :)

But my doc told me that I should not go for "full" but for satisfied. That is a tough distinction for someone who loves to eat like I do.

Before I begin each meal I say chew, chew, chew, and listen for the whisper! It helps to slow me down and be more aware of what I am doing, since eating fast and mindlessly are two of my problems.

Take care!

Denise

I have never had that really full like you can't take another bite feeling! I just try to measure my portions and stick to it. I have had a few really bad stuck events and they were all my own fault. I have to remember not to get overly hungry because then I don't chew well enough, and I take larger bites then I should. The biggest thing for me is not chewing enough. I am trying!!

I have never had that really full like you can't take another bite feeling! I just try to measure my portions and stick to it. I have had a few really bad stuck events and they were all my own fault. I have to remember not to get overly hungry because then I don't chew well enough, and I take larger bites then I should. The biggest thing for me is not chewing enough. I am trying!!

The getting overly hungry thing is SUCH a good point. I tend to eat much too fast and not chew enough if I let myself get too hungry.

Also, my hunger feels the same as pre-surgery. So, I feel like I should be able to eat the same, and the old ways try to come out with little success. Often with negative experiences.

Denise

I like that...listening for the whisper. I was trying to explain to someone what it felt like when I was 'full' but it was hard to explain. All I know is that I 'just know' when it's time to put the fork down. I felt content and satisfied. The couple times I ignored that 'whisper', the next bite just sat there and I was uncomfortable for a good 10 minutes.